Commuting on a Roadie w/out a Backpack

Tee Man

Likes Bikes
So I'm pretty over having to wear a backpack on my daily commute. Doesn't do anything for when it's b*tching hot, and just gets you all sweaty during winter just to help that chill cut you in half a little easier.

I'm on a roadie so I don't have any pannier mounts or anything like that. Anyone got any suggestions? I don't have to carry much:

- Bike spares (2 tubes, 2 canisters, multi tool, levers)
- Undies & socks
- Wallet and phone

But I don't want to have to try and jam things into a "standard" size saddle bag or similar.

Something like this perhaps, a big fark off saddle bag?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Topeak_Aero_Wedge_Buckle_On_Large_Saddle_Bag/5360006686/

Just wondering whether anyone else has trodden down this path before.

Cheers.

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could use something like this tool bottle to hold some of it and the rest in jersey pockets.

I drive to work once or twice a week to leave new clothes and take the old ones home and take home and return work.

akashra

Eats Squid
Buy another set of shoes you can leave at work, and leave a few days worth of clothes at work.

Generally I either drive to work or commute with the backpack full of clothes on Monday, leaving the rest of the weeks stuff there. Shoes are the biggest problem. The rest I could get away with a small drawstring bag.

I am in the same boat with commuting to work.

At one stage I was taking work boots, full uniform and a towel, powder, shower gel, the list goes on.
I think it is a smart idea to drive the first day and then leave it there, or leave a collection of clean clothes at work and take them home on the last day for wash?

Alternatively, you can ride the first day with the backpack full of stuff to keep at work, at least it's only one day, two if you count riding home at the end of the week with the clothes?

DW-1

Dirt Works
So I'm pretty over having to wear a backpack on my daily commute. Doesn't do anything for when it's b*tching hot, and just gets you all sweaty during winter just to help that chill cut you in half a little easier.

I'm on a roadie so I don't have any pannier mounts or anything like that. Anyone got any suggestions? I don't have to carry much:

- Bike spares (2 tubes, 2 canisters, multi tool, levers)
- Undies & socks
- Wallet and phone
Cheers.
perhaps one of these: www.deltacycle.com/Bags-Quickbag

or similar... Topeak do a range of similar items. I've used them on various bikes over the years. The Delta one can carry: shoes, socks, jocks, a towl, shirt and pants with space to spare...

Plus they're easy to fit/remove when needed.

Elvis.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Leave a collection of undies & socks at work, the rest will fit in jersey pockets.
Or just drop a couple of week's clothes in from time to time and ride just with a small saddle pack for the rest of the time. Alternatively, get one of those backpacks which are supported off your back with a mesh, they get pretty good airflow.

ghettro

Squid
I use an old school carradice saddlebag, the one I have is only one of the smaller ones (7 Litres capacity) but it is more than enough to carry clothes, tools, pump, spare tubes, lock etc. Also it acts a bit like a small rack, you can strap down stuff on top of the bag itself. see here for pics
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...-your-Roadie&p=2056164&viewfull=1#post2056164

They have a more modern version like this which you can get from wiggle for under $100
http://www.sydneycyclist.com/profiles/blogs/1321712:BlogPost:8627

Although I wouldn't be using a carbon seatpost to support it though.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Leave a collection of undies & socks at work, the rest will fit in jersey pockets.
Best suggestion and also leave work shoes at work as you dont need them whilst riding.

Failing this, get a basket with flowers on it for the front with a silky terrior in it to act as security! :p

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
That Topeak saddle bag is what I use on the roadie. It's big enough to carry, multitool, tube, Park patch stickers, tyre levers, powerlink, CO2 canister and pump. When you use the zip to expand it it's also big enough to fit wallet, keys, phone, pass and undies. I just wear my work socks cycling and leave the rest of my work clothes at work with a towel.

scoobydid

Likes Dirt
I've got one of the Topeak seatpost mounted racks and it's not a bad system. The Topeak bag I have (without the fold out pockets) holds about 7 litres of gear; enough to hold a rolled up shirt and trousers, underwear, keys, phone etc. I use a bottle mounted tool holder for tools, tubes etc.

As others have suggested, take extra clothing to work on the days you're not cycling. Also, I bought a couple of cheap pairs of shoes which I leave at work (one dress and one casual for mufti days). Much easier than carrying them in.

Tee Man

Likes Bikes
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Seems like leaving stuff at work is definitely the way to go. Bike spares are going in a standard saddle bag and the rest in jersey pockets. Win.

paggnr

Likes Dirt
jersy pockets and a bum bag to carry phone, wallet, pump, ipod, arm warmers/rain jacket as required.

Seat bag for tube and tools.