Commuting

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I commute to work most days. Shortest to work is 13kms longest is about 40km. I normally ride the short way home. Some Fridays i do a longer 60km ride home with about 25km on dirt.

Its good to finish the week off with a ride through the bush then down past the beach.
You're definitely living the dream! :)

The only body of water I see on the way home is if I go past the water treatment plant.

Lorday

Eats Squid
Who else commutes on the M4 in Sydney?

Since the M2 is offlimits for the road widening works, I now have to brave the M4. Have done so for about 2 months now. I have not seen ONE other bike in that time.

I commute from Baulkham Hills to Circular Quay once a week, its approx. 35km each way. Takes about an hour. Less than an hour on the way to work, a bit over the hour home.
I'm be starting this soon, but I need to scope out a route. Kellyville to UNSW (Randwick). Anyone help out with this?

akashra

Eats Squid
Three days a week is enough for me, but weather can often kill that idea. I've switched around jobs a bit in the last few years, but generally it's been 40km if I take bike paths, or 30km if I go straight down main roads. Problem with the latter is there's no bike lanes, it's not entirely bike friendly etc.

I'd be curious at what point others say roads aren't worth the risk. In my case, on one hand the road route is ~70 minutes, but the XC route is closer to 90+ minutes. Is the time saved worth the risk? :/

nicknopants

Likes Bikes
I commute to work most days. Shortest to work is 13kms longest is about 40km. I normally ride the short way home. Some Fridays i do a longer 60km ride home with about 25km on dirt.

what setup do you have there? Cyclocross? What tyres are those?

I like it!

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
I'd be curious at what point others say roads aren't worth the risk. In my case, on one hand the road route is ~70 minutes, but the XC route is closer to 90+ minutes. Is the time saved worth the risk? :/
It's a good question.

I go out of my way to avoid main roads, happily riding bike paths and side streets where I can. In one part of my ride (the Pymble railway bridge) it's stupid narrow so I ride/walk the footpath.

Life's too short to phaff around with irate drivers, especially in afternoon peak hour traffic.

Still 20 minutes saved each way is tempting, though I reckon it is a siren song ... chalk it up as training ...

Last edited:

struggles

Likes Dirt
what setup do you have there? Cyclocross? What tyres are those?

I like it!
Yes its a cyclocross bike. Tyres are Maxxis Raze in 35mm. Only got 620kms out of the back one though, so currently looking for something that will last me a bit longer.

scblack

Leucocholic
I'm be starting this soon, but I need to scope out a route. Kellyville to UNSW (Randwick). Anyone help out with this?
Here's the route I use, courtesy of Vandenberg:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Baulkham-Hills-to-Sydney-CBD-via-M4

The only bit to note is coming from Hills along the M4 just after you get on the M4 there is a bridge with verge only a foot wide. But its only for 20m or so. You can stay on some sort of bike path to Silverwater Road from James Ruse Drive if this worries you.

al_

Likes Dirt
I would take the extra 20 minutes for peace of mind. I was riding home yesterday and had a minor disagreement with a woman who drove straight out in front of me. I made an exasperated gesture which led to a less than polite verbal exchange... while it was pretty minor, it wasn't very pleasant and pissed me right off.

Seeing a cyclist looking very average surrounded by paramedics in Lonsdale St this morning put it in perspective too.

I would take a bike path every time. Unfortunately there aren't many between St kilda and the city...

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
20min extra is worth it for the commute. I would also take into account that you are probably riding for longer compared to waiting at traffic lights. As said before just consider it extra training. Best where possible to get off the road. Now I just wish I had some sweet single track to ride on the way home.

I head an extra 3kms each way so that I can use a good quality bike lane rather than mix it with traffic on Kooyong or Glenferrie Road in Melbourne. I also ride defensively and that maybe why I have not had an accident in 5 years of commuting.

al_

Likes Dirt
I just changed my route after this thread - now a few kms longer, but mostly away from roads.

I can't believe how much more pleasant it is. Now i follow Southbank down to South Wharf, then take the park alongside the tramline to Port Melb then down the bike path along the foreshore to St Kilda. This route is 100% better - only problem is that tomorrow is my last day working in the city...

I understand that it is important for bikes to have an entitlement to use the roads, but i can't understand why anybody would surround themselves with cars if not absolutely necessary.

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
Look what I did on my commute this morning ...

Kona.JPG

Finished the journey by train ... *sigh* ... sadly I don't carry a spare crank.

al_

Likes Dirt
Impressive. My cranks have fallen off a few times, but i've never managed that.

Did you have Spanish steaks for lunch?

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
Did you have Spanish steaks for lunch?
Took me a moment, nice ... Not a hint of clenbuterol in my sangers!

I'm not sure if I should be dismayed or pleased about it. Regardless, the offending crank arm is going straight to the pool room ...

Science

Likes Dirt
Good observation. It's not obvious from the photo but I ride a single speed (42:16). At the time of the failure I was winding up from stationary on an incline: thank goodness for stand over clearance ...
oh god, i'm gunna have to check the strength of my fixie's cranks now... i run 42:14 gearing!