Compact Gearing - Pros and Cons

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
My new road bike http://www.specialized.com/au/gb/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52874&scid=1001&scname=Road comes with compact gearing which means I will have 50-34T up front, and an 11-32T (ten speed) out back.

It seems like a massive range out back with large gaps in the cogs.
I am wanting it for long days in the saddle (150kms+), training and commuting and spinning at a high cadence is something I want to do a lot of.

However, we do have some nice hills between here and the highlands so the 32 may come in handy, but concerned the wide gaps won't give me the ability to spin like I want when I'm on the flats.

Anyone had much experience with these types of ratios on a road bike?

I may just buy a 11-23T when I pick up the bike to cover my bases. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Endo

Likes Dirt
11-32 out the back! Sounds like it's a mountain bike cluster.. I'd say a 11-25 paired with the compact cranks would do you fine. Unless you're planning on tackling some 20% climbs, you shouldn't need to go lower gearing than 34/11.

There's plenty of 11-25 cassettes on evilBay. Dura Ace cassettes (7800 series not the latest 7900 or 7950 series) go for around $60 if you're lucky :)

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
I'm personally not a fan of compact. I always ran a 53 or 52t on the front and usually 12-25 on the back. I'm a grinder though, I rarely would ever get out of my big ring. Spinning just isn't my thing... so it's personal preference. I have ridden compact gearing from time to time (like for a few months at a time) and would run smaller cassettes in that case.

All that being said it's my personal preference, everyone is different. I would definately get the 11-23 cassette, that way you're covered for all conditions. You will have to do a bit of adjusting between cassettes though.. get that b-tension just right. Not much you can do about chain length though, but it shouldn't matter too much.

Anyway, hope that was helpful. Looks like a sweet rig to get out and do some km's on!

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently swapped my road gearing to 9sp compact. 32 seems like a low gear for road. i use 25 but sometimes would like another gear. Perhaps i am just soft.....

I think the compact gives you more usable gears than a 53/39 (unless you have real strong legs....).

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Compact is good, but even the Alpine Classic didn't need lower than 11-25. I use 11-23 most of the time, sometimes I even put a 36T front on.

akashra

Eats Squid
I had the option of either compact or standard when I bought my new roadie, and decided to go for standard again.
While yes, it will definitely make things easier on big climbs, on the flat you could find yourself spinning.

In general, on a 39 and 25T, I find myself hitting a cliff at about 12%, *however* I'm still able to climb pinches of up to 27%. Below 12% I'm able to sprint up hills, but simply don't have the force to push above that. Yes, a compact would be appreciated at times, but I don't think I'd want a compact for Beach Road.

All but two people I generally ride with in the Dandenongs use compact.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get the big dog and HTFU!
The thing is you lose stuff-all from the top end and gain nicer shifts at the rear at the expense of having to shift the front more.It's not a case of spinning more or anything. Your top gear is 50-11, compared to most standard setups where top gear is 53-12. Even 34-23 is not that different to 39-25 or esp 39-27. It's just the way they're spread that changes. If you can actually notice the difference between 50-11 and 53-12 you're doing well. Personally I top 50-11 out at about 65-70 kph - beyond that I don't care.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Thanks for the input guys. I have decided to start out with the compact (soft I know) and see how it goes after some time in the mountains.

The climbs around here are pretty steep and long (Kangaroo valley etc), and when I do them on the MTB (went and did some mountain time today) I am finding myself in middle ring and pushing up to the 32 on the back on the steepest bits at the moment.

Some of the tarmac climbs have pinches that are hitting about 30% (at least it feels like it), and this will be my playground when I'm not on the flats.

And I'll be hitting up Mt Keira, Macquarie Pass (Robertson), and Gibraltar when I'm not on the flats.

I think I'll stick with it for now, and if I end up taking off the princess tutu I'll grab an 11-25 :)

Thanks again for all the input.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
It's just the way they're spread that changes.
exactly. if you're touring or even just training it probably doesn't matter - take the compacts and enjoy the range. if you're racing or particularly finicky, the larger spread will probably be annoying. swapping from a 12-25 to an 11-25 i now have a hole at about 36-37km/h at my standard cadence which took a while to get over.... YMMV

slowK

Likes Dirt
Sanp! Just bought the same bike as you Harmonix! Except I swapped in a Rival compact groupset and ported over my own wheels, bars and saddle from my old roadie. 7.2kg without pedals (on my bathroom scales).

I deliberately wanted the 11-32. I'm very happy to admit that I'm not a powerful rider, and would much rather have gears at the low end than the high end. I much prefer spinning up hills than grinding away, and quite enjoy overtaking my mates who mash away with more manly gears.

For the 11-32, you lose a 14t cog and gain the 32. So it's not as if all the gears are more widely spread - it's just one jump (13-15). I don't notice it. Although a 11-28 is in all honestly low enough for most things, I did want the bailout option of the 32 for when I'm unfit or stuffed (often).

It's only a week old, but I really like how it handles - much more stable and comfortable cornering and descending than my old Giant TCR. I spent ages researching and deciding what to get - I'm very, very happy with it!

Hope you like yours too!

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
I agree with the compact option if you are around Kangaroo Valley there is a lot of steep slopes around there.

I'm not a sprint everything road rider becuase by fitness doesnt allow it. I do however enjoy cruising the hills and sometimes just surviving them in first gear on my 2009 Roubaix.

During the Fitz's Challenge ride I always end up in first at some point due to my horrible endurance over the 105kms.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Sanp! Just bought the same bike as you Harmonix! Except I swapped in a Rival compact groupset and ported over my own wheels, bars and saddle from my old roadie. 7.2kg without pedals (on my bathroom scales).

I deliberately wanted the 11-32. I'm very happy to admit that I'm not a powerful rider, and would much rather have gears at the low end than the high end. I much prefer spinning up hills than grinding away, and quite enjoy overtaking my mates who mash away with more manly gears.

For the 11-32, you lose a 14t cog and gain the 32. So it's not as if all the gears are more widely spread - it's just one jump (13-15). I don't notice it. Although a 11-28 is in all honestly low enough for most things, I did want the bailout option of the 32 for when I'm unfit or stuffed (often).

It's only a week old, but I really like how it handles - much more stable and comfortable cornering and descending than my old Giant TCR. I spent ages researching and deciding what to get - I'm very, very happy with it!

Hope you like yours too!
Good to hear!

I was looking at the TCR as well, but I am confident I have made the right choice with the Roubaix.

I searched the webz for weeks trying to find a bad review, or some negative press but it seems that the only negative comments I could find were one reviewer mentioned that it wasn't as racy as the tarmac (I think the tarmac would beat me into submission), and one guy snapped his carbon seatpost on the SL3. But then omits that he 'may' have over-tightened it. And one guy said that out of the saddle climbing had a different feel to what he was used to based on the long head tube, but they all still said it was surprisingly fast and nimble.

I can't believe how much bike you get for $2,5K retail.

Two thirds paid off. Can't wait to pick it up! Glad to hear your'e enjoying the compact system.
Thought I should mention, one of the motivations for a compact system was that I damaged my right knee a few years back on a 20km climb and it's never been the same since, so mashing is out for me.

krisko

Likes Dirt
It's not just about mashing.

As you may realise but haven't pointed out, it's not just about mashing or spinning. It is really about having the right gears for the ride.
I just went from a 9kg Giant DefyAlliance with compact gears to a 7kg TCR SL with standard gears.
I never knew what I was missing, I always thought it was about having a fallback gear just in case and my riding suffered for it.

Being that I commute 60k round trip and do regular 40k rides in Canberra I realised that I was always topping out and just coasting. With standard gears I am now pedalling all the time. Where I used to coast at 40k's I am now pedalling and can sprint on group rides at 50k+ It's truly an awesome feeling.

Having a 28 out back has become my fallback gear and I haven't needed it yet. By the way I don't mash I just sit in my comfortable cadence of 80-95rpm.....

I guess you need to weigh up how many long hill rides you do v more around town flatter rides. The weight makes a massive difference to hill climbs also.....

HLC

Likes Dirt
Completely different story, but i changed the gearing on my track bike from 46:15 to 52:17..

Same ratio, but the bigger chainring and sprocket have the chain rolling over so so so so much smoother... wish i had done it sooner! BIG RING FEVER.

my completely unrelated 2 cents lol

krisko

Likes Dirt
You have mis-quote me, read my post within it's context.

I don't know about yourself but if Im on slight downhill I don't want to be spinning at above 80-90rpm just to keep up with the bunch for a bit then run out of gearing. I can now implement a break (sprint) knowing I have gears there to back me up! and or ride with the group.....not having to tuck and hope for the best.

Likewise how many people do you see riding gradual declines spinning above 90-100rpm, I now keep my same cadence and keep pedalling. Something I wasn't doing before(I felt more benefit tucking then trying to spin like crazy)

Handekk

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,
Are there any companies that make compact chainrings for Shimano other than std replacment rings?
I have been looking on the net but no luck so far.
thanks for any help.
cheers H.:help:

Handekk

Likes Dirt
Thanks Newton, it seems that they are of stock. just out of curiousity would FSA or the like fit? as long as it was the same PCD.
cheers H.