Compact vs Regular groupset

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new roadie soon and have been looking for an Ultegra groupset with a carbon frame for around $3k, main contenders are Giant, EmC2 and Merida at the moment.

I've noticed a nice merida and giant with the compact groupset, just wondering what the opinions are? Am I being soft for not having a 53 tooth big ring or am I just doing my knees a favour and getting myself out there riding more kms?

I'm on the Northern Beaches of Sydney and do most of my riding in fairly hilly (but definitely not mountainous) terrain.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Well a 53 would give you about 3 more km/hr at a cadence of 90rpm, than a 50T.

Personally I think compact cranks with a narrower range cassette will suit most people more, but I am known to be soft.

timedward

Likes Dirt
Although a 50/11 is a bigger gear than a 53/12 I really think this is only applicable in a race type situation where you do not want to run out of gears in a sprint. Otherwise I believe it is not that important and shouldn't be the deciding factor (You could always buy an 11t with a 53t front ring).
I recently went from an Ultegra regular crankset to a compact Force crank (Compact came with the new groupset). I found the 34t a bit useless on the front and ultimately switched to a 38t on the front. The 34t would only be really useful on climbs >12% ish where a having a 34t can provide a much better cadence for steep climbs. Also another point to consider is that in my experience there is not as many chainrings available for compact cranks as they use a smaller BCD of 110mm ( Correct that if I am wrong)...Goodluck with it. Unless you are climbing really steep climbs, I'd go regular.

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the feedback, I was thinking along the same lines as you timeward, I don't think I'll ever really use the 34 tooth but the 50 tooth is a bit highly geared.

You said you switched for a 38 tooth, is that easy to do>? I think a 36 or 38 / 50 with an 11-23 cassette would be good enough for the climbs and to make sure the legs are strong enough to deal with mountain bike hills as well.

Your knees will thank you!

About a year ago I bought an Allez with compact crank and my knees love it. It just allows you to spin with a higher cadence up steep hills and you can stay in the saddle for longer. Definitely recommend it.

slowK

Likes Dirt
I find a 34 great, and would go lower if I could. Climbing out of Akuna Bay I sit and spin, and invariably beat my mates who are stronger riders but have standard cranks. Maybe it's the MTB background, but I like lower gears and have no shame about this.

redbruce

Eats Squid
If you are going to race or mainly ride flat/ undulating terrain go 39/53. For long and or steep hills a 34/50 or 36/50 may be better. Certainly your knees will like you.

A 50 x 12 will give you 60kph at around 100 ish rpm, if you want to be able to pedal faster downhill then a 53 (or 11 up back) is the go. Personally I dont need to pedal that fast anymore (50+ and 90kg) and so I run a 39/50 (a 38 would be better) setup with a 12/26 out back and find that good for riding around the hills in outer east Melbourne.

As for 110mm BCD chainrings, they are easy to get (TA specialties make them in 1-2 tooth increments) and they make a 38 to fit a 130mm BCD crankset.

So it probably doesnt matter which you go for, they both can be modified to suit.

fergo

Likes Dirt
I'm asking because I havent ridden a road bike up the same hills as a mtb.

I'm looking to add to the garage with a roadie and there too is an option for a compact 50/34 crankset.

My dilemma is I ride up Alton Rd on Mt Macedon and can do the steepest parts on my dualie in 32-34 ie 2 & 1 (with 2 being middle ring and 1 being largest at rear). On a road bike, the 39 F - 28R combination is the equivalent of 2&4 on the mtb and the compact ratio is 2&3.

I know I cant ride up the hill in 2&3 on the mtb, but will the lighter bike, bigger wheels and less contact patch/resistance of the roadie be enough to compensate for the bigger gear ratio I will have to pedal?

Should I go the compact or regular?

Thanks in advance.

timedward

Likes Dirt

I'm looking to add to the garage with a roadie and there too is an option for a compact 50/34 crankset.

My dilemma is I ride up Alton Rd on Mt Macedon and can do the steepest parts on my dualie in 32-34 ie 2 & 1 (with 2 being middle ring and 1 being largest at rear). On a road bike, the 39 F - 28R combination is the equivalent of 2&4 on the mtb and the compact ratio is 2&3.

I know I cant ride up the hill in 2&3 on the mtb, but will the lighter bike, bigger wheels and less contact patch/resistance of the roadie be enough to compensate for the bigger gear ratio I will have to pedal?

Thanks in advance.
Hey Fergo. I've probably ridden with you before on the MTB... I was one of two younger blokes who have come out with Thursday MTB night rides every so often in the past (Road took over). I live in Gisborne hence Alton is always on the cards for a solid road climb. I regularly ride Alton with 53/39 and a 12-25 cassette. Alton is a pretty steep climb however the whole switchbacks are fairly easy to ride tempo with a regular crankset. The only real grinding part is the steepest section just before you get to the gate of the "Alton" property (I'm sure you know where I'm talking about).

I've only ever done Alton on a regular crankset and probably do it once every couple of weeks. I'd say go for a regular around Macedon ranges. Apart from Alton road, Straws Lane and front-side of the mount etc, I don't think you will use a 34t. Apart from Mt Macedon we are pretty flat riding...

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt

Thanks in advance.
OK, I know nothing about the gears... and I wish I did because I'm after a new road bike myself, but I can give you a comment on MTB V's Road Bike on hills.

I've been riding from Jindabyne to Wilsons Valley (Ski Rider) on my MTB for years... usually end up in granny just before Ski Rider but have managed to get to Charlotte Pass and back.

I finally got the courage to do it on my road bike, thinking I wouldn't even get to Waste Point as my road bike is old (steel) and my easiest gear is 42/26....

Guess what?? Not only could I do it on my road bike, but I did it so much faster!!! The teeth combo's scared me, but it really wasn't that bad.

yladmac

Squid
fergo the best way to decide is to ride both. Any good shop should let you take a bike for a decent spin, though I understand if they're in a flat area it won't mean as much. I think the choice depends on a number of factors:

- Where you ride
- Style of riding (sportive or sprinting)
- Your style of climbing (sit and spin or stand and grind)
- Your style of decending (sit and coast or get aero and pedal)
- Your fitness and your fitness goals
- Physical condition; if you've had knee, hip, lower back or any other such issues then learning to ride in a lower gear and higher cadence (compact) will do you the world of good.

In the end it's down to the individual, but there does appear to be some absurd machismo about going for a standard double, which is exactly that - absurd.

The only other thing to consider is the style of bike. For example, most manufacturers are splitting road bikes into two categories (race/performance and sportive/endurance). Very few people would decide to buy an endurance type bike (eg. Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse) and have anything more than a compact on it, as it's designed for long days in the saddle at a lower intensity. On the flip-side, if you intend on short, high-intensity jaunts with a group, or maybe racing crits, then a standard double makes sense, as does a racier bike with sharper handling. The only real exception I see is when someone likes a more aggressive-handling bike (eg Spesh Tarmac) but intends on using it as their do-everything-ride-all-day-bike.

Good luck with your decision, remember to ride a bunch of bikes.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
There's a lot of good info in the responses above for you, but my summary for you, which is what I think you are looking for is this;

Even if you get a regular 53/39 setup you can get a 12:27 cassette which will help you out. Alternatively if you get a Compact 50/34 set up then hookup with a 11:23 (or 25, 27 or whatever you may need) cassette. Essentially that means you won't be hamstrung with either if it is our first roadie setup. You will learn as you go on yourself.

Yes it depends on the hills you prefer doing, or whether you wish to play sprints, if you were to play sprints you wouldnt ask this question as you'd know, so I'll presume you wish to climb a bit and be an allround rider.

If you wish to go into the high country regularly and climb 000's m of vert a day then Compact is your friend. If you do allround riding and throw in some good climbs that last under an hour and don't throw obscenely high gradients at you then Regular may be your go.

I could go on, but you won't go wrong with either as they each have complimentary options.

For the record most guys I ride with are on Regular with a 25T and we love climbing, inparticular the scarier the longer the better, but I have just gone Compact as I will be climbing in Europe soon where the flattest parts on some climbs I will be doing are 8-10% and max out 23%+, and yes I am excited and a bit scared, in particular as strong A graders have said to me Compact is a must as that is what they use in those hills, so that's good enough for me.

The Giro is about to start, I suggest checking out what the Pro's use on those scary climbs, which are planned for excitement, Compact with 29T on some and they are in agony.

So it comes back to whether you want to be allround (Regular) or climb climb and then climb (Compact).

Goodluck.

Last edited: