Complimentary exercise?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hey all,

What other exercise besides riding do you do? I'd like to start doing some light weights again (maybe just body weight - I have enough!).

I also started hill climbing, hopefully this improves my bike climbing too!

Flow-Rider

Burner
You generally need to build your core strength up for mountain biking, that's where a lot of people seem to fall short. As for which exercises, heaps of stuff on youtube that may suit you.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I've been doing about 10ks a week running (prefer trails) for nearly 2 years. I enjoy the trail running. Honestly think it's to the detriment of my riding performance though, as is takes my legs longer to recover from a run compared to riding, for which I have years of built up conditioning.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Optus Sports are showing free Yoga/Pilates classes online, do you think they're worthwhile or should I go to a class with a professional who can show how to do it properly?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
won’t hurt to try the online yoga to see if you like it, most pilates now uses the wooden machines, so you need to proper studio

i suffer from lazy butt syndrome - am doing single leg gluten bridges to correct the situation, my ass is as weak as, flabby too...unlike moorey i won’t degrade this fine site with a pic

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Optus Sports are showing free Yoga/Pilates classes online, do you think they're worthwhile or should I go to a class with a professional who can show how to do it properly?
Online/video yoga/pilates is good and certainly better than nothing, but a lot of the benefit of both of them derives from doing it "right" - i.e. engaging the right muscles, spinal alignment etc. Kinda like when you watch that guy at the gym doing whack squats and you know he's doing more harm than good except less obvious.

Being that you're somewhere where indoor exercise is allowed, it'd definitely be worth going in person so that you can get the benefit of someone who can actually see you and watch what you're doing and help you get your form correct. Then once you've got a basis and you know how things should feel, it's easier to do one in person and another one or two sessions at home a week and know that you're doing things properly.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I do the les mills balance classes at my local gym, its an hour mix of Yoga, Tai Chi and Pilates to music. Helps a lot with the core strength and maintaining flexibility.
I am not motivated to do anything at home so I need to get out of the house and into a class to exercise or else I just waste time.
I also do a bit of weights and the body pump class but found that this made me too tired to ride.

PJO

in me vL comy
Rock climbing, before I got a mtb-related shoulder injury.
$$$ if you want to get into trad climbing less so if you want to do outdoor sport or indoor gym. Very meditative, good for core.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
^^^ Don't forget bouldering. It's amazing how much of a full body workout you can get, linking together a handful of moves on a 3 metre problem.

Kinda like extreme yoga meets vertical chess.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
You're not meant to find your fitness or strength on a bike, it's an unnatural position being hunched over for long periods and unnatural motion of leg movements for long periods too, that's why pro riders have extensive gym sessions.

This is a typical day for a pro rider, not sure about Yoga classes ya bunch of old pervs :D .

Last edited:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A bit of skipping, some planks, pushups and situps all go a long way. Used to do these with boxing (+ cycling), was leanest and fittest I've ever been.
100% for me, though I don't do the skipping.

Good core work and simple upper body like push-ups and light arm weights goes a long way. Helps heaps with that fatigue feeling you get on a downhill run where you feel you run out of energy to tip the bike over into turns.

sbm

Likes Bikes
Climbing is my first, and other sport that I love. I'm not sure how great it is as a complimentary exercise though to be honest. It might also just lead to adrenaline overdose if you're trying to push your limits both sports at the same time.

Rock climbing, before I got a mtb-related shoulder injury.
$$$ if you want to get into trad climbing less so if you want to do outdoor sport or indoor gym. Very meditative, good for core.
It is a little funny to hear that trad climbing costs $$$, coming from a mountain bike site....the price of an "entry level" hardtail would set you up pretty sweetly. I'll admit that it's definitely a lot for your second sport. The real hidden cost is gym fees and memberships, which are ongoing and add up for sure.

Reactions: PJO

PJO

in me vL comy
It is a little funny to hear that trad climbing costs $$$, coming from a mountain bike site....the price of an "entry level" hardtail would set you up pretty sweetly. I'll admit that it's definitely a lot for your second sport. The real hidden cost is gym fees and memberships, which are ongoing and add up for sure.
Yeah you're right, a couple of grand and you've got it a decent trad set up. .
I was remembering back a couple of decades to when I was starting climbing, as a poor student every bit of gear seemed expensive. For a long time I climbed with very few cams on my rack, got good at using those hexes.

If you were to limit yourself to outdoor sport climbing, would probably set you back not much more than $600 for quickdraws, harness, shoes, helmet and rope.

Another benefit is that you get to do it with a friend, could also be a downside because it's someone else you need to organise...