compound bow

Xtremefreak

Likes Dirt
hey guys i am looking at getting a compound bow but not to sure with what brand, price, setup etc so i was just wondering if any of you farkers out there might know i am looking at something decient but not to dear if you guys could give us a prce and brand should be fine from there on. aswell do you need a gun liscence to get one.:)

cheers alec

Mr Peabody

Likes Dirt
Been years since i had a bow, originally had a compound and traded that in for a recurve, anyway they were both BEAR brand, i assume Fred Bear is still making bows but found this brand to be very reliable. used to buy all my stuff from a shop in Parramatta, NSW which i dont even know if it exsists any more.
Back then you didnt need a license to purchase a bow but things might have changed now

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
you don't need a license to own a bow, but you do to hunt with one.

they sure are fun, I spent about 360 on mine, and I would probably reccommend spending a bit more and getting something reasonably powerful. Also... Carbon arrows are the shit!

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
Also... Carbon arrows are the shit!
Now im not saying im a bow expert, well truth is i actually never fired one, my mates bow's draw length was too long for me. But explain?
Carbon lighter. Easy to morph into desired shape. Nice with the hands, makes the bow alot lighter to carry. Or does the whole momentum of the arrow come from the weight of the arrow, im sure thats not the case and the momentum comes from the thurst of the string.??

Oh PS. Im not a bow person, just curious.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
As (hell I hate quoting you) I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11 said, you only need a licence to hunt with a bow...from memory, your covered at a club.

Gekigengar; the actual action of the compound bow and recurve bow is similar...energy is stored in both the string as well as the bow itself but...maybe take a look here...kinda helpful.

Ive only ever used a Compound Bow once. It was made from composite materials and was perfectly balanced...weighed vitually nothing compared to the ol' recurves...It also featured the use of a stabilzer arm...pretty much countered the bows center of gravity when you had the string pulled back.

I was always curious to know why they had the cams on each end until the lady who let me use her bow, hung it from the string on a set of scales and pulled down...she was pulling at about 60lbs...before the cams rolled over and this became close to 12lbs...virtually nothing...by this stage, your arm would be in the firing position and would make resighting so much more simple and relives the strain on your fingers and arm. When you let go, the energy stored in the cams give the arrow that extra 'kick'...although the arrows we used were more like needles...

From memory, the Junior ones start at around $100 or so...simple fibreglass construction, this carries though to the midrange....expect to pay what 400-600 for one of these. Better quality...lighter...stronger..the advantage list goes on. From there, your getting into hunting and competition bows and they are anywhere from $1000 to $3000.

Last edited:

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
All the energy in the arrow comes from the bow. How could you think otherwise?
Carbon arrows are MUCH better, but more expensive aswell. I'd go with some cheap (Easton XX75, Gamegetter, etc) these are about $10 each for a complete arrow.

The bow, what do you intend to do? Hunt animals, join a club, or sneak into a club when nobody is there? (members don't appreciate those type)
Take a look at:
[SIZE=-1]http://www.hoyt.com/[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
http://www.pse-archery.com/cat.php?k=55445
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]http://www.martinarchery.com/
You'll find introductory-level bows in all of these manufacturers.
PSE probably offer the best range of beginner/intermediate bows, but they're not so good if you want to do the sport seriously.

...PSE used to offer complete packages, (bow, sight, arrows.etc) but I'm sure they still offer complete bows.

[/SIZE]

Last edited:

looseunit

Likes Dirt
My best piece of advice is to join a club before buying anything. Most run club have an induction course to the sport which will teach you the basics of shooting and point you in the right direction in terms of what gear to buy (there is a large varity of brand, types and sizes on the market). These course dont cost much and even if you dont ended up joining a club you will have learned alot about shooting and been pointed in the right direction with gear and such forth.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I really should have given this advice aswell.
At a coaching day, your draw length will be measured, to determine which bow you'll need and how long/stiff your arrows need to be.
Have you done any archery before? It can get very costly.

yearly membership at a club will be upwards of $100, and to do any competitions, you'll need to be a member of Archery(whichever state you're from) which is an ~$50

I would recommend at least one payed lesson, there are a lot of things you won't know as a beginner (Assuming you've only played with toy bows) and a lot the club members can teach.
For an adult a 2-3 hour session with equipment hire is normally about $20.

Thats not much considering the costs of getting into downhill where your bike plus gear can= $2000+ just for basic gear. Then your paying $90 per race. Archery is HEAPS cheaper.