compulsory items at enduro events.

abc1234

Squid
I've been looking at some enduro races recently and they all have a list of compulsory items that must be carried.
First aid kits, tubes, mobile phone, torch and things like that.
Do they ever check if people are carrying these items ?

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I've been looking at some enduro races recently and they all have a list of compulsory items that must be carried.
First aid kits, tubes, mobile phone, torch and things like that.
Do they ever check if people are carrying these items ?
Yep. They do.

akashra

Eats Squid
Some have even handed penalties to top riders for not carrying them.
There's also been instances where 'random' riders at the pointy end of the field have been made to stop, unpack everything for a random check, then re-pack everything, and continue on their way... Yeah, seems legit.

I've always thought the idea of making someone carry a first-aid kit when they don't know how to use the items in it to be rather silly.

ads_11

Likes Bikes
I've always thought the idea of making someone carry a first-aid kit when they don't know how to use the items in it to be rather silly.[/QUOTE]

Does not stop someone that DOES know how to use it from doing so though...

akashra

Eats Squid
No, but what's going to happen when someone does more harm than good and sues the organisation, or person? I guess I worry a bit about what message it's sending by saying "you must have this" - is there then an expectation it's to be used? Many also don't specify what has to be in the first aid kit, so it really does sound like a bit of ass-covering.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
No, but what's going to happen when someone does more harm than good and sues the organisation, or person? I guess I worry a bit about what message it's sending by saying "you must have this" - is there then an expectation it's to be used? Many also don't specify what has to be in the first aid kit, so it really does sound like a bit of ass-covering.
I put my first aid kit to good use at the kona odyssey last year. Bandaged up a split head. Was pretty messy. Surgical gloves and roll of surgical tape (in this case) was invaluable. I have been to a few first aid seminars but don't have any first aid certificates / tickets as such. The poor fella wasn't in great shape but managed to finish the ride. I believe he spent a bit of time in the first aid tent at the end of the ride.

One rider was already on the scene helping this fella. Being about 5th or 6th rider to pass him I felt obliged to stop also as he was all over the track and was a bit messy....What would we have done if we didn't have any first aid equipement? Thankfully it was compulsory to carry it in this race.

So, do I carry a first aid kid every time I enter a race now? No. For lap races I don't see it necessary. For marathon type races maybe it should be compulsory when you are covering are fair bit of land. The required first aid kit for the kona odyssey is small and not even noticed in your jersey pocket when riding. Not a big deal.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
No, but what's going to happen when someone does more harm than good and sues the organisation, or person?
No one will ever get brought before a court if in stopping to help someone that is in need of first aid assistance, if and when they apply common sense in stopping to assist.

If everyone that stops to aid in some form of first aid assistance, whether it be apply a simple roll bandage to breaking someone's ribs in performing cardiac compressions in CPR. No one would ever stop to aid another human being. When you do a first aid course this is one of the first things they tell you.

Quiggs

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, but what's going to happen when someone does more harm than good and sues the organisation, or person?
You sound like an American.....

How about when a snake bites you or you crash and remove a heap of skin and you need to look after yourself????

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Rapid Ascent were checking the elite guys randomly at the Bike Buller on the start line before each stage.

I didn't see them ask anyone to open up their kit, as most have them tapped under the seat quite securely, and not at all easy to remove.

They did some random checks at Kona Odyssey as well. And check all podiums I believe.

As for carrying it, I certainly used my own, so I have wondered since RA specify the contents, if I have used part of it already on a previous stage am I expected to top up supply for the next stage?? Where would they draw the line?

The mobile phone one is funny. I always ride with one, but I cant see how they can enforce that one, but I guess if its in the race rules they can if they want.

dowey42

Likes Dirt
We were speaking about this last night at our committee meeting as we have a club point to point coming up through some lovely but remotish back country. Where does it become the riders responsibility to look after themselves? Even thinking about tubes and water, does the rider have a basic level to consider their own safety? If a club or promoter says to have a first aid kit and ones not taken is there come back, especially if not checked? We've stressed that it is highly recommended and making people aware it is in the back country.

For phones, never train without one, but did the 'Crazy 6hr' at You Yangs this time last year without one and wish I had it. JT crashed heavily at the table tops knocking himself out and only one of 8 or so of us had a phone. Luckily they had Rich's number to get help. Didn't help he crashed at the furthest point from transition. Now carry phone racing too. Will also help taking happy snaps for JT's crash album :smile:
This is one reason at the Blores VES round we had a few numbers stuck to the race plates....

Looking forward to the Crazy Sox this weekend.

karaknic

Likes Bikes
In OZ the so-called 'Good Samaritan' act means that you will never be convicted of any wrongdoing when administering first aid provided you did your best and obtained the permission (direct or implied) of the patient.

jean5614

Likes Dirt
Soon you'll have to take a tent and firelighters in case you get caught in a blizzard. Take out your own insurance etc etc etc. maybe it's just promoters keen to absolve themselves of some responsibilities. The list seems random. What constitutes a first aid kit? Why a torch, during the day and at night if your lights go then you follow someone else in . Maybe a spare wheel and a spare, spare torch and two first aid kits in case you lose the first one, whatever the first one consisted of. All seem like bollocks, yes probably right.

teK--

Eats Squid
Both times at Buller had to use first aid kit. Once on myself with a graze and the other on someone else who had gashed their leg open. I would carry one even if rules didn't require one. It is really the gauze bandages which come in most useful as smaller injuries you tend to just tough it out and keep riding.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Both times at Buller had to use first aid kit. Once on myself with a graze and the other on someone else who had gashed their leg open. I would carry one even if rules didn't require one. It is really the gauze bandages which come in most useful as smaller injuries you tend to just tough it out and keep riding.
I use an elastic gauze bandage that sticks to itself. It doesn't need the clips or tape to hold it closed and it stretches and sticks with muscle movement. Ideal for calves and thighs that change shape whilst riding. Doesn't stick to skin and hair like tape.

It's the same one used by the Blood Bank when you donate blood or plasma.

Hooch

Likes Bikes
Good Samaritan Act

No one will ever get brought before a court if in stopping to help someone that is in need of first aid assistance, if and when they apply common sense in stopping to assist.

If everyone that stops to aid in some form of first aid assistance, whether it be apply a simple roll bandage to breaking someone's ribs in performing cardiac compressions in CPR. No one would ever stop to aid another human being. When you do a first aid course this is one of the first things they tell you.

Quiggs
This is why they have the good samaritan act, so that you can't be sued for stopping and rendering first aid.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
First aid laws protect your from that. And in what circumstance would you do more harm then good?
If you have the equipment and don't know how to use it no one is forcing you to do so. But the next rider along might have the know how but need extra bits for their kit.

Personally I think anyone who rides MTB and does not have a first aid certificate should not be allowed out of the house.

Last edited:

Knut

Troll hunter
I carried a first aid kit all over the otways for the first rapid ascent. I do know how to use one. But it was never checked. The fact that there was a dangerously low amount of places to rehydrate was another issue. It was really hot.

I suggested that competitors carry a mobile phone after waiting hours to find unreturned number plates at three consecutive marathons. It was not ever implemented.

I know it makes sense to be self sufficient. But most people aren't these days.

Mountain bikers tend not to carry kits as there is usually a first aid post at the event. There is usually marshalls at the gnarly points of the course. Mostly when you come a gutser, you dust yourself off, swear a bit at your shit riding skills and keep riding. Your mates will only laugh at you and your partner will offer you a tea spoon of cement.

There is also the consideration that carrying a kilo of first aid equipment around will only slow you down. I have seen more naked women aching for hot sex during a race, than competitors with first aid kits.