Computers / GPS

Exie

Likes Dirt
Hi Folks,

So for a long time, I've enjoyed using a Garmin. A few years back I upgraded to an Edge 800, and its been good.

Until now, it seems to switch off randomly and looses satellite all the time. So tonight I've emailed Garmin, if it costs $100 and takes a week then that's fine.
Assuming the worst, it'll cost $200 and take 2 months, I think I'd rather buy a $200 android phone from Kogan and put the strava app on it.

So assuming the worst, what would you do ?
  • Get another brand ?
  • different device ?
  • go back to a wired bike computer ?!
  • Get it repaired at one of those phone repair shops ?

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
[HR][/HR]do you think the phone reapir shops will be able to fix it?

ive also been toying with the idea of just using a phone - just worried on longer rides t won't last the distance [8hrs] i have a winodws phone witha strava equiv app which has turn by turn nav as a $19 option. you will need one of the waterproof cases for your phone though

i use a bryton device which is good but the cord has 4 little pins which need constant cleaning & is a PITA

takai

Eats Squid
I have gone through a 500, 510, and now a 520. Not upgraded because of failure but because of new features. Each upgrade has only cost me a small amount in turnover and ultimately it is cheaper than warranty.

I have also had the pain of going through warranty 4 times on a Garmin Fenix... the minimal amount of changeover is better than not having a device for 9+ months.

mason33

Likes Dirt
Get another garmin but one with the bare minimum features you need so replacement isnt as expensive. For me I like the edge 500, it lacks bluetooth which I'd like but I can upload via usb otg to my phone anyway.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Having dealt w Garmin repairs for 700 then 800 series I would try to get a replacement 800 for the usual fee then sell it or swap it for a 700.
I dont like the 800 w the touchscreen which changes when anything touches it + way too many silly features .
The good point is the back lighting if you ride at night + the drag feature on the maps instead of the joy stick on the 700 .