Confessions of a bike addict: The "Blute"

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have an Ebay habit like a problem gambler. I'm also a serial bike builder. I can't help it, but there are worse addictions/obsessions to have. Anyway, when a freshly powder coated lugged road frame popped up in my size I couldn't help myself. The new paint probably hides a multitude of sins, but 'she'll be right'.

for one reason or another a 1980s Shimano 600 groupset was sitting in a Brooks saddle box up the back cupboard of my bike-cave. complete with built-up wheels, near new gumwall tyres and Mavic Open Pro's. My 'townie' was built up in an afternoon.

A rack and panniers intended for a tour later this year and it was somewhat of a revelation to get the weight off my back, cruise in an easy gear and stroll.

How's the serenity?

But it became clear that this just wasn't going to cut it for the daily all-weather commute. As a Sunday bike, great. As an everyday abuse-me-please-I-like-it bike, no. I was already truing the wheels a little too often, and the poor brakes, and clunky-clunk drive train were distracting.

So the Shimano kit went back into the Brooks box for another day, and the Blue kit was re-instated:

I'm nicknaming it the Blue Ute, the "Blute". It's as functional as I can get for my needs. stiff strong wheelset, low maintenance drive train, comfy riding position, fenders, racks and panniers for cargo options. And it's pretty fun to ride.

Catch you on the road. Thanks for listening to my confession.

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
I need to get my vintage SS in a fit state for Winter riding to save my crossies drive train.

Good story, keep us informed on the Blutes progress. Wait I have a red ute. Should I be calling it the Rute then?