Consequence of running fork at lower than recommended pressure

speshboy

Likes Bikes
As the title says is there any consequences of running the fork at lower than recommended pressure. The Rockshox pressures for my weight same too high. If I pump it up to that pressure, the fork feels way too firm. I don't get full travel riding my local trail.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The pressures stated on the fork are only a starting guide. There's plenty of room for adjustment to suit. You really only start to risk possible damage if you run so low that you're bottoming out hard a lot.

Sag (how much the fork compresses when you're just sitting on the bike) is more important for setup than sticking to the pressure chart. The ideal sag range is 15-20% of the overall travel.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Also personal preference - I like my forks quite soggy and the rear shock quite firm. Play with pressures and see what works for you.

gregp

Likes Dirt
The only consequence of running a RockShox fork at lower than recommended pressure is that it will be set up closer to optimal for your weight and riding style....

speshboy

Likes Bikes
For those that have Rockshox forks and run lower pressure than recommended, I am curious as to how much lower you guys run compared to the recommended?

gollum

Likes Bikes
I run 10psi under in my 2014 revelation. at recommended pressure I don't use anywhere near full travel.
recommended pressure is just a starting point.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
For those that have Rockshox forks and run lower pressure than recommended, I am curious as to how much lower you guys run compared to the recommended?
My recomended is 130, I run anywhere from 90 to 105 depending on the shock setup - XX 120 and reba100, and previous RCT sid 100

DJR

Likes Dirt
You're not going to break anything running lower than recommended. Get the sag right and see if you use up all your travel, if the sag is right but you aren't using full travel or hitting full travel too often then play around with pressures till it seems right. You could also play with oil volumes and stuff like that to change the progression but usually just getting sag correct is enough.

That's the good thing about air springs, you can set the air pressure till it feels right.

safire

Likes Dirt
No problems at all for me. Rockshox don't even give a pressure guide for my weight, I am below the lowest weight in their chart. I run about 40psi in my pike and about 32psi in my boxxer wc and never had a problem with either.

The only fork I have had a problem with was a specialized fork - they state a minimum pressure of 50psi for the fork to work correctly (and they weren't wrong). I needed only 40psi to get 20% sag and had lots of problems with things sticking and losing travel and the fork just feeling terrible. It was ridiculously firm if I set it at the minimum 50psi pressure so ended up buying a pike...