Contact lenses

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Who here rides with contact lenses? Do you prefer them over prescription riding glasses? I wear glasses for reading, watching TV etc but have found I may need to wear glasses more frequently as I age. I thought contact lenses may be better suited to riding bikes but would like to here people's opinions on it. I've never worn them but figure it'd be useful to do so in times that I'm not wearing glasses.
Let me know your thoughts please. ;)

scblack

Leucocholic
I have worn contacts since I was a teenager. I FAR prefer contacts to prescription glasses for riding. When much younger I destroyed one set of glasses in a crash, that wont happen with contacts. You can wear sunnies or goggles with contacts. There is no peripheral vision blurring with contacts.

Issues: a little bit of dryness at times, but just blink more. Not really any other issues.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also prefer contacts for sport due to less distortion at the periphery and the option to wear proper riding glasses/sunnies. The good thing about needing them for recreation only (and trail building) is that daily disposables become cost effective. They also tend to be more comfortable with a higher water content.

I have just experimented with the latest and greatest for really long days of riding, golf, digging and driving. Apparently you can sleep with them in. They are harder to handle than others - perhaps not for a beginner http://www.eyecontacts.com.au/productinfo/135/Alcon%20Ciba%20Vision%20-%20DAILIES%20Total%201/, but for value I like these as a more regular option http://www.eyecontacts.com.au/productinfo/63/Johnson%20&%20Johnson%20-%201%20Day%20Acuvue%20TruEye%2090%20pk/

90 lenses at $89 is a lot better than 30 at $57

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
20 years with contacts here, better in every regard, as long as you remember to blink if downhilling with googles on, otherwise they tend to pop out.

Going to have a look at a few links, those prices seem pretty good, same brand too.

sprocket

Likes Dirt
I've been using contacts for years to vairing degrees of success, I have an issue with my tear ducts not working properly so they dry out quick and use eye drops at the start of every run, been looking at swtitching out to glasses but can't justify the price..

give contacts a go, your Optometrist will give you a few different types to trial for free, find the best ones to suit your eye shape ect

Stinky

Likes Dirt
I try them every six months or so, but have too many issues with them drying out or fluttering in the wind (even when wearing glasses). No issues with them when using goggles. I am too hard on glasses to warrant getting prescription sunnies so for now am using mild blindness as an excuse for lack of speed.

I might try some of those UK options, as the optom keeps giving me the same thing even though I am asking for alternative options.

OscarWhitbread

Likes Bikes
I used to wear them sailing as looking through salt spray glasses is a pain & even worse at night. Spotting lights on the horizon at night you tend to use your peripheral so I'd lose that wearing glasses. But on the other hand my eyes would be fried from salt water blasting if I'd been at sea for a couple of days and I'd usually not wear contacts for 2 weeks afterwards to let my eyes recover. Either way I couldn't win.

For riding I found that dust would irritate them, throw in a bit of sweat and the odd hay fever day would also have me wanting to rip them out.
Over 10 years I've tried the dailies, the 30 day jobs and ones I could sleep in but now I've given up and haven't worn contacts for about 3 years. My eyes feel a lot better for not wearing contacts with less irritation. Riding at night I feel like my spidey senses miss a lot from not having that peripheral vision and if there are other lights around I tend to get some reflection on my specs.

If you eyes can handle wearing contacts go for it, you can wear cheap sunnies and not give a fuck if you scratch/break them unlike prescription glasses. For me I'd go the laser treatment tomorrow if I could afford it.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
I've been wearing them for 21 years. For riding they're fine but can dry out sometimes, so if you're belting down a trail I find myself riding with one eye closed trying to re-moisturise it, can lead to some sketchy times. I use to use monthly disposables but a few years ago my eyes said no, switch to daily's and they're fine. Contact lenses for me hands down beat glasses but my script is also -5, just call me Magoo.

shep77

Likes Bikes
I used contacts for 12 years.... until a year ago I'd had enough of the fkrs due to all the reasons above and pursued laser eye surgery.

Sorted. 20/20 vision now and only wish I'd done it earlier.

Not all punters can get it, but worth querying your optometrist next time you're there.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I've been wearing them for 21 years. For riding they're fine but can dry out sometimes, so if you're belting down a trail I find myself riding with one eye closed trying to re-moisturise it, can lead to some sketchy times. I use to use monthly disposables but a few years ago my eyes said no, switch to daily's and they're fine. Contact lenses for me hands down beat glasses but my script is also -5, just call me Magoo.
Cool! How do you blink over them. They'd be like 5mm thick wouldn't they?? :behindsofa: On a serious note though. Like Dozer I'm needing to wear my glasses more and more too. I hate the bastards though. I find it difficult to wear due to the changing focus, etc. (I know I'm supposed to persevere...) But do peeps find contacts easier to wear than glasses? It would also save me having to have prescription sunglasses...?

Last edited:

Newie

Likes Dirt
I have perscription lenses in my Oakley Gascans and my Oakley Crosslinks.
The Gascans are for sunny days and Crosslinks are transition lenses so they cover nearly every possible day.

I only wear contact lenses when on the DH bike for goggles, otherwise it's to costly burning lenses here and there when I can get out for a ride.
I carry drops out on the track on dry dusty days hopefully laser eye surgery next few years.

I prefer glasses keeps the dust / bugs out, added protection, saves money on burning contacts and less irritable I find on dry dusty days etc.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I wear contacts for DH and surfing, nothing else. As you can see by the varying responses in this thread, everyone is different. Get an eye test done, they'll give you a sample pair of contacts to try out, go for a ride to determine how they feel.

I use one wear disposable lenses. The general rule (afaik) is the longer they are able to be used (ie; multiple use, week long, month long etc), the thicker they are, and for me, that means more uncomfortable. So I find the daily use to be the least irritating. 60 pairs lasts me around a year, depending how often I get out.

I wear contacts. Have been wearing them for years everyday. Blind as a bat without my glasses. My glasses are too thick anyway to ride around with them. Drying out is an issue for me so I'm always riding with glasses. Have a clear one for nights and a tinted one for sunny days.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
A lifetime of chronic masturbation has left me with the eyesight of Hans Moleman. I opt for daily contact lenses as it's really easy to lose them particularly if you play around in the water.

I did sport glasses for a while but prescription lenses are expensive for sunnies and you can't get them made for certain designs. Hoping to get laser surgery at some point. Just need to get off my arse and organise it.

Camdyson

Likes Bikes
Rudy Projects with good Transition freeform lenses by Shamir labs in Brisbane if you have the $$$ and a moderate Rx - zero peripheral distortions and still work if it gets dark! Daily disposables with goggles. Laser not a bad option for many.

Cam - old fart optometrist. (and crap eyes...)

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Contacts all the way for any sport activity for over 20 years. I wear glasses for most other things where I dont need sunnies and office work.

I tried playing basketball once with glasses after I forgot contacts, never again. You loose all your peripheral vision which you only realise how much you use once you don't have it. Even riding on the street after bike maintenance feels really weird in glasses.

As people have said everyone has different preferences so try some daily contacts and see how you go.

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
I used to wear contacts for a year or so when I was younger, but my eyes started developing mechanical conjunctivitis and blinking would cause the lens to slide around on my eye. Not fun. So I've been managing by getting good prescription sunglasses with "digitally surfaced" lenses. Basically, they're aspheric lenses to get rid of the barrel distortion you get from wrap-around sunglasses lenses.

When I wear goggles like for snowboarding, paintball, or DH, I just wear my regular glasses under my goggles, which have quite flexible titanium earpieces. I chose the flexible ones for that reason.

I might try the daily contacts again for sports when glasses get annoying, but my sunglasses usually are pretty damn good.

cammas

Seamstress
When you go to the optometrist next tell them you are considering contacts and most do a free trial that way you can see if they are for you. Me personally I wear them most times I have currently ran out of them and it's a pain going back to the glasses, I buy mine through Clearly Contacts online half the price of the shops, if you like your trial set just use your script and order them online .

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
I used contacts for 12 years.... until a year ago I'd had enough of the fkrs due to all the reasons above and pursued laser eye surgery.

Sorted. 20/20 vision now and only wish I'd done it earlier.

Not all punters can get it, but worth querying your optometrist next time you're there.
So give us the low down on the surgery.

Do they hook your eyes open and you have to watch them hit it with the laser? How many times did you pray to god for the pain to stop? Anesthetics via a needle in the eye ball??

My mum had cataract surgery or something a while back and she had to watch them cut into her eye balls with a scalpel.... Just thinking about it make me want to puke :)