Convert 12 speed to 11??

moorey

call me Mia
Not convertible.
Cool.
Stay 12sp @Jrok. Going to be less hassle and expense in the long run. Just follow the set up guides. If replacing chain and cassette, use same sized cassette, and cut new chain same as old one. Hopefully that was correct from new. Otherwise, google the setup. 12x works well.

Alexxx

Likes Dirt
I suspect a few 12 speed issues are due to derailleur hangar alignment. 2 of my 3 bikes running 12 speed had shifting issues out of the box (assembly by lbs) both of them had hangers out of alignment by ~1cm measured at the rim. Once aligned they shifted great.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I don't know anything about the Shimano 12sp, but sram has been an absolute pain in the arse to tune right. It's possible that it's another sram thing though, their mid range 11sp was definitely not as robust as the Shimano equivalent.

But as much as I love the 11sp Shimano gear, if I was in your position I'd probably just hold onto the 12sp stuff. Chains shouldn't be much more expensive and if you change them fairly regularly you shouldn't be changing cassettes all that often. Add the microspline challenge and you won't get ahead going back to 11sp

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

madstace

Likes Dirt
Another argument for sticking with the Shimano 12 speed is the Hyperglide+ stuff. I too think 12 speeds is a bit ricockulous but the...ah...hype is real. I'm usually pretty sympathetic with shifting but it allows for a lot of laziness and it just works. When I landed on the new Deore stuff I also looked at going down to 11 or even 10, but with the Micro Spline it got too hard and now I wouldn't give the HG+ up. On refresh I'm grabbing a SLX level cassette as I use the 51t very sparingly.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yep, if the hanger is straight (worth checking even on new frames/bikes as they're often wonky) - Shimano 12sp is easy-as to setup. Just follow the online "workshop" .pdf manual. Shows how to size the chain (different to earlier 9-10-11sp setups), set end stops and b-gap. Set it up per the manual and it shifts pretty much perfectly.