Convert DT Swiss 240s 20mm to 15mm

Pork Chop

Likes Bikes
Hey Peeps,

I'm currently running a front DT Swiss 240s 20mm on a Talas 36 RC2. I'm taking the wheelset with me to my new bike (SB-66), which will be running a QR15 Talas 32.

I intend to buy the DT swiss 20mm to 15mm conversion kit, but there's one issue I can't wrap my head around and hope someone can clarify. The dt swiss conversion kit simply comes with two 15mm endcaps - now if I convert the hub, would the 15mm axle simply be sitting on the end caps? i.e. the axle will be sitting in space (or a 20mm hole) on the inside of the hub.

Is it okay for the hub internal to be (essentially) not supported by anything?

.... when I think about it, all forks rest on the side caps of the front hub (and in the case of QR) the skewer simply pulls the fork stanchions together. But still, looking at the end caps, it looks so flimsy and I've got the weight of the bike, my weight and everything else coming down on the flimsy plastic? (check http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33708).

Thanks

Chris

PS. anyone interested in a 2010 Cube Fritzz The One (will be sold in stock format)? :)

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
it is very dangerous. the reason you can't find much info about this online is that everyone who has tried this before you has died and exploded in a giant fireball.

it is very dangerous. the reason you can't find much info about this online is that everyone who has tried this before you has died and exploded in a giant fireball.
That is obviously grossly exaggerated, shame on you.

@OP: Their deaths were painless, and there was no fireball.

azza122

Squid
The front 20mm thru axle Hope Pro 2 Hubs come with a similar set up. The hubs come standard with QR mount end caps so you can swop between thru axle and QR skewer and they are one of the best hubs in the world and i have been running the QR set up for over a year with no problems at all. So the DT Swiss convertion kit should be nice and strong.

PUL54R

Likes Bikes
I had been running DT240s with QR15 forks for 2years and just recently changed to 20mm, due to fork change. Never had any issues
The hubs are designed to run both 15&20mm so don't worry about anything failing.
The end caps are alloy and actually screwed into the hub, unlike Hope hubs which are just held in by a rubber o-ring.