converting 5 speed cassette to SS

konasaurus

Likes Dirt
Hey guys

My girlfreind has an old 27" wheel roadie, the rear wheel has a 5 speed cassette. What is the easiest way of converting it over to SS. Most converters I have found over the Internet are for 8 - 9 speedsss. Might be a silly question but bleh

Cheers

digger

Likes Dirt
if it's that old the 'cassette' will be an old school cluster which is screw on so once it is removed get a SS freewheel a-la-BMX and screw it on. Take your wheel into your LBS as a special tool is needed to remove the cluster and the thread needs to me matched up with your new freewheel. the only issue you may have is chainline, otherwise happy SS-ing

tmarsh

Likes Dirt
A bit of a tangent, but back in the day, Shimano actually introduced a 5 speed cassette hub in the 600EX line. Nice bit of kit, with good bearings, grease nipples in the hubs etc. Amazingly, a modern single-speed cassette cog fits perfectly, as do the sort of spacers you might get in a spacer kit. The only odd thing is that it uses an external lockring rather than the spline-drive internal lockring currently used. Fortunately, an English BB lockring works just fine. Anyhoo, just thought I'd mention it.

I'd be gobsmacked if the bike the poster is talking about has a cassette. As other people have said, it'll be a screw-on freewheel. If you want to do the job properly, remove the freewheel, mount your single-speed BMX freewheel, then frig around with the cup and cone spacers and locknuts so you get a decent chainline and re-dish the wheel.