Converting a 2x10 setup to 1x

I'm converting to a 1x setup and tossing up a few ideas.
My current setup is all XTR 2x10 stuff.
My chainrings and cassette are knackered so need replacing anyways.
Do I need a new 1sp spider for the chainring or can I just use my existing 2sp and remove the small chainring and replace the large chainring? Will the Chainline be ok?
Will I need a chainguide, or will a NW chainring do the trick?

The three options i'm trying to weigh up are:
1)NW Chainring +new 10sp Cassette - Looking at Sunrace for a 11-42 cassette and believe I might need a 'goatlink' to get it to work.
2)NW Chainring + new 11sp Cassette + new 11sp shifter. I've read I can use my 10sp derailleur with 'goatlink' on a 11sp Cassette. Anyone done this?
3)NW Chainring + new 12sp Cassette + new 12sp shifter. I can get a 11-50T Cassette that fits on HG Driver so won't have to get a microspline hub. https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/sram-n...4eYRf15ebccIaMTS3uJsTKunU-18c6h4aAvTIEALw_wcB. Would this sram cassette work with XTR Derailleur? Is it possible to use my 10sp Derailleur on a 12sp Cassette with a 'goatlink'?

Thoughts?

What d

T-Rex

Template denier
I did this on a '13 Trance. From memory I just flicked the granny and front derailleur, installed a NW and off I went. I eventually installed a bitch cog on the cassette. Sold the bike to a mate a few years ago, but it's back in my shed for a service right now, so I can have a closer look at it if you have any more questions.

I did this on a '13 Trance. From memory I just flicked the granny and front derailleur, installed a NW and off I went. I eventually installed a bitch cog on the cassette. Sold the bike to a mate a few years ago, but it's back in my shed for a service right now, so I can have a closer look at it if you have any more questions.
Yea I am thinking that would be the easiest way to go. However it Would be nice to go 11 or 12sp if it's not much extra effort/cost. If you don't mind could you have a look at the chain line on the trance? Not running a chain guide?

stirk

Burner
Yea I am thinking that would be the easiest way to go. However it Would be nice to go 11 or 12sp if it's not much extra effort/cost. If you don't mind could you have a look at the chain line on the trance? Not running a chain guide?
I barely noticed the difference between 10 speed and 11 speed with 11-42 cassette, that would be your cheapest option. I just got a 11 speed 11-46 sunrace which apparently has better spacing in the low range than Shimano. I think 46 tooth is the limit for medium cage without needing goat links, could be a consideration.

T-Rex

Template denier
Chain line is fine. No chain guide, just the NW and a clutched derailleur. We had a boys trip to Thredbo a couple of weeks ago, my mate was running it on the Flow and the AM, no issues with dropping the chain.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I barely noticed the difference between 10 speed and 11 speed with 11-42 cassette, that would be your cheapest option. I just got a 11 speed 11-46 sunrace which apparently has better spacing in the low range than Shimano. I think 46 tooth is the limit for medium cage without needing goat links, could be a consideration.
Same experience here. I have 11 speed xt and slx setups on 2 bikes with a 46t cassette and one with 10 speed 42 cassette.
The only advantage of 11 speed is the wider range with out needing a goat link.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I just chucked the FD and chainrings bought a NW ring and a 11-40 10 speed cassette, tweaked the B screw on the RD and away I went.
IMO dont need anything if you go 11-40 but above need a goatlink. 10 speed is fine even 9 speed is bearable.
IMO 11-50 is mental and expensive or heavy. Its just SRAM trying to dominate.YOU MUST RESIST.

carpetrunner

Likes Dirt
..is it the spesh crank in this thread? https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-with-removing-crank.317018/

Originally I used a NW on the 2x spider - which was OK - in that the chain line was OK to pedal backwards in the 46T end of the cassette.

But ... you can get an infinitely nicer result with a direct mount ring;

Have a look at GarBarUK's ovals direct mounts for spesh, You can release your inner engineer and colourcode your chainrings;
Black: 28T, Red: 30T, Orange: 32T oval

Unfortunately you will need another f-ing tool to undo the collet;

I'm also running a 10T (oneup) on my 46T shimano - I needed a cage change that moves the upper pully up to get the 10T to play nicely.

- carpetrunner

But do you think my RD would work with a 12sp cassette ok? I don't see why not. I need all new gear anyways, so if the price difference is only the price of an XT 12sp shifter ($90) i'd be keen to give it a go. An 11-50T cassette would also allow me to run a larger chainring (maybe 34T) and still allow my pussy legs to get me up the steep stuff.

..is it the spesh crank in this thread? https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-with-removing-crank.317018/

Originally I used a NW on the 2x spider - which was OK - in that the chain line was OK to pedal backwards in the 46T end of the cassette.

But ... you can get an infinitely nicer result with a direct mount ring;

View attachment 361909
Have a look at GarBarUK's ovals direct mounts for spesh, You can release your inner engineer and colourcode your chainrings;
Black: 28T, Red: 30T, Orange: 32T oval

Unfortunately you will need another f-ing tool to undo the collet;
View attachment 361910

I'm also running a 10T (oneup) on my 46T shimano - I needed a cage change that moves the upper pully up to get the 10T to play nicely.

- carpetrunner
Yep that's my crank. Will look into the direct mount options. I love buying expensive tools that I use once every 5 years...

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
But do you think my RD would work with a 12sp cassette ok? I don't see why not. I need all new gear anyways, so if the price difference is only the price of an XT 12sp shifter ($90) i'd be keen to give it a go. An 11-50T cassette would also allow me to run a larger chainring (maybe 34T) and still allow my pussy legs to get me up the steep stuff.
No. The body geometry of the 10-sp.maxes out at 40T. You might be able to gain a bit more clearance with a Goat Link, but if you have a medium cage your gear range is still limited by the amount of chain it can wrap.

That's not even accounting for pull ratios. I know 10 & 11-sp. are close enough to work acceptably, but not perfectly, but I don't know how 12-sp. lines up.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Call me old school but all my bikes are either 2x10 or 1x10. Never feel there is a benefit going 11spd or 12spd.
My 2x10 is 11-36 paired with medium cage XT derailleur.
My 1x10 is 11-40 paired with short cage zee and 30T narrow wide, and 11-42 with long cage XT derailleur.

The 11-40 works really well. About the limit for zee derailleur. The 11-42 is not shifting well, but I reckon I can get it to work better with longer B screw. Both using sunrace cassette.
For both cassette, the derailleur can benefit from longer body such as the new slx derailleur, but can be arsed buying one these days - hard to get.

The new microshift adventX is going on my next build. 11-48 is super sweet. Plus the price, cheaper than any shimano or sram groupo.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i reck0n stick with 10 spd, i find the chains last longer, i know xx1 are really great in 11/12 but i just buy ordinary chains
cassette are cheaper also

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
The new microshift adventX is going on my next build. 11-48 is super sweet. Plus the price, cheaper than any shimano or sram groupo.
Is it cheaper? The cassette is more expensive (albeit over 100g lighter) than a Sunrace 11-46, thew shifter is a bit cheaper and the rear derailleur is more expensive than a Deore clutched if you can get one to Australia!.

I do like the look of it though!

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Is it cheaper? The cassette is more expensive (albeit over 100g lighter) than a Sunrace 11-46, thew shifter is a bit cheaper and the rear derailleur is more expensive than a Deore clutched if you can get one to Australia!.

I do like the look of it though!
Ok maybe not strictly cheaper if you pick Deore clutched derailleur, but i think it's cheaper if you go xt shadow+ derailleur.

I like adventX mainly because of the 11-48 and its availability in Australia. I've been trying to get a spare 10speed xt shifter, yeah no luck. Overseas shop have them, but like hell they'll ship to australia. Bugger Shimano..

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
M6000 Deore has much better big sprocket capacity than older 10-sp; it takes much of its design from the 11-sp. familty, but keps the 10-sp. pull ratio.