Converting budget bikes to 1x

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
OK so now I have a toolkit and workstand on the way I want to convert my two cheaper hardtails to 1x (11-42 or 46)

One is a 2014 Giant Talon 2 with 3x10 Deore, separate brakes and shifters, and an external bb.

The other is a 2016 Trek Marlin 6 with 3x8 Altus, separate shifters and brakes and a square bb.

As these are budget bikes, I don't want spend big to convert them so has anyone else successfully done this on a budget?

What parts did you use and did any come from AliExpress? Any parts I can keep?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Snail/ztto 32t 104bcd (I assume) chainring from eBay - $20ish
Snail/ztto hanger extension from eBay - $5ish
Sunrace 42t cassette - $60ish
Keep the 10sp shifter, derailleur and hopefully chain if it's any good still. This setup works a treat

I've done similar with a 9sp setup, works well too but it's minus a clutch so not as nice. Don't know if there's an extended 8sp cassette available so you might need to go a full drivelines on that one.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

HamboCairns

Chain is crap, derailleur and shifter still great though! Wouldn't I need a new crank or can I simply bolt on a single chainring?

I'm hoping for 30T if possible..

Anyone had experience with ZTTO cassettes and chains?

HamboCairns

Snail/ztto 32t 104bcd (I assume) chainring from eBay - $20ish
Snail/ztto hanger extension from eBay - $5ish
Sunrace 42t cassette - $60ish
Keep the 10sp shifter, derailleur and hopefully chain if it's any good still. This setup works a treat

I've done similar with a 9sp setup, works well too but it's minus a clutch so not as nice. Don't know if there's an extended 8sp cassette available so you might need to go a full drivelines on that one.

I assume I can fit a 10sp cassette to replace the 8sp (and get a 10sp derailleur)?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Chain is crap, derailleur and shifter still great though! Wouldn't I need a new crank or can I simply bolt on a single chainring?

I'm hoping for 30T if possible..

Anyone had experience with ZTTO cassettes and chains?
Deore crankset of that era should be 104bcd, unbolt 3x and bolt on 1x. Can get 30t for sure, just costs a couple of dollars more

NFI on ztto cassettes and chains. But happy to pay $100 or so for a sunrace cassette and a kmc chain. How much do you save going to ztto?

HamboCairns

Deore crankset of that era should be 104bcd, unbolt 3x and bolt on 1x. Can get 30t for sure, just costs a couple of dollars more

NFI on ztto cassettes and chains. But happy to pay $100 or so for a sunrace cassette and a kmc chain. How much do you save going to ztto?

10sp 11-42T cassette, chain and goat link(?) for $45!

PS. The crankset on the Giant is an FSA MegaExo, 24x32x44T, the Trek is shit so I'd definitely replace that, I'm looking at a 30T version of this -
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32964726880.html or this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000012551016.html

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Fair enough, that's a pretty big saving

Bear in mind quality isn't a part of what you get with these. I'd still give them a shot because we're talking bugger all dollars, but don't expect Shimano quality when it comes in. I haven't personally seen any failures with this cheap stuff, but I have seen pictures of folded chainrings and bent teeth on cassettes. I'd also expect that the hanger extension would be the first thing to go in a crash but that's not a terrible thing at $3 and it might save more expensive parts. And the cheap "ixl" brand cranks I've seen lack refinement but serve their propose just fine.

I'd go for it, but I'd also look for used brand name stuff first just in case

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Don't waste your money on those cheap cranksets, they are made of cream cheese!..
I have bent crank arms.
better to get an older or bashed up Shimano or even SPAM ( if you are in dire straights and have to lower your standards!)

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it helps I have a Kore 42t cog (its burnt orange in colour) and one up 16t cog lying around from a conversion that never got finished.
Yours for nothing if local (melbourne, post lockdown) or postage if they'll be of use.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently did my old Scale, but I used hand me down 11 speed SLX and a snaggletooth 32T front ring.
I would see what's around used, pretty happy with the setup.

HamboCairns

I recently did my old Scale, but I used hand me down 11 speed SLX and a snaggletooth 32T front ring.
I would see what's around used, pretty happy with the setup.

Good call, I think I'd trust used brand stuff from the members here than AliExpress Chinese brands!

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
OK so now I have a toolkit and workstand on the way I want to convert my two cheaper hardtails to 1x (11-42 or 46)

One is a 2014 Giant Talon 2 with 3x10 Deore, separate brakes and shifters, and an external bb.

The other is a 2016 Trek Marlin 6 with 3x8 Altus, separate shifters and brakes and a square bb.

As these are budget bikes, I don't want spend big to convert them so has anyone else successfully done this on a budget?

What parts did you use and did any come from AliExpress? Any parts I can keep?
Even if your 3x8 crankset is riveted, you may find that the outer two rings are still 104BCD. In which case, you can drill out the rivets and convert it to 1x. Certainly has worked for me in the past...in fact, it might still be on one of the bikes hanging in the shed.

A upper chain guide will be essential if you don't have a clutched derailleur.

Although, The Lads bike (Polygon Relic) has a $25 Raleigh 1x crank on it from SJS Cycles to make it 1x8 and the chainring has a guard plate either side of it and it has never lost a chain yet.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I've got a Snail brand single ring on a 15 year old 3x shimano crankset and it works a treat. Totally worth the $15 it cost! Plays nicely with the SRAM NX 11 speed i have on it.

HamboCairns

This thread reminded me to buy a spare Snail:

Done. Dodgy seller but $22. I rolls the dice...
More dodgy but more choice - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SNAIL-S...e-Bike-MTB-Chainring-104BCD-V7C-/263934340586