Converting front chainring from 1x9 - 2x9

clivey

Likes Dirt
Hey folks, i have a single speed FSA Moto-X MegaExo DH cranks with a 36T chain ring and bash guard on the front and as i have a sram x9 front derailleur lying around i wanted to know how do i figure out which chain ring i would need to purchase in order to guarantee a smooth transition from 1x9 to 2x9 mech setup?

Cheers any help appreciated.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
kind of depends on what you don't like about your 36t set up
and if you have granny ring studs or not?
is the lowest gear too high?
is the highest gear not high enough?

for a 104mm BCD crank the general rule of thumb is to not exceed more than 10 or 12 teeth between chainrings
so 22/32 etc works best
granny rings range from 22t to 28t (there may be some obscure 21t or 29t option)
middle rings run generally from 32t to 38t but can potentially go as big as you can buy?

if you have granny ring studs then 24/36 will give you a really broad range of gears
if you don't have granny ring studs and are running a middle and outer set up then 32/42 may be your man

dedicated 2x10 cranks run a different BCD, smallest small ring you can get is 26t.
they also tend to be wider ranges too, 26/39, 28/42, when you match them with 10 speed cassettes you get almost the full rang of a triple ring with a 9 speed set up

Last edited:

clivey

Likes Dirt
So basically i do not have any granny ring studs and i am thinking that a 22/36T setup would be optimum for me as i'm looking at doing am/fr and a little bit of dh. Does the brand of granny ring have any significants as to whether or no it will be compatible with the larger 32T chain ring? and are there additional parts that i will need to purchase for the conversion?

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
........ granny rings range from 22t to 28t (there may be some obscure 21t or 29t option)
if you have granny ring studs then 24/36 will give you a really broad range of gears
if you don't have granny ring studs and are running a middle and outer set up then 32/42 may be your man
So basically i do not have any granny ring studs and i am thinking that a 22/36T setup would be optimum for me .........
if you DON'T have granny ring studs then you WON'T be able to run 22/36t

for what you're riding 22/36 would be the best option, however, without granny ring studs you can't do it
may be easier to just go with a slightly smaller single ring set up, a 34t or even a 32t

kgunzer

Likes Dirt
You also need to consider using chain rings with "ramps" so shifting will be easy. Some chain rings are designed to be used as a single front chain ring like E-13.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You may also find it cheaper to replace the whole crankset and rings instead of just buying new rings. Any of the online stores usually have runout models pretty cheap.

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
I made my hardtail a 1*9 by taking off the two rings and adding bash guard + chain guide.

It is a 32t ring. It still destroys the XC and I am now learning to DH on it!:clap2:

BTW seconding the link above being a good option!