Convet to singlespeed

Likes Bikes
Hi i have a giant stp1 (stock to cheap to upgrade) and i want to know what parts and how much it will cost me to convert to singlespeed. if any one has sites as well that would be a big help.

eljordo407

Likes Bikes
You would need a single speed conversion kit, plus the tensioner included of you are on a stp with vertical dropouts, or maybe you could remove some links from your chain:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10009

Before you buy you need to figure out the gear ratio you want as well
(e.g. 36:16 or 36:18, normally on mtb a 2:1 ratio suits, correct me if I'm wrong)

Heres a chart to give you an idea of what I'm talking about

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The DMR tensioners are shit, they're plasticy and can't bit 1/8'' chains. Look into trials tensioners from trialtech, Try-All and tensile all make good ones. Make sure when your buying though that they mount straight to a derailleur hanger or bolt onto a standard wheel axle.

Link to a good trials store

That chart above is for XC bikes, you won't find many DJer's that run anything easier than 32-16. I run 32-14, but will soon be changing to 32-15 or 33-15. The trend now seems to be quite high, micro gearing. I've seen bikes with 25-10 or even higher. Which is pretty ridiculous on a 26''.

Another downside of micro gearing is that you get less mechanical advantage. The larger your chainring/rear cog the more chain wrap you get, which helps with acceleration. This is why race BMXer's run such large front/rear cogs.