Convict 100 on 3 weeks training

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think something like capital punishment the 50 is great because is still covers a lot of the fun trails. Trouble is with the convict, that the 50 is nearly all firetrail and doesn't cover much of the more remote and fun parts of the course, which I feel really make this event interesting. That said, i'm not there to compete, only to explore some trails that I otherwise wouldn't get to ride, with a bunch of other like minded people.

Certainly agree on your point regarding beer though.

My personal benchmark has been the Andersons, Oaks trail (60km, plenty of hills), if you can ride this with reasonable comfort and without walking up hills, you can can ride the convict with an acceptable level of pain.
Keen to ride this with me weekend after this weather permitting?

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Keen to ride this with me weekend after this weather permitting?
Would be if I wasn't going to Thredbo for the rollercoaster. Any weekend after that, hit me up, I'm always keen for a ride.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would be if I wasn't going to Thredbo for the rollercoaster. Any weekend after that, hit me up, I'm always keen for a ride.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
Dang. Only be in town that weekend, until Tuesday visiting the out-laws.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Seeing as I started this thread I will assume the father roll and point out that some need to pull their heads in. Honestly, just because someone has a different point of view on this doesn't mean you should gun them and put them down because of it.

I am still in two minds about it and will decide on the 19th as to whether or not I do it or not. I can make the distance. I have done more difficult things sporting wise in my life.

Just to clarify. I don't do 100k on the road at the moment.

I don't normally just enter things on a whim. Which is why I want to ever this on a whim as my first one.
Fair enough - hopefully my input (as well as some other posters) will contribute to an informed decision. It's sad some posters appear to disagree with that decision making process and follow a mob mentality. Guess they can't stand up and think for themselves :evil:

riderideride

Likes Dirt
If you never try you'll never know :) sometimes accepting a challenge for yourself is a great thing to do. I could have kept doing 50km races forever....never challenging myself. Instead I decided to do my first 100 last year. It's all in the head. If you decide to do it, do the training, go into the race with the intention to finish (don't give yourself any outs- oh I'll stop there if I get tired) you will do it. It's great fun!

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
since podgy middle aged business men were mentioned, here I am. i'd done 5 shorter events (45-60km) and went for 100k capital punishment recently based on 100km a week of mostly road/commuter riding. I'd done one 100k road ride doing laps of Olympic park. I finished near the end of the field but took the vioew of pretty much always being 1 gear easier than normal as a way of pacing myself, forced myself to eat on schedule and finished in not too much pain, looking back I could have pushed a bit more but was happy overall.
Like a lot of guys with families I don't get out for a full day of riding that often so want to make the most of it. I'll be huffing and puffing near the back of the 100k field for this too. very much looking forward to it. I know I could do 50 but will never be competitive in time, the longer distance is something I feel is a bit of an achievement.

sobmal

Squid
I'll be huffing and puffing near the back of the 100k field for this too. very much looking forward to it. I know I could do 50 but will never be competitive in time, the longer distance is something I feel is a bit of an achievement.
Exactly! the feeling of completing an epic 100 k struggle on a mountain bike.

And I apologise if my earlier comments were perhaps taken as argumentative, not my intention.

There's no shame in walking hills, sitting on the side of the track crying about cramps and taking all day to finish.

My point was; if your fit enough to give it a go, no matter that its going to take 9 hours and hurt for days after... give it a try as you may just enjoy that feeling at the end.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
There's no shame in walking hills, sitting on the side of the track crying about cramps and taking all day to finish.

My point was; if your fit enough to give it a go, no matter that its going to take 9 hours and hurt for days after... give it a try as you may just enjoy that feeling at the end.
This is exactly why people ride events, find a challenge, and learn to love the sport. I couldn't agree more and know many people - some of whom are EXTREMELY good riders now whose first marathon started with tears, tantrums, and cramps. But they loved it, and were hooked.
The next time they went back, it was a different story.

notime

Likes Dirt
So unless I missed it what was the verdict swaz?

Well the race is tomorrow, I'm looking forward to another cold foggy 7am start and a beer sometime after that.

Unfortunately no rider list has been published this year to see who is in.

Last edited:

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
So unless I missed it what was the verdict swaz?

Well the race is tomorrow, I'm looking forward to another cold foggy 7am start and a beer sometime after that.

Unfortunately no rider list has been published this year to see who is in.
I'll see you at the start line (and at the pub after :) I look forward to freezing my nuts off with the rest of you idiots. Come say hi to the bloke on a 1x10 26" trance with the arrogant bastard ale jersey.

I currently have "Go faster, beer at finish" written on electrical tape on my handlebars, figured that would be good motivation on the final hill.

droctagon

Likes Dirt
I hope the OP took on the challenge of entering the 100km. I am unable to enter this year due to work commitments that I can't get out of (bummed).
This year would have made 4 years in a row doing the 100km singlespeed, rigid. It's one of my all time favourite rides. Every year I've gracefully come in last in my class, taking 7.5 to 8 ish hours to complete, cramping, tired and beat up with a huge grin and a sense of personal accomplishment every time. The convict 100 might not be the hardest, or best designed course out there, but what it lacks in those areas, it more than makes up for it in character. It's a majestic part of the world, with incredible views, fantastic technical sections, interesting rock formations and steeped in colonial heritage. The trail has spirit, and I'm going to miss being out there this year. Good luck to all who step up for the challenge this year, I hope to be back next year.

Ps, it's all about the 100.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Didn't enter folks. Was all keen a few days before hand, but got sick. Not really disappointed as there will be lots of others and I look forward to them after a lot more time in the saddle. Thanks for the encouragement though, much appreciated.

Last edited:

camoshop

Banned
any one doing this, this year? i'm going to have a crack! will be my first race but im confident im fit enough to do 100km i've heard its in reverse this year?? can anyone confirm??

cheers,
cam

uppo

Likes Bikes
Convict 100 Backwards?

Backwards it is this year. Plus there is now three Categories 100, 68 and 44.
I'm going for the 68k

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
When someone says, have you done the convict? They are asking about the 100, the shorter ones are for wives and support staff......

;)

Ackland

chats d'élevage
When someone says, have you done the convict? They are asking about the 100, the shorter ones are for wives and support staff......

;)
Brilliant!

Cam... The 100 will be fine. If you can do 100km at a solid pace with more climbing than the event then you'll be able to smash it out.
Most 100k marathons have less than 2000VM.

Also they're often a low percentage singletrack.

Add to that the adrenaline of race day and you're away.

Just make sure you have an idea where the biggest climbs are and where the feed stations are.