Convict 100 - St. Albans (Formerly the Dirt Works NSW)

sneezy

Likes Bikes
I've entered both 50km events.....recieved a confirmation for the convict one and so far nothing for the wombat......I do have the reciept for both so I'm sure there is no problems.

thomast

Likes Bikes
trying very hard to enter the 50k. The website doesn't allow me entry without signing up to the other cycling website.

It won't email me a password to enter? What do I do.

I remember the good old (early) days of entering Dirtworks, I went down to the bank & put money into your account.....
I'm in the same boat mate. I tried to enter, but because I forgot my password I tried to reset it but no email reply. I still have not been sent a new password but have been assured a position after ringing Nicole at Cycle Nation on 93466818. I've been told it should all be sorted by Monday. Good luck.

sneezy

Likes Bikes
I entered. First cross race. Just doing the 50km.
Just wondering what gearing I will need to get up the big hill at the start. Looks tough.
I wouldn't base my gearing on that first big hill.....it's not that long and most people seem to walk it. It's been wet there the last 3 times so pretty hard to ride....but then I'm only speaking from my point of view which isn't the fittest POV.....I'd select a gear based on the rest of it.....but again......I have 27 to choose from.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't base my gearing on that first big hill.....it's not that long and most people seem to walk it. It's been wet there the last 3 times so pretty hard to ride....but then I'm only speaking from my point of view which isn't the fittest POV.....I'd select a gear based on the rest of it.....but again......I have 27 to choose from.
While it was a bit wet this year the first hill was still rideable, the year before was dry and also rideable. Unless you're at the front of the pack the majority of people around you will be walking, I rode that hill this year and everyone around was walking (back of the 2nd wave start). I had your standard shimano 3x9 and was using granny the whole way up - my HR was a fair way out of my comfort zone too... I think it was over 180 for around 8 minutes. It took me a while to recover after that and a fair few people that i had passed on the hill passed me again because they were fresher after walking. So I'd agree with sneezy - don't base gearing on that one hill, but the second big climb after the river is 100% rideable and long (so you don't want to walk it). That second hill is also accessible out of race time so you can go and scout it out and think about your gear selection.

drac

Squid
Thanks for that. Will just have to practice on some biggish hills......but there is nothing wrong with walking a few hills if needed.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
One vote for the Sockguy, any other suggestions .. ?
  1. NO local tourist association blurb - this is common practice with promoter events. Sorry but they end up in the bin. Easy to include but rarely read.....
  2. If have nutrition sponsors - let them ply their wares with a free sample or 2 - (I've been 'converted' through this medium of advertising).
  3. A lucky number door prize - independent as to whether you're there at the 'end'. Prize to be published on MA website for winnning number eg - free entry to next year event etc, sizable discount at a LBS of MA choosing).
  4. I have no problem with T Shirts (Bike Buller has(d) some awesome ones which I keep wearing).
  5. Convict 100 chocolates shaped in whatever tickles your fancy(choc-foot did well with theirs)'
  6. A meal ticket - works well at The Fling and Buller Bike Festival (but there seems to be an issue with the local food halls etc) ####### THIS IS A MUST GET RIGHT CONDITION !
  7. Discount vouchers for your next purchase of SRAM or Shimano, or whatever nutritio you might want to promote....
  8. A fee quicklink or similar' - eg butt cream, co2 cylinder, patch kit etc. (Hey we pay alot to enter these events)

JIM80B

Likes Bikes
Socks are great! I believe someone from Max Adventure saw Flamin' Trek in the toilet before and just assumed he'd be an XS shoe size, going on common ratios.
:wink:

Pinkbike, I find the t-shirts at Wollombi Wild Ride work well, as you tell them your size.

Gels, bars, spares are always appreciated, as mittagongmtb said local advertising gets binned rather quickly.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socks are great! I believe someone from Max Adventure saw Flamin' Trek in the toilet before and just assumed he'd be an XS shoe size, going on common ratios.
:wink:QUOTE]

Something about glass houses throwing stones....

Would love to be able to get a t-shirt, freebie or paid. I'm more likely to pick up a tee than a jersey. I have a set of 4 Highland fling tees (paid) + 3 Wollombi Wild Ride tees (freebies).

Rida

Likes Bikes
  1. NO local tourist association blurb - this is common practice with promoter events. Sorry but they end up in the bin. Easy to include but rarely read.....
  2. If have nutrition sponsors - let them ply their wares with a free sample or 2 - (I've been 'converted' through this medium of advertising).
  3. A lucky number door prize - independent as to whether you're there at the 'end'. Prize to be published on MA website for winnning number eg - free entry to next year event etc, sizable discount at a LBS of MA choosing).
  4. I have no problem with T Shirts (Bike Buller has(d) some awesome ones which I keep wearing).
  5. Convict 100 chocolates shaped in whatever tickles your fancy(choc-foot did well with theirs)'
  6. A meal ticket - works well at The Fling and Buller Bike Festival (but there seems to be an issue with the local food halls etc) ####### THIS IS A MUST GET RIGHT CONDITION !
  7. Discount vouchers for your next purchase of SRAM or Shimano, or whatever nutritio you might want to promote....
  8. A fee quicklink or similar' - eg butt cream, co2 cylinder, patch kit etc. (Hey we pay alot to enter these events)
Great suggestions!

Def leave out the tourist blurb - just a waste of paper. The same could also be said for flyers/adverts for other events, which also litter most rego bags.

The T-shirts from all Rapid Ascent events (Bike Buller, Otway O, Central Australia etc) always seem to fit well. Maybe MA could use the same distributor and size selection.