Convict 100 - St. Albans (Formerly the Dirt Works NSW)

Easy on the locals

I don't live in St Albans but we do have a weekender just outside the township. I don't want to sound like an over protective local, but some of the criticisms of the race organisers and the local businesses are a little bit precious. The race, is in my opinion, a great event. The locals also think it is a great event and do everything to ensure its success. Sure the food situation can be a little chaotic, but just remember you're not in a cafe in King St Newtown. It's a very isolated township where the kitchen in the pub struggles to cope with the demand of cooking 140 odd lunches on a normal Sunday. Rest assured no one gets 'fleeced' by greedy landowners etc. If you find $10 for camping a little steep, drive out on the morning of the race and save your money. Better still stop worrying about all this trivial stuff and just get out there and enjoy the great atmosphere of the valley and save your precious wants and desires for the big smoke, where you might find slick cafe service but you will find it hard to find a place to ride a mountain bike.

onyabike

Likes Bikes
The Bundanoon Rugby Club BBQ & the Bundy Burgers they cooked up at the fling this year were cracking....not sure if St Albans has a rugby team? Maybe that's getting to fancy but I reckon the pub could crank up a BBQ in their beer garden and just serve snags & sause on bread 3 or 4 bucks and most people would be happy with this. I can understand how their kitchen could be overwhelmed and doing this may take a bit of pressure of the kitchen for those who want something more substantial.......mm the thought of lying on the grass, beer, snag....gees I'm hungry!!

The Bundanoon Rugby Club BBQ & the Bundy Burgers they cooked up at the fling this year were cracking....not sure if St Albans has a rugby team? Maybe that's getting to fancy but I reckon the pub could crank up a BBQ in their beer garden and just serve snags & sause on bread 3 or 4 bucks and most people would be happy with this. I can understand how their kitchen could be overwhelmed and doing this may take a bit of pressure of the kitchen for those who want something more substantial.......mm the thought of lying on the grass, beer, snag....gees I'm hungry!!
No footy teams and no cricket teams. It's a tiny community. The pub and the Fickle Wombat cafe are the only commercial operations in the town.
Maybe I'm biased because of my connection with the area, but I know the locals do the best they can to cater for the demands of the race. The same happens when the folk festival and the shahzada hit town. The place simply isn't equipped for coping with big crowds, but money can't buy the atmosphere in that pub.

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
No footy teams and no cricket teams. It's a tiny community. The pub and the Fickle Wombat cafe are the only commercial operations in the town.
Maybe I'm biased because of my connection with the area, but I know the locals do the best they can to cater for the demands of the race. The same happens when the folk festival and the shahzada hit town. The place simply isn't equipped for coping with big crowds, but money can't buy the atmosphere in that pub.
Blue Dragon in Tas last year, the local pub on day 1 you could pre-order your dinner. They had about 4 or 5 dishes on offer like pasta, curry etc and system worked a treat to pump out meals.

sneezy

Likes Bikes
The Fickle Wombat wasn't the best last year...however...hopefully the owners who were new then have been some idea what to expect in the future. Previous years its been a pretty slick operation with a long que but moved fairly quick. I have no problem with the pub...it has beer. The CFA crew are a great bunch and I enjoy my stay there each year.

monkeynuts

Likes Bikes
Seems I am not the only semi-local in St Albans that rides MTB! A new weekender local here, will be riding the 100.

I am sure all in town will be well prepped for the influx. The RFS boys are already well organised.

Ill be interested to see how many stay for Sat night.