Convict 50 Difficulty

bobby29

Cannon Fodder
Hi guys my dad reckons he wants to do the convict 50 but he has little to no mtb experience and doesn't have have much confidence on rock gardens/drops and other technical features. I have warned him against riding but has failled to listen what do you guys think of the the difficulty of the course? and should he do it?

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
I have not ridden the race myself, but I know the area very well and how rugged the terrain is in that part of the world. I've fished and hiked through the area for more than thirty years so I think I can speak with some authority. It's a very remote part of the world as a Google Earth search will show you. A drive into the area will also give you some idea.

The race sounds like an awesome race and I'll get to do it one day. I've only done one mountain bike event, and that was the James Williamson Enduro a month or two ago. It's an awesome event for first timers and experienced riders. The reason I chose that one as my first, was because I had no race experience at all. I wouldn't have been confident racing in the Convict given the number of experienced riders who are drawn to this race.

I'm sure I'm going to get some level of angst levelled at me about saying the following, but I'm going to say it for you and your Dad's sake anyway because you asked what readers think. I hate to be a wet blanket on your Dad's ambitions, and I don't mean to scare you, 'cause you sound like a great person, but I've heard about the number of people who end up in hospital via ambulance or helicopter. I know that could happen from any race, but I think your Dad might want to look for a ride that would not be as taxing and suite his level of experience (or lack of) and skill (or lack of).

If you want to find out more about the race and your concerns for your Dad, I'd also contact the organisers of the event and ask them about it. I can't tell you what they'd say, but I think they'd be happy to talk to you about things and let you know what they think.

I'm not sure where you live, but there are plenty of races around that might suite your Dad better and make you feel better about his racing. Encourage him to get some experience at some other races first, and use the Convict as an incentive to race once he's learned some more about riding and racing.

Here's a link to some races in Australia. You can break your search down into states once you're in.

http://adventurerace.com.au/Search/Mountain-Biking/Australia

There's plenty of races around around, and plenty of websites and magazines all showing lots of races. You have to do some research, as not all the races are listed in the various websites and magazines. Some don't have many dates listed, and others have heaps, so do some digging and I'm sure you'll come up with some races that would be more suitable for your Dad's level of experience and skill level. Fifty k's might be a huge effort for your Dad too, and there are shorter rides around which would be enough to wet your Dad's toes to find out about racing.

I hope that helps you Bobby. Again, I don't want to spoil your Dad's ambitions or alarm you, but I'd be looking to do some other race if I was in the same spot as him.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
After MTB Pilot's post I felt guilty about being so nonchalant and checked out the website. Apparently its a very challenging race but I'm guessing they mean the 100km race coz the 50 has;
- 50% Fire Trail
- 43% Dirt Road
- 7% Tarmac
I'm guessing that the views must be amazing or the real risk will be that he's bored to death. All the single trail is in the 100. The 50 is even a loop so hs doesnt have to worry about getting back to the car. The real challenge should be pedalling 50 and if there are any tough climbs. And knowing how to take water bars I'd guess.
Just coach him on some fire road riding :) good luck.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After MTB Pilot's post I felt guilty about being so nonchalant and checked out the website. Apparently its a very challenging race but I'm guessing they mean the 100km race coz the 50 has;
- 50% Fire Trail
- 43% Dirt Road
- 7% Tarmac
I'm guessing that the views must be amazing or the real risk will be that he's bored to death. All the single trail is in the 100. The 50 is even a loop so hs doesnt have to worry about getting back to the car. The real challenge should be pedalling 50 and if there are any tough climbs. And knowing how to take water bars I'd guess.
Just coach him on some fire road riding :) good luck.
Yep, tech stuff is all about the water bars. Afaik the helicopters an injuries have been from going too hard on the water bars. Some of it is steep, but even the 100 is not overly technical.

stinky 510

Likes Dirt
Check out the course elevation that is one mutha of a hill up at the start(after 10km) and it comes down very quickly too(around 35km).

Speaking to people that have done it before, not a lot can actually ride up it and most walk it. it is meant to be pretty ruff fire trail in places.
and as said most of the carnage is on the big down hill bit.

Im still undecided on doing it , but that is only because it has no single track and may bore me to death.

jarv

Likes Bikes
Most boring 50k enduro you can do.No singletrack.First hill sucks balls.The roadies love it due to the tarmac and fire road.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This was one of the first races I did. I did the 100 last year and the 50 for three yeats before that. The only place I would be wary off is the big descent at the 35 k mark. This has been where most of the accidents that I have seen have occurred. It's steep a little loose in some sections and the water bars can make it tricky. It's also a long descent so brake fade can be an issue Saying that as long as as your old man stays within his abilities and doesn't try to fly down it he will be fine. The rest of the course is pretty straight forward. If he can ride a trail like the oaks he should be fine

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I'll go with mtb pilot.

The only race I know of, that every year sees someone choppered out and going to the spinal unit.

Maybe thats because they read the fireroad description and think it will suit their abilities - it does look safe, but the record of very serious injuries tells you otherwise - i think perhaps, because it looks safe, people dont see the danger - -if you overheat your brakes on some of those descents you are in serious shit

BTW, i know one of the people choppered out last year and had a couple of months off work, and another who also fracrtured c2 but got off relatively lightly on a softish stack (cant remember of he got choppered or not)

Last edited:

JIM80B

Likes Bikes
I've done it 4 times. The 50km race has no real technical sections. The descent from 35km is a doozy. But if you get plenty of braking done BEFORE the waterbars, which can buck you off, it is all very rideable. The climb is less than rideable for most.

There are about 3 areas on course where there are waterbars on the downhills. All of these needed to be treated with respect. The little descent to the feed station at 28km is techy at speed, due to dropping from sandstone shelf to the next sandstone shelf. Once again it is quite rideable, even at speed if you've got an iota of skillz.

I saw 1 guy last year on the back of a quad on a spinal board and another with a very bloodied face. But for the 4th year in a row all of my mates got through unscathed. It is all about riding within your limits.

My dad has no MTB experience, but I'd have no hesitation with him doing the race. I'd just make sure he knew about the 2 or 3 sections that need added caution...which are signposted anyway. For a novice descender brakes are your friend on the downhill, but they must be given time to cool. I've had a mate experience smoking brakes and some brake fade. He stopped (when he could) and poured a bottle of water on the rotors!

Far more hazardous was the red-bellied black snake crossing the trail that i nearly hit last year.

I rode the course with mates the Saturday before last (very wet day!).
All the advice here is spot on. A rider got choppered out from losing it on the 35km downhill section last year.

All our brake pads were near stuffed after the ride with one guy now upgrading his kit before the race this Saturday. The advice here is to make sure you have a fresh set of pads and have the brakes checked prior to the race. Especially if a beginner as you'll be grabbing a lot more brake than the more advanced riders.

Have fun.

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
I reckon it is a reasonable race for a novice. There's a tough climb early on and a tough decent at the back end. As always, riding within your limits is the trick, keeping firm control of the bike. Perhaps some practise on steep fire road decents with off camber turns, deep ruts and water bars would be a reasonable test.

At the end of the day it is the rider's call about doing it - it is their responsibility, taking into account their skills, experience and the quality of the bike.

Last edited:

Slowman

Likes Dirt
I've done both the 50 and the 100. The 50 is the fastest 50 around. Yes there is one mother of a hill to start with but it is only 2km maybe even less and once up on the ridge there are a few undulations and then the final descent which is, as already pointed out is where the danger is. It is those water bars that cause the problems. I see guys go too fast for their own ability and just for the sake of good dense and that is always where someone comes unstuck and usually with a trip to hospital. The problem is that there are a few double sets of water bars and you can't see the next one hidden behind the first...it's the 2nd one that will get you air borne. I nearly sailed over the edge one year, fortunately instincts took over and I just calmly landed it before the edge and rode out of it.

There is nothing really technical the whole way on the 50 (probably not even on the 100 either except for some creek crossings and the bridge). You just have to control your speed on the final descent after that it is like a high speed road ride for 12k back to the finish.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
so who else did the 50k i did and actually enjoyed it too...and the beer at the end i enjoyed more!!!!
would be interested to see the strava profile of the Convict50 - used to ride up at Wiseman's Ferry before moving to Vic - just want to know if I used to ride some of the course.

DaSchmooze

Likes Bikes
Did 42kms of the 50 then saw an oncoming car an decided to ride into it :frusty:

Spent a few days in hospital and feeling sorry for myself. Bike is a total right off.

And most worryingly, i was headed for a pb time too!

Bugger

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
Did 42kms of the 50 then saw an oncoming car an decided to ride into it :frusty:

Spent a few days in hospital and feeling sorry for myself. Bike is a total right off.
That's terrible news. You have a new-ish 29er, yeah? Hope you heal up and you enjoy selecting a new bike.