Cool XC Helmets...

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hehehe Bit of a play on words there :roll: Anyways I am after a couple of opinions, suggestions even on some Cool/Airy and light XC helmets. The helmet will see trail riding duties, as well as abit of XC race and Enduro- A peak is important to me as I'm not a rugulation flat backed XC racer...

At the moment, I am looking at
MET: 5th Element $270
MET: Anaxagore II $170
Limar: F107 $200
Specialized: S1 --Unsure... Cant seem to find it anywhere--

Any others to add to the list, or that you have oppinions on?

Thanx
-Cul

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry... The prices are up now. I'm looking anywhere between $150 to $300. Any higher than $300 is a no go as I consider a helmet to be a disposable item- they're only really designed to be "used" once or twice :p

I'm more or less after a cool helmet, my helmet is like having your head in it's own personal sauna- and it weighs a fair bit too, so something light would be nice too.

Jordy

RYD4LF
well...you have some nice choices in that price range, my suggestion is to go in and try them on and get the best one that fits, my Limar is great for me but for most people they sit too high and do nothing for protection.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have no idea about the Specialized but out of Limar or MET I'd have to say MET. Their fitting system is much nicer in my opinion. The Anexgore is a lovely helmet, I would have bought one but the Ippogriffo (roadie helmet that is $10 more than Anexgore) just seemed to fit my head better. I couldn't be happier with it. If the Anexgore fits your head well then go with it, it's a very popular choice. Of course the 5th element is awesome but I don't know if it's worth the $300. If you want to spend that much then get it.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
tec whatever it is. They are light and seem pretty similar to an e2 for less than half the price. That'll be my next helmet

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grover said:
Of course the 5th element is awesome but I don't know if it's worth the $300. If you want to spend that much then get it.
If I was buying the 5th Element I'd probably get it from OS, as yeah $300 is a bit much for a helmet (an XC one anyways)... It looks the goods though really. There's a few interesting ones from Bell and Giro- but no one around here stocks them.

roffle

Likes Dirt
I wear a Specialized 04 Chamonix Helmet, and it's fine for me. Only cost $100 from my local lbs. The S1 is much nicer though..

shan75

Likes Dirt
I have had an E2 which as great until I totalled it in a spill. I own an Anaxagore and a 5th Element. The 5th is by ar the best vented and comfiest helmet I have ever had including a myriad of othrs Road and MTB. It must fit your head though. If it does get it you will not regret it.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pity you can't get to see some Giros - in my mind they are the best around, but that might just be because they fit my noggin the best. :)

Currently using a Giro Pneumo (from a year ago, when they still had peaks), but when (not if, I tend to write off a helmet per year or so) this dies, I'd be looking at an E2 or maybe the Xen. The Rocloc 4 system thingy works so damn well it is hard to look at getting anything else now.

junior

get out of my grill
stick with limar.... they have a crash replacement warranty and for $300 i think thats enough to get a F111 which are a awsome helmet.

i've had 2X F105 (smashed one) and also got a F111. good safe helmets.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Specialized M1 and S1 are very good for air vents and cooling, and a good retention system. If it fits your head, wear it.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=9114&JServSessionIdroot=2joxs75juz.j27004

M1 is a lot better value than the S1.

Have Bell and Giro passed the Aust Standards again yet? If you buy one of these from o/s and want to race then they are not sanctioned for use by CA and MTBA until they have passed the tests.

Does anyone know what the go is at the moment with these helmets?

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cruz said:
Have Bell and Giro passed the Aust Standards again yet? If you buy one of these from o/s and want to race then they are not sanctioned for use by CA and MTBA until they have passed the tests.
Has anyone ever been pulled up at a race because of this. Never heard of it happening myself.
Does anyone know what the go is at the moment with these helmets?
Do you mean who is the importer and stuff? Pacific Brands are bringing them in these days. As for passing Aus Standards - dunno. Doesn't really matter anyway, because the Snell and other standards are harder to pass in any case - the cost of testing for the Aus Standards is pretty steep for no real gain.

Do Met have Aus Standards approval yet? They didn't last time I looked (I think).

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Met had passed Aust Standards last time I looked at them, but that was awhile ago. I have heard of racers not being allowed to compete with those helmets. Insurance wont cover them.

Last I heard was that the new models were not allowed to be sold in Australia until they passed the Australian Standard.

Regan

Eats Squid
I have a Giro E2. It fits like a glove, very cool and light. would not use any other XC helmet. Oh, and did I say this is the coolest XC helmet ever. 8)

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I vote for the Giro E2 as well. The venting in the E2 is amazing, I too have problems with getting overheated in other helmets.