copperhead buller ? verdict?

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
heading up to Buller Oz Day weekend. Haven't heard any reviews yet of the New Copperhead trail. Anyone got a view?
Happy New year Too all too.

John U

MTB Precision
A couple of other threads are reviewing it. One in downhill I think.

General opininion is it is good but slippery. I went up for a couple of days. It was good to wearing a full face helmet and being able to do a few runs down abom for comparison/variety. My steed was 160mm front and back so this may not be relevant here.

I think the trail would be more fun on an all mountain bike unless your skills are up to the challenge of riding it fast on a shorter travel rig.

Oh yes, happy new year to you too.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
too slippery to be able to really carry any speed, to be able to really make the jumps and still pull up for the next berm. lots of braking holes show this.

its a great layout and would work so well if the same dirt was used as the other trails around (the natural dirt and soil of the surrounding area) not bought in dirt you find at windsor dj. i do how ever understand why they chose that dirt but im sure there would have been a better choice?

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yup, with 30mm stone throughout, but lots in berms, clearly so the trail doesnt turn into abomb with breaking bumps leading during and after berms

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Copperhead

I rode it on a 5 inch 29er and didnt think it was worth the hype. Too slippery to carry enough speed to clear jumps, lips and take corners. Sure it flowed (didnt need to pedal much) but just couldnt get off the brakes - too slippery. Would have liked to see less elevation drop and a smaller footprint - more like the Stonefly DH.
Enjoyed the Stonefly downhill and Corn Hill much more than Copperhead and the Deletite River Trail was amazing (not technical but alot of fun).
IMO

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
so it seems to be a 5 out of 10 then ?

I rode it on a 5 inch 29er and didnt think it was worth the hype. Too slippery to carry enough speed to clear jumps, lips and take corners. Sure it flowed (didnt need to pedal much) but just couldnt get off the brakes - too slippery. Would have liked to see less elevation drop and a smaller footprint - more like the Stonefly DH.
Enjoyed the Stonefly downhill and Corn Hill much more than Copperhead and the Deletite River Trail was amazing (not technical but alot of fun).
IMO
wow for all the money and hype it doesn't sound like a great trail or more to the point a great surface. Might dig around in my cupboard and find a pair of maxis minion dh tyres and take them up for the run down. Or get a bit of coaching from sam hill on how to ride pea gravel .

thanks for the feed back.

FuelXC

Likes Bikes
I loved it, It is a fair bit slippery and I hit a fair few jumps (one i shouldn't of) but yes, it would rock if it was about half as slippery as it is, but, i still loved it, just have to ride it differently. Honestly, I could go down it a bunch more, first run we made it down in 8 min but would love to get that down.

I don't think there is one perfect trail for anyone, and some like slippery (I do to some extent).

Me and another guy were on Remedies and the other one was a Fuel EX FWIW

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
ta

I loved it, It is a fair bit slippery and I hit a fair few jumps (one i shouldn't of) but yes, it would rock if it was about half as slippery as it is, but, i still loved it, just have to ride it differently. Honestly, I could go down it a bunch more, first run we made it down in 8 min but would love to get that down.

I don't think there is one perfect trail for anyone, and some like slippery (I do to some extent).

Me and another guy were on Remedies and the other one was a Fuel EX FWIW
cool thanks. it might really be a good trail for skill improvement, don't ride fast on pea gravel often.

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
thinking about a trip to buller in mid february this year.

question is.. along with copper head and stonefly, how many more trails are accessible at that time of year. is it possible to ride the DH courses if the chairlift isnt open? are there any trails featuring north shore type riding at all?

cheers

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
your best bet to cover all your questions is head to apollo bay. not sure exactly what time the shuttles will be firing up, but it has everything. it will be my first year heading there this year, altough the fellas i ride with have been going for years.

Mt Buller

Likes Dirt
Buller in Feb.

thinking about a trip to buller in mid february this year.

question is.. along with copper head and stonefly, how many more trails are accessible at that time of year. is it possible to ride the DH courses if the chairlift isnt open? are there any trails featuring north shore type riding at all?

cheers
Buller will roll out a new product in February this year, the Bike Buller Shuttle, allowing riders to ride the DH tracks and Copperhead all the way through till the end of April. An initiative of the Mt Buller Resort Management, the service will commence on Saturday 4 February and will run every weekend until the end of April (weather permitting), excluding the Labour Day and Easter long weekends. Quite simply the service replaces the operation of the Horse Hill chairlift.
Combine this with the entire XC network and you have and amazing array of trails to ride. As for north shore features, there are a few scattered amongst the DH tracks, plus some basic skinnies, see-saws etc. in the skills park located on Corn Hill Rd.

More info on the Bike Buller Shuttle can be found here.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
watch the videos for correct riding technique

Suppose it is not correct to post negative judgment till i had given it a good crack. Since i have seen videos of how it could be ridden - i would like to do multiple runs. I bit of rain will sort out the slippery surface and perhaps a more skilled rider can get more out of it. Need to give it a go not just the one run on a 4 inch 29er duellie

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
I haven't ridden it but judging by the AMB video posted on the Rotorburn home page it looks like it could easily be ridden on a hardtail. Judging by the footage I don't understand why people would recommend an AM bike. Looks very smooth, wide........... kinda like an unsealed bike path along the yarra. Hope I'm very wrong about this though.

Bundy boy

Likes Dirt
I hope to give it a go on Australia day too. I will be on a hardtail 29er.
The way l see it, any trail that is not a fire trail is a good trail. But Australia day will be my first time riding at Mount Buller since Cadel was a junior racing mtb.

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
You can ride CH on any bike from XC weight weenie HT to full blown DH. The surface is the only variable that needs to be taken into consideration (as its been stated everywhere through this forum) as it has to bed in and settle. I would imagine that CH will be re-cut some time in the near future as part of the overall trail evaluation that may reduce some of the negative feedback coming its way depending on your chosen riding style? CH is what it is, a new trail at the end of the day!

fishinabarrel

Likes Dirt
Love Buller & CH

Surprised by so much negative feed back!? You guys much be riding some f-ing amazing trails if you're not happy with CH. Sure it's a bit slippery but it's a brand new track, give it some time to settle. You're mtbing as well, if you want to carve a berm with any slid buy a track bike and hit the velodrome.

Ridden CH over several weekends and it's great fun and always a challenge to push it a little harder each time. I'm riding a 100mm fs xc bike and a few more mm of travel and a slacker position would make it easier but that's what I ride and love all the good and the tough trails.

The are over 40km of built single track from buller to stifling and back. You can't beat it! Good for the heart too with a good 1000m of climbing.

Great work by all who have contributed to the trail network over the past 3-4 years. :clap2:

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like people have hard to please??

Haven't ridden it, but watched some footage. Looks like fun. Yeah it might be new and will probably be better once it beds, but it's dirt. It's not moist rainforest loam, it's always going to be slippery.

All our trails are built on decomposed granite soil, and it's always slippery.You always have to be on your game to find the limit of breaking traction. Anyone can pedal flat out into turns, but it takes a bit of bike handling to find the point of no return.

That's what makes it fun.