CORC welcomes $100,000 from ACT government!

demo man

Used to be cool.
Canberra Off-Road Cyclists (CORC) welcomed the announcement of $100,000 funding from the ACT Governments Sport and Recreation grants today.

"Over the past several years CORC has worked hard to develop a very positive relationship with the ACT Government and the commitment of this substantial sum of money shows how this relationship has matured.” a delighted CORC President Dr Katrina Roper said today.

CORC has been working closely with the Chief Ministers Department, and ACT Forests through Environment ACT and has been building strong relationships with both Sport and Recreation and Tourism ACT.

“This is a fantastic partnership across government and the community. The money provided to CORC by ACT Sport and Recreation will be used to build sustainable trails on land managed by Environment ACT (ACT Forests) for a project that is driven by the Chief Ministers Department that will ultimately be promoted by Tourism ACT” Dr Roper said.

With a recent study showing that more bikes were sold each year than cars and that ~80% of bikes sold are mountain bikes it has been conservatively estimated that there are over 10,000 people in the ACT who ride their mountain bike regularly.

“The $100,000 will be used in Stromlo forest park for the development of a sustainable backbone mountain bike trail in 2006 and will serve as the basis for development of a secondary trail system that will ultimately cater for users of all abilities. These facilities will benefit not only the estimated 10,000 mountain bikers and recreational cyclists in the ACT but also the myriad of runners, walkers and hikers sharing sustainable trails with the mountain bike community”, Dr Roper said

Dr Roper also encouraged those interested in mountain biking to contact CORC through their website or by writing to PO Box 667 Civic Square ACT 2608.

“We represent all mountain bikers from all disciplines. From families who want to ride on the fire roads around Canberra Nature Park, to national cross country and down hill champions. The more people who take an interest in the sport and the club the better we can represent your needs.” Dr Roper said.

Quoted from CORC website.

astroboy

CORC Trails team
Chairlift?

Not likely. I heard at the CORC DH race on Sunday that Perisher are selling one at a cool $800k. At that price, it better include delivery, installation, and maintenance for 5 years + one of those beanie clad surley looking chairlift operators to work it.

Apologies to any chairlift operators who read this. Especially if your uncharacteristacally cheerful when at work :)

Astro

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
astroboy said:
Not likely. I heard at the CORC DH race on Sunday that Perisher are selling one at a cool $800k.
I heard a rumour that The whole of Perisher was up for sale and for less than $5 mill. The Farkin crew should all chip in and we can have "Periken MTB Park" :D

Good news on the grant.
Stromlo could rule in a couple of years.

juliatkarzon

Cannon Fodder
a business plan and writing a Federal Grant

Is there a difference between a business plan and writing a Federal Grant Proposal… or are they the same thing? I am considering writing a grant for a business idea so I can receive/borrow government funding and need to know information about writing such a grant which will appeal to them. Please let me know. Thank you all.

Last edited:

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
ummm

that is a very broad question

What funding are you after - you cant just write to the prime minister and say I have a great idea and I want you to pay for it ;).

You need to identify what the money is for, look at different government departments and identify their funding rounds and then apply. All of them are running into their budgets now so the chance of getting moeny now is very limited.

Or you could ask for local/state government money - but again you are in the same ball park.

More information needed before any real help can be provided