Could 10mm of extra travel contributed to cracking my chainstay?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think the problem is your tape @DMan . It is on too tight.

If it's like that MTBR pic then that crack is the typical crack at the edge of the weld heat affected zone. Nothing to do with a bit of extra shock travel. May be a design flaw.
Of poor heat treat failing to normalise the tubes post weld.

So have they issued a recall or not?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there a pivot at the rear axle? Hard to tell in the photos.

If not then I would say that extra travel would have an affect on bending within the rear triangle during suspension cycle.
If that is a pivot, I don't think the extra travel would make a difference.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I think the problem is your tape @DMan . It is on too tight.

Of poor heat treat failing to normalise the tubes post weld.

So have they issued a recall or not?
I looked at the Trek website and there's nothing about Full Stache 8s. The tape is holding the weld together though

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I looked at the Trek website and there's nothing about Full Stache 8s. The tape is holding the weld together though
a mate had a fuel go in almost the same spot, though he has a pair of cracks, 2nd one is very close to tyre, keith rubbed a crack in the frame

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'll just have to keep breaking it for a while then. But long story short, it sounds like dropping the travel to 130mm won't affect much...
I would imagine the bike can withstand much heavier people than yourself, so even if the 10mm did place some extra load on it, it should take it. Just make sure you're not bottoming out your rear shock and not jarring or load shocking the frame on big hits

I wonder what type of life the frame had before you bought it ?

DMan

I would imagine the bike can withstand much heavier people than yourself, so even if the 10mm did place some extra load on it, it should take it. Just make sure you're not bottoming out your rear shock and not jarring or load shocking the frame on big hits

I wonder what type of life the frame had before you bought it ?
That's the million dollar question. I don't think it had had a hard life though. He'd only had the bike for 6 months and had spent more time upgrading it trying to get it to ride like he wanted. I've never had a band on the rear shock so I actually don't know how much travel I use. I do know based off "dust" rings on the stanchion that I've never bottomed it out. I'm going to work out how much travel I'm using on the rear because I might actually be running it too hard and not using enough travel.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Funny spot for a crack - it is too far from the weld for it to be a factor to me.
Is there a hole drilled or something under the stay to attach the chain silencer?

Got a pic of the repair?

DMan

Funny spot for a crack - it is too far from the weld for it to be a factor to me.
Is there a hole drilled or something under the stay to attach the chain silencer?

Got a pic of the repair?
I'll post a pic tomorrow. I should have taken one before i taped it up!!