Could someone explain how XCO works?

taitt

Likes Dirt
Hey guys.

I predominantly ride downhill, yet a lack of racing/people to ride with in QLD has meant that i'm putting in a lot more time on the XC trails and keen to get a race in.
I'm looking at the XCO round 3 of the Sunshine Series at Samford, but can't understand how it works. As far as I can see, it's two laps of a 4ish/5ish km track for the Sport division, and when looking over results from other rounds, it says "Last time". What does this mean?

Can someone just give me a brief overview of the XCO format?

Cheers.

adaib

Likes Dirt
I'm not sure what the 'last time' thing means.

But XCO stands for Cross Country Olympic. there is also XCC and XCE. Crit and endurance respectively.
XCO requires different categories of riders to ride a different number of laps of a set course. Hypothetically, the winners of each category should all finish at the same time and it should take them between 1.30 hours and 2.30 hours to complete.

I think thats all there is to it.
Someone will correct me pretty fast if i've forgotten something basic....

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Just turn up in baggy shorts on your DH or DJ bike, be sure to roll off the line all casual-like, then start reeling in the punters three quarters of the way through the first lap who ALWAYS seem to run out of steam just about at that point! WTF?! Always happens! If you call track with great assertion from about 20 metres back they'll assume you're the front runner in Elite Men and get out of your way real quick, then when you pass them they'll flog themselves to keep up with you, most likely hitting a tree in the process. By reducing your field thus, you can have a surprisingly successful day at the races.

The goal is to get bitched up out of your category after your first race.

- Joel

rangie

Likes Dirt
Just turn up in baggy shorts on your DH or DJ bike, be sure to roll off the line all casual-like, then start reeling in the punters three quarters of the way through the first lap who ALWAYS seem to run out of steam just about at that point! WTF?! Always happens! If you call track with great assertion from about 20 metres back they'll assume you're the front runner in Elite Men and get out of your way real quick, then when you pass them they'll flog themselves to keep up with you, most likely hitting a tree in the process. By reducing your field thus, you can have a surprisingly successful day at the races.

- Joel
This is funny :) Could not agree more!

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
it says "Last time". What does this mean?
It's just the time that the rider last crossed the finish line, not specific to XCO event just a the timing system they use

But XCO stands for Cross Country Olympic. there is also XCC and XCE. Crit and endurance respectively.
XCO requires different categories of riders to ride a different number of laps of a set course. Hypothetically, the winners of each category should all finish at the same time and it should take them between 1.30 hours and 2.30 hours to complete.

I think thats all there is to it.
Someone will correct me pretty fast if i've forgotten something basic....
Pretty much, although the target time for an XCO distance race is much shorter now - elite target for both men and women is 1:30 to 1:45

taitt

Likes Dirt

- Joel
As long as there is not as much bitching as a result of a 50 metre pedal at a downhill race, I think i'll be right.

Last edited: