Could you use a Giant reign 1 2013 as a downhill bike for racing?

Tom Daniher

Likes Dirt
I am 17 and I am looking to get a new bike. I want to do downhill races mostly at mt stromlo, thredbo and mt buller but I also want a bike that I can use in trail races such as the Scott 24 hour but I will be doing more downhill than trail riding. Because I don't have enough money to get a downhill specific bike and a trail bike I was wondering if the giant reign 1 2013 could be used as a downhill bike as well as a trial bike? Would the reign 1 2013 make a good downhill bike? Does it have enough travel? If there is anyone out there with a reign 1 2013 could you tell me what it's like please!!! Also if there are any other good all mountain bikes that would be better than the reign to be used as a downhill bike and trail bike let me know!!!
Thanks everyone!

Toxicity

one of those boys your mother warned you about
Instead of buying 1 new AM bike, why bit buy a second hand dh AND a xc bike, bikes lose value very fast so the trade area is full of bargains​

jacob123

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i second that, these days you can pick up immaculate bikes for nothing second hand, usually maintained really well, that way you wouldn't be compromising in both fields, by having no enough travel or the right geo for downhill, or having a bike that would probably be overkill for an enduro race,

T-Rex

Template denier
I third that. You would get away with a Reign for Stromlo DH, but it would suck at Buller and Thredbo, and you would curse it on the climbs in the Scott at 2 in the morning.

Given your leaning towards DH, and sticking to your Giant theme, I recommend a used Glory and a used XTC hard tail, for the cost of a new Reign.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Agreed, you could use the reign for downhill but you'd want to build it pretty strong, and then its likely going to be heavy for 24hr rides.

I would be looking at 2 cheapo second hand bikes, you will hate yourself less in the end.

iguanabartola

Likes Dirt
Agree with the previous comments however, is dead set on a Reign, then go for the Reign X as having the 6.7" travel at least would be more forgiving for both kind of riding you are looking to do.
But again, nothing beats having an specific bike for each type of riding you are wanting to do.

jrewing

Eats Squid
It won the Aussie DH championship a few years ago with what's his name again....was like 4 years ago.

Have two wheel sets and an adjustable headset. Wheels would cost all of 300 for a set.

Edit. Pfft who pays retail t-Rex????

Amiel cavalier was old mate. But most importantly he saw the light and took up moto!!!
So dont buy either but get a moto...
Or buy a reign as most tracks in Oz are flat as tacks and would suit a reign just as much a new gen 16-17 kg DH bike.

Last edited:

T-Rex

Template denier
It won the Aussie DH championship a few years ago with what's his name again....was like 4 years ago.

Have two wheel sets and an adjustable headset.
From memory 4 years ago the Aussie champs was won by Mick Hannah on a Mongoose. Thats without me bothering to look it up. No matter, that race, and the two Champs prior, was at Stromlo, where you don't need 8 inches of travel and a 63 degree head angle, which I think is your point. And for sure, I've seen a few Reigns at DH races in years gone by, less so now with the weights of DH bikes steadily coming down.

A reign 1 has a RRP of $3k, for a second DH wheel set, including tyres casssette and brake rotors, and an adjustable headset, you would be heading towards $4k, for a bike that would still be a compromise at both XC and DH.

A mate of mine picked up an immaculate Glory for $2k, and good ones a that price are common. That leaves $1k for a good XC bike, again should be easy to come by.

Two purpose built bikes or one compromise bike? Easy question really.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From memory 4 years ago the Aussie champs was won by Mick Hannah on a Mongoose. Thats without me bothering to look it up. No matter, that race, and the two Champs prior, was at Stromlo, where you don't need 8 inches of travel and a 63 degree head angle, which I think is your point. And for sure, I've seen a few Reigns at DH races in years gone by, less so now with the weights of DH bikes steadily coming down.

A reign 1 has a RRP of $3k, for a second DH wheel set, including tyres casssette and brake rotors, and an adjustable headset, you would be heading towards $4k, for a bike that would still be a compromise at both XC and DH.

A mate of mine picked up an immaculate Glory for $2k, and good ones a that price are common. That leaves $1k for a good XC bike, again should be easy to come by.

Two purpose built bikes or one compromise bike? Easy question really.
Yep agree entirely. nothing will DH and ride XC well. Plenty that will do both slowly, but not well.

T-Rex

Template denier
Edit. Pfft who pays retail t-Rex????

Amiel cavalier was old mate. But most importantly he saw the light and took up moto!!!
Having to race DH on something with a 67 degree head angle would be enough to frighten me into moto as well!

Now, let's have a look at the current crop of Giant sponsored Aussie DH racers, and contemplate how many of them are racing Reigns..... Cory, Eaton, Crimmins x 2.... mmmm? That would be 4 Glorys, 0 Reigns.

I'll shut up now.

Shredden

Knows his goats
As others have said, get a second hand DH bike and a second hand XC bike.

For DH a 2010 onwards glory, 2009 sunday, intense M6, santa cruz v10.3 will all do you really well and should be at or around 2k.

For XC, get a cheapish short travel duallie I reakon, a giant trance/anthem would be perfect.

As they say "jack of all trades, master of none", and it applies perfectly to the Reign/Nomad/Meta etc, they are all good at everything but not great. You will enjoy yourself more with two bikes definitely.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Having to race DH on something with a 67 degree head angle would be enough to frighten me into moto as well!

Now, let's have a look at the current crop of Giant sponsored Aussie DH racers, and contemplate how many of them are racing Reigns..... Cory, Eaton, Crimmins x 2.... mmmm? That would be 4 Glorys, 0 Reigns.

I'll shut up now.
Mate... Your son races a do-it all bike for Dh and AM racing. What's the brand of the bike he rides/ sponsored by???
Checkmate...

The kids not a pro but wants a do-it all bike. So the answer is yes and it can do it well it a little bit of thought is put to it.
To get the best in both disciplines would require 2 bikes. But he'll go over budget doing so and then he needs to maintain them.
There's points to both sides

Last edited:

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I'll shut up now.
Not to mention the whole YVC/ giant team.
im with the two second hand bikes. more specific and forgiving

dhd

Downhill Direct
Buying 2nd hand can be a good option if you know what you are buying. You can pick up a great deal but you can also get burned! Get someone who knows their stuff to check any 2nd hand bike out for you.
Also sure you don't need a 63 degree head angle to ride Stromlo but it sure as hell makes it a whole lot nicer! Modern DH bikes have the angles they have so they are better at what they are designed to do.....

Tom Daniher

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys for all your help!
I found these two second hand bikes, and was wounding if any of you professional cyclist who know about parts and specs think they are a good deal,
The trail bike,
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?252519-2011-GIANT-ANTHEM-X1-(Large)
The downhill bike,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Giant-Gl...Bikes&hash=item27cd907548&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_922
Or
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GIANT-GL...Bikes&hash=item3f1f6e8589&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_922
Or
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Giant-Gl...Bikes&hash=item20cde048a6&_uhb=1#ht_760wt_922

Most of the eBay ones will also cost about $60 shipping :)

Let me know what you think! Also if there is someone out there selling a glory 09 or newer, second hand for a good price pm me or email me at tomdaniher5@gmail.com
Thanks again for your help!
Also a special thanks to jrewing for backing me up against that know it all guy!

T-Rex

Template denier
Mate... Your son races a do-it all bike for Dh and AM racing. Checkmate...
On the contrary, you've just proven my point for me. T-Rex Junior's DH bike is a lot closer to the Glory than the Reign in both geometry and specification. The only components it has in common to the configuration he raced in AM are the front and rear triangles.

Sure, our OP could try and replicate this starting with a bare Reign frame, but do you think that's advisable? As you say, he's not a pro, he's just getting started, and we'd all like to see him start on the right foot. You, me and all the contributors to this thread offer their advice based on our experience, and with no particular barrow to push.

Anyway, looks like our OP's on the right track looking at Glorys and Anthems. Happy hunting Tom, hope to see you at the races sometime, and this time I'll DEFINATELY shut up.

jrewing

Eats Squid
on the contrary, you've just proven my point for me.
The only components it has in common to the configuration he raced in am are the front and rear triangles.
its a single pivot....it only has a front and rear triangle

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As they say "jack of all trades, master of none", and it applies perfectly to the Reign/Nomad/Meta etc, they are all good at everything but not great. You will enjoy yourself more with two bikes definitely.

I have to disagree the meta/nomad and reign are masters of the all mountain area of mountain biking

[HR][/HR]
its entirerly personal choice if you want to use the reing or not
if ts all you have got or what you want to use go ahead there isnt a problem
there are other guys out there shredding on much worse bikes