cracked carbon frame

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
I have one last question i think.

what would this be worth with a cracked frame? keep in mind the spec that it has on it

frame: 2009 GT zaskar carbon (large)
forks: 2010 rock shox SID teams
wheels: xt centre lock hubs laced to dt swiss E540 rims (enduro rims) with shimano 180mm discs(will include a 160mm for the rear wheel for free)
cranks: Shimano XT 22t, 34t, 44t
rear mech: Sram XO 9spd
front mech: shimano alivio 3spd
shifters: Sram XO 9/3 speed with avid matchmakers
brakes: avid Elixir 3's
bars: FSA SL-K Carbon Pro Flat Bar 620mm
pedals: shimano SPD's
stem: FSA OS190 LXC Stem 110mm
headset: cane creek 40 integrated
seat: SDG bel-air
seat post: Truvativ Team Carbon 31.6mm
grips: lizard skin LOCK-ON PEATY GRIP
cables: Goodridge Gear Cables-carbon
front tyre:Continental X-King Wire Tyre - 26 x 2.2
rear tyre:Continental Race King Wire Tyre - 26 x 2.2

Last edited:

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As you built it from parts yourself you can just add what you paid minus a bit from wear you have put on items or plus a bit if you are lucky.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Im going with 1.5k max.
Sorry. No way.

Brand new 26" Carbon Zaskars are dirt cheap at the moment. A brand new bike with similar level spec can be had for around $2,000 at the moment...

I think you'd be looking at sub $1,000, considering the frame is toast. You might be better off splitting the parts and hanging the frame on the wall.

Best of luck with it all!

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
Sorry. No way.

Brand new 26" Carbon Zaskars are dirt cheap at the moment. A brand new bike with similar level spec can be had for around $2,000 at the moment...

I think you'd be looking at sub $1,000, considering the frame is toast. You might be better off splitting the parts and hanging the frame on the wall.

all in all i need roughly $2000 for a new bike if i go that way.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Sorry. No way.

Your on the money Cameron. If it were me I would split the parts out.

Even then the CRC new price pretty much determines secondhand value these days so dont expect to get back what you paid.

Your best option is to buy a replacement frame really. That way you dont loose any more on the parts.

Last edited:

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
Your on the money Cameron. If it were me I would split the parts out.

Even then the CRC new price pretty much determines secondhand value these days so dont expect to get back what you paid.

Your best option is to buy a replacement frame really. That way you dont loose any more on the parts.
But i have been offered on a new bike from a lbs for a decent price. what spec the new bike is will determain what I do.

and i wont be selling anything higher than the crc price to.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Step 1 - Strip the farked frame and bin it, sell it, whatever. Keep your parts.

Step 2 - Buy a Chinese carbon hardtail frame; loads of info on here or MTBR.com.

Step 3 - Build budget hardtail weapon.

Will cost you 500 bucks max.

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
Step 1 - Strip the farked frame and bin it, sell it, whatever. Keep your parts.

Step 2 - Buy a Chinese carbon hardtail frame; loads of info on here or MTBR.com.

Step 3 - Build budget hardtail weapon.

Will cost you 500 bucks max.
that might be the way to go. but after seeing my mate chinese carbon rim crack im not to sure on cheap carbon bike stuff anymore.

Winno

Likes Dirt
With respect to cheap Chinese frames breaking, I've seen many a 'cheap' frame break regardless it being carbon or some kind of alloy.
I've also seen many expensive ones break too.

There are too many variables to say that it broke because it was cheap.

I'm riding this UK designed and Chinese made carbon frame and it's holding up very well since building it up a couple of months ago;

It cost me about AU$700+/- shipped, is a much nicer ride than the alloy Chameleon I had, and weighs in at 1200 grams. Internal construction technique looks very similar indeed to a nice and much more expensive Tomac frame I had a look at recently.

I moved some parts from other bikes over and also bought new parts. Saved me a bomb compared to a complete new bike.

Don't underestimate the Chinese. By way of example, I was a devout supporter of Euro and North American high end audio for many years but in recent years heard and bought some very nice gear that is not a name anyone would recognise, is made in China, but sounds sublime. Again, I saved a large amount of money and ended up with a superior product in many respects.

Good luck with your new bike.

Last edited:

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
With respect to cheap Chinese frames breaking, I've seen many a 'cheap' frame break regardless it being carbon or some kind of alloy.
I've also seen many expensive ones break too.

There are too many variables to say that it broke because it was cheap.

I'm riding this UK designed and Chinese made carbon frame and it's holding up very well since building it up a couple of months ago;

It cost me about AU$700+/- shipped, is a much nicer ride than the alloy Chameleon I had, and weighs in at 1200 grams. Internal construction technique looks very similar indeed to a nice and much more expensive Tomac frame I had a look at recently.

I moved some parts from other bikes over and also bought new parts. Saved me a bomb compared to a complete new bike.

Good luck with your new bike.
it does look good. But my lbs has offered a great deal on a new 2013 bike with some extras for a pretty decent price. but its going to be a hard desicion to make. and it needs to be made in the next couple weeks.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
that might be the way to go. but after seeing my mate chinese carbon rim crack im not to sure on cheap carbon bike stuff anymore.
LOL, You are standing there with a cracked GT turning your nose up at a Chinese Carbon that might crack.

I have cracked 2 x Aluminium , 3 Carbons (Giant) and 1 Titanium. All brand names

Go chinese, Unless you are a cruel rider or a fat f__ker you will be fine.

Otherwise get the GT fixed.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keep in mind this young guy has recently bought a few bargain basement items, only to have them fail. While Chinese carbon frames may be ok, I think something tried and tested would be better advice in this situation, rather than throwing good money after bad.

I think the new Vertex from Cranked would be a wiser investment of your limited funds. Yes it will cost more than an unknown Chinese frame, but by the time you get some money back from the parts of the last build, I think it would be a smarter course of action.

Keep in mind, your parts won't be worth what you paid for them...

SuiKiwi

Likes Bikes
Carbon frame

I think dealing with Matt is the go, if you have a problem you have warranty and the dealer on hand to deal with it. RMB are good to deal with and you'll be joining a good little brotherhood up here.

Now which of the new 2013s do I want....

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
Keep in mind this young guy has recently bought a few bargain basement items, only to have them fail. While Chinese carbon frames may be ok, I think something tried and tested would be better advice in this situation, rather than throwing good money after bad.

I think the new Vertex from Cranked would be a wiser investment of your limited funds. Yes it will cost more than an unknown Chinese frame, but by the time you get some money back from the parts of the last build, I think it would be a smarter course of action.

Keep in mind, your parts won't be worth what you paid for them...
I am keeping in mind that all parts will be worth less. I will be trying to get a bike off matt either a 29er vertex or a element. Ive test ridden an element and they are good but a Hardtail may be better for xc raceing.

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mate, spend a few hours and read the threads on the Chinese frames. It's worth doing your homework. I'm not joking when I say you should be able to build a whole bike with the parts you have for 5-600 bucks.