Cracked Carbon Rim

DrHarry

Do you feel lucky? Do you pup?
cracked rim.jpg

Do I have any chance of salvaging this or am I stuffed?

It's leaking air but maybe I could tape it up heavily? Sand it back and fibre and resin? Just throw it in the trash?

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
View attachment 405945

Do I have any chance of salvaging this or am I stuffed?

It's leaking air but maybe I could tape it up heavily? Sand it back and fibre and resin? Just throw it in the trash?
Carbon is a remarkable material in that a repair can be just as good as if it were new. However, repair effectiveness depends on the profile, rim width and a few other constraints. And you cant just slap on a few layers and hope for the best; you would have to vacuum bag it, and im guessing 'butterfly' shape carbon layers over both sides of the rim, about 15cm in length. By the time you purchase all the repair materials etc, you might just be better off buying a new rim.

Btw i'm not an expert, i would recommend getting the opinion of someone who specializes in carbon repair.

DrHarry

It's a Nextie rim. Never had issues before. Pretty sure it happened because my tire went flat (whole other story)

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Scrap it.
I still cant really get my head around carbon rims on MTBs. Just such a common area for damage and really hard to repair.

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Got to be fixable. By whom and how is the question.
If you're in VIC, this is the ONLY guy I use for any customer carbon repairs. Sent numerous frames and wheels to him and they always come back better than new. I'm actually off down to see him tomorrow to take that AURUM frame I posted up a while ago.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Ive had 3 sets.
Admittedly they were all OE (bontrager/roval) but a flat shouldnt cost a rim.
I've dented alloy rims (Spank Oozy 345 and DT XM481's) with some fairly minor rim strikes while riding, but absolutely belted the Nexties into rocks (and heard some horrifically loud noises out of them) but never had an issue. If I'd been putting the same force into those alloy rims I'd dented previously, I'd wager they'd be in pretty bad shape. It's possible the wheel might've stayed round(ish) but I'm not convinced the bead wall/lip would've still been recoverable.

I know there's always the risk of a weird failure with carbon, something hidden in the weave or a bad join between sheets - but in my experience the quality of Nexties has been great and I'm convinced in the vast majority of cases the same force would've completely munted an alloy rim designed for the same category of riding (ie: comparing a trail carbon rim with a trail alloy rim. The fact I can have a stronger rim for 100-150gr less weight seems like a pretty good combo to me. But despite the horrendous noises I've heard from my carbon rims, I'm not the smashiest of riders - it's more the odd "Whoops, that's was (a lot) more of a tyre bottom-out than I expected!". DH rims might tip the balance where the extra thickness would lend alloy rims a strength lighter options don't have, plus the ability for a bit of trackside #hammeritbackintoplace action (Moi Moi style, lol).

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
It's a Nextie rim. Never had issues before. Pretty sure it happened because my tire went flat (whole other story)
If it's a Nextie I'd repair it, they're top quality bits of kit and while repairing costs may nudge close to the price of a new rim it's still a better outcome than replacing and binning it imo.

DrHarry

Thanks for all the feedback. Does anyone know if the "carbon doctor" in Deloraine (Tasmania) is still in action?

Rusty_68

say no to ooogamaflap
Keep in mind, unless you are able to do it yourself, you will have the additional cost of unlacing and relacing/truing the wheel.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I know it might be able to be fixed and is worth considering, but I would let it go. It looks like it might be just planning disappoint you in future.

Get the same replacement rim and just lace it up and swap it over. You will be sorted out much quicker. Maybe get a spare rim while you are at it if you want to keep these wheels for some time. Note to self, take this advice too :cool:

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I've dented alloy rims (Spank Oozy 345 and DT XM481's) with some fairly minor rim strikes while riding, but absolutely belted the Nexties into rocks (and heard some horrifically loud noises out of them) but never had an issue. If I'd been putting the same force into those alloy rims I'd dented previously, I'd wager they'd be in pretty bad shape. It's possible the wheel might've stayed round(ish) but I'm not convinced the bead wall/lip would've still been recoverable.

I know there's always the risk of a weird failure with carbon, something hidden in the weave or a bad join between sheets - but in my experience the quality of Nexties has been great and I'm convinced in the vast majority of cases the same force would've completely munted an alloy rim designed for the same category of riding (ie: comparing a trail carbon rim with a trail alloy rim. The fact I can have a stronger rim for 100-150gr less weight seems like a pretty good combo to me. But despite the horrendous noises I've heard from my carbon rims, I'm not the smashiest of riders - it's more the odd "Whoops, that's was (a lot) more of a tyre bottom-out than I expected!". DH rims might tip the balance where the extra thickness would lend alloy rims a strength lighter options don't have, plus the ability for a bit of trackside #hammeritbackintoplace action (Moi Moi style, lol).
Watch this and prepare for a blown mind:
Danny MacAskill Tests Santa Cruz Reserve Carbon Wheels