Cracked frame or scratch?

Travis22

Likes Dirt
2015 Anthem Carbon, 1600ish km, XC only. 85kg, dont think ive ever even bottomed out the shock - dont do jumps...

Just noticed this tonight getting the bike ready for the VES round this weekend.

Its tucked in behind the rear shock, it is very hard to see unless you catch it on the right angle, very easy to feel. Hard to imagine getting a scratch there without marking the shock or any other part of the pivots nearby etc?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Do i ride it this weekend, worried if i take it back to my LBS i wont have a bike to ride on Sunday.

Travis.

Attachments

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
With past history of Giant carbon frames, you can be pretty sure it's a crack.
It's up to you if you feel comfortable riding it.
I've got 2 mates who between them have had 9 warrantee replacement Anthem frames.

Minlak

custom titis
Similar crack on a mates Anthem up here organised a replacement frame and went "Meh not like I can break it anymore" and went for a ride. 10m from Car Snap! she dead Jim! 4th one I have known personally up here. This is why Giant have a great warranty lots of practice :love:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I reckon its prob just the top coat, the carbon underneath is prob alright - giant will prob replace it anyway no questions asked

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Put a bit of liquid paper over the crack. Go thrash your bike. See any cracks in the liquid paper - it's a crack. Haven't done this myself, not sure what the best way to remove the liquid paper off the frame is though...

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I reckon it's top coat. I had one through the workshop last year for a similar thing, and when I put the hacksaw through it after the new frame had been sent I couldn't see any deep damage. So I'd say it's fine for the race, but keep tabs on it.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, pretty shocked to discover this. I certainly wouldnt have expecting this to appear where it has, when everyone generally talks about cracking its usually around the seatpost / top tube...

Took it in to my LBS where i bought it and they have taken photos to send to Giant, mechanic recons ill be ok to race it this weekend just keep an eye on it. Pretty torn now re riding on it!

The compressed images take away a bit of the detail, couple more taken today in natural light.

Travis.

Attachments

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Thanks guys, pretty shocked to discover this. I certainly wouldnt have expecting this to appear where it has, when everyone generally talks about cracking its usually around the seatpost / top tube...

Took it in to my LBS where i bought it and they have taken photos to send to Giant, mechanic recons ill be ok to race it this weekend just keep an eye on it. Pretty torn now re riding on it!

The compressed images take away a bit of the detail, couple more taken today in natural light.

Travis.
My mates latest Anthem cracked in the exact same place.

will2

Likes Dirt
If you think about it, there will be a bit of stress in that area where the rocker is compressing.

Just bought a Carbon reign and I have been sending it, yikes!

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Given other reports of frames cracking in the same place, I wouldn't risk riding it.

Paint is somewhat flexible. The only reason for the paint to crack is if the surface underneath is not stable.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Lighter-coloured paints are less flexible than darker colours; they require more filler & pigmenting to get the necessary density. As I said, I've cut through that area of a returned frame and found no indication of deep damage; it's quite a thick section of tube with a complex layup, so each layer reinforces the others.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Yeh im not sure how / why a crack would form there, id have thought the forces would be going above the pivot there through the frame not below it.

Took it out for a spin and the crack doesnt look to have changed, still the idea of riding on carbon with a crack/ fracture in it isnt very appealling.

Travis.

teK--

Eats Squid
If you think about it, there will be a bit of stress in that area where the rocker is compressing.

Just bought a Carbon reign and I have been sending it, yikes!
Also have a carbon reign and I huck the shit out if it. I imagine my carbon wheels will crack before the frame. Those frames would be built heaps stronger than the anthem.

will2

Likes Dirt
Also have a carbon reign and I huck the shit out if it. I imagine my carbon wheels will crack before the frame. Those frames would be built heaps stronger than the anthem.
Yeah I am totally aware that the chances of cracking are highly unlikely.

You can see in the junctions how much stronger they are built. Love it.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Just had another passing look at the area before while in the garage and just noticed this on the other side (non drive side)...

Guess it certainly points to things not right.

Travis.

Attachments