Cracked Shimano XT Crank Warranty Question

So I bought a XT group set from ubyk.co.uk about 6 months ago for my new rig (Transition Patrol). Today I cracked the crank spider arm (shown in picture) whilst riding some plain XC trails.

Do I have to deal with ubyk for the warranty or can I contact Shimano Australia directly and (hopefully) get the warrantee and replacement sorted through them??

Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

IMG_5248.jpg

Attachments

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
You might find it hard to get that fixed under warranty (locally or o/s) - you can't prove that impact damage never caused it.

moorey

call me Mia
Surely you were just riding to church?
Do you have an excellent relationship with your LBS? I think you’ll struggle to get it replaced, but good luck.
Ps, change your user name.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
With the current price of XT cranksets (even in Australia) where it is, I'd probably just buy a new or 2nd hand crankset and cut my losses.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Well they are clearly fucked but no harm in trying the warranty route. You’ve got Buckley’s (too easily assessed as impact damage) but why not. Definitely buy a new crankset in the mean time though.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Try the warranty and sell em off, and if it falls through I wouldnt but more xts. Once you’ve broken a product, why go back? A patrol deserves saints mate :)

redbruce

Eats Squid
How many chainring bolts were holding chainring to spider at the time?

That type of failure can occur if a few are loose/missing.

Thanks everybody for the advice and thoughts regarding this mishap.

You might find it hard to get that fixed under warranty (locally or o/s) - you can't prove that impact damage never caused it.
Ubyk replayed saying they would take them back and warranty them, so I'll see how that goes. But my expectations are now tempered now due the possibility of not being able to prove it wasn't impact damage!

Surely you were just riding to church?
Do you have an excellent relationship with your LBS? I think you’ll struggle to get it replaced, but good luck.
Ps, change your user name.
Yea I'll speak with them tomorrow... haha I know right :/

With the current price of XT cranksets (even in Australia) where it is, I'd probably just buy a new or 2nd hand crankset and cut my losses.
That is comforting to know, if it comes down to it. I have other bikes to ride so at least I'll pursue the warranty avenue... try and save a few clams!

Maybe over tightened chainring bolts? They are about 13Nm
Possibility, but I'm pretty sure they weren't too tight (can't remember if used a torque wrench on these, used it on most of the bike)

Well they are clearly fucked but no harm in trying the warranty route. You’ve got Buckley’s (too easily assessed as impact damage) but why not. Definitely buy a new crankset in the mean time though.
Yea I give it a crack at least!!

Try the warranty and sell em off, and if it falls through I wouldnt but more xts. Once you’ve broken a product, why go back? A patrol deserves saints mate :)
Hrm... good point! :D

How many chainring bolts were holding chainring to spider at the time?
That type of failure can occur if a few are loose/missing.
All bolts were connected as should, none missing or loose.

I just wanted to update this and give a props to Ubyk, I sent the cranks and chain ring back to them in the UK. They processed the warranty with Shimano (no questions or grief) and I just received the new crank set and chain ring in the mail the other day. It took some time due to the nature of international time travel, but gotta give credit where its due. The time it took, was definitely to me worth the financial savings and just meant a little more time on the single speed whilst I waited! Good result.

Did you ever end up contacting Shimano Australia about these before ubyk?
I spoke to LBS about sending back to Shimano Auz, the guy there said:
1) it was my fault because he felt that I apparently cross-threaded the screw (which I would politely disagree with).
2) Shimano Australia were difficult to deal with and probably wouldn't cover it because I wouldn't be able to prove 'it wasn't my fault'.

After that experience I just went straight to Ubyk, as the LBS interaction didn't really sit that well with me. :confused:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Far out. And the LBS's wonder why the online retailers are eating their lunch.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

They didn't care because he wasn't his customer...
Yes, but I have taken my other bikes there many times previously and bought whole bikes and gear from them (admittedly this was a different worker) its a poor way of gaining customers though. So whilst I didn't buy this specific piece of gear from them, I have used their service a lot.

teK--

Eats Squid
Fair call. But to the new person you dealt with you were a nobody so they treated you as such. Poor way to win new customers !

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
They didn't care because he wasn't his customer...
Anyone who walks into your store is a potential customer. They've just saved you the trouble of marketing to them.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk