Crank arms???

avanti92

Likes Dirt
Hi, I am having a problem getting my crank arms off as they wont come off. I got a new bb about 3 month ago and haven't needed to get them off until now, when i had my old bb i could put a rag on them and carefully push them off with the hammer. But i can;t seem to do that now i have the new bb in, I have seen my mates dad use this little tool that pulls them off. I have one of these but i can;t seem to get it to work anyone help please

cdfeto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dont ever take you r cranks off with a hammer/mallet! Use the proper tool: crank extractor. It should screw in your crank arm thread (instead of the bolt, that you have previously taken out) and then by screwing the inner bit in you should push you crank out. Some extractors need a little spacer/washer at the end to push against the BB spindle, that might be your problem.

TheLunchbox

Likes Dirt
I did find that when I first pulled the crank off it required a massive amount of force to start then it wound off easily. Also make sure the crank tool is wound in all the way to your cracks cause theres a good chance of stripping
the thread.

avanti92

Likes Dirt
got it done it was that the tool you use to pull it off was the wrong one so it didn;t push on anything just went through the middle of the shaft so i put a nut over the whole and it worked fine thanks for the help guys:D