Crank brothers Candy fail

Just wondering how many other people out there are having troubles with Crank brothers pedals.

My set of Acids seized in no time and to keep them running it was getting to a point where I was re-building them after every second ride. I contacted the manufacturer but sadly their response was that the pedals needed a re-build after every wet ride.
The Acids now live in landfill.

When it was announced that the new Candys were out and that they had sorted all the problems, out came my wallet.

Fast forward 6 months and my Candy 3s have seized too…. To the point that the axel is damaged… Hell of a lot of money for such an early failure.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the pedals, just not the durability. Will be talking to the LBS about warranty.

Nick_M2r

Likes Dirt
Sorry to hear mate, unfortunatly this is what crankbro's pedals are know for, great looks and performance, but absolute SH^T durability
My 5050's went to crap after 2 rides, so did my mates and his brothers, hence why i now run straitlines

This is why people say the only nice thing about crankbros is the packaging....

T-Rex

Template denier
I ran Crank Bros Mallets and Candys for a couple of years on four bikes in the stable, and have a couple of gripes about them, which is why I now run Shimano. However, I have not had this problem.

Are those pedals fitted with cartridge bearings? If you are riding in the wet, any cartridge bearing can get muck and water trapped in it and it will freeze up if you just let it sit after a wet ride. If you then spin the bearing, the rust and grit inside the bearing wears the surfaces and stuffs the bearing. I learned this the hard way after doing my first ever wet DH race, I just hosed the bike off and parked it. Next weekend, nothing rotated. Cranks and wheels were seized or stiff, even the jockey wheels in the derailleur were siezed solid.

So now after a wet race, we completely strip the bike Sunday night, pull the sides out of all the cartridge bearings, hose them out with WD40 and regrease them. Thank God for single pivot suspension. If you are not up for this level of maintenence, I'd say the solution is don't ride in the wet.

I don't think your issue is a fault of Crank Brothers.

0psi

Eats Squid
Did you purchase your pedals new? If so you may be able to get a warranty service. The 3's run on bearings rather than the bearing and bushing system of old Crank Bros pedals, so durability should be a lot better but riding in the wet is just a killer.

Purchased new and will be talking to the LBS when I can... Yes there are bearings, sealed on the outside and a needle roller on the inside.

Bike has done one wet ride with these peds, but was fine the week after. No high pressure water, just slowly running and clean the bike with a brush.

After pulling them down so I could actually go for a ride I found both the sealed and the needle rollers seized.... Thankfully I had some leftovers from my acids...

The seal, although different in design from the Acids obviously isn't up to the job. Clearly designed for spinning free rather than keeping the crap out. If I invent something better I will let everyone know...

P.S. I am also a VERY happy owner of two sets of Egg beaters, both of which have been through more than these new peds... And still spin awesome! My Mallets haven't been around long enough for me to comment.... So switching to another make is going to be expensive... :(

T-Rex

Template denier
Since you like Crank Bros, do you want some more? I've got several sets plus parts, which I have been meaning to offload. Best to take this off line, PM me if interested.