Crank Brothers egg beater pedals

Dan76

Likes Dirt
I'm looking at installing a set of Crank brothers egg beaters on my XC rig and was wondering if anyone had been using them and do they work ok. They're such a simple design and I was hoping someone could give me some feedback. Cheers.:D

Landon

Likes Dirt
eggbeaters

I once owned a set of new Triple Ti's. Personally, I didn't like them one bit. They would release way too easily even at the maximum float angle, and the entry had a very vague feel. The pedals would release unexpectedly causing some scary moments. I now use a pair of Time ATAC XS Ti Carbons. They're just awesome!

bumpygreen

Rate Cool
SL's

I have been using the SL's (blue spring) on my AM and XC bike and I fully recomend them.
Some people wont like the amount of float available from the pedal but I have never 'accidentaly' clipped out or anything like that. I find the release angles more than generous and the ability to release heel in and heel out means I have never been 'stuck in'.

Just have a go on someone elses setup and see if you like them.

My $0.02

tprmc78

Likes Dirt
I have used a set of eggbeaters now for 3 years on the xc bike and have never had a problem with them. They are great pedals and easy to use with a wide range of shoes as well.

Only problem I have had with them is in a crash they lose the end caps.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My friends ride them and do fine, but their lighter guys.

I'm heavier and seem to have to select parts more carefully or I'll break it. I broke Crank Bros pedals four times. I've gone to Time ATACs and haven't looked back. If you're hard on gear, go the Times.

gnole

Squid
The Crank Brother pedels I feel clip you in but give your foot a broad range of movement/travel
Where the clip ins you can adjust them so your foot feels really tight and secure.
Also when I am climbing my crankbrother pedels make a scrapeing noise sometimes anyone else have this problem?
All in all i like clip ins

bumpygreen

Rate Cool
Sounds

Also when I am climbing my crankbrother pedels make a scrapeing noise sometimes anyone else have this problem?
For some reason some shoes seem to contact the bars on the pedals. The sound may be the bar rubbing on the sole of your shoe. CB make a protective shim that fits between the sole of your shoe and cleat to stop this.
Have look to see if there are wera marks on the sole in front of or behind the cleat position..

John U

MTB Precision
I have got egg beater sl's on all my bikes. i am a big fan. i've had no real issues.

accidental unclipping can happen as a result of worn cleats. replace the cleats and everything will feel like new again.

like everything they will wear out eventually, but no quicker than anything else i have tried.

davidtcr

Likes Bikes
I have run Eggbeaters for a few years now and love them. I don't seem to have any problems with accidental unclipping, and they are the best on muddy tracks.

gixer7

Likes Dirt
I've had eggbeaters on my bikes for years and would not use anything else.

My junker bike (now on fluid trainer duties) has some Eggbeater C and they are great for a budget.

I run SL's on my daily commute bike and they have been fantastic for 3,000 km's.

I have Ti's on my XC HT and they are starting to wear after almost 3,000km (all offroad) - you can feel the mechanism is pretty loose - but they still hold my feet in the pedals firmly and have not ever had an accidental release.

Another pair of Ti's I had on my VT are still going strong after approx 2,000km - I sold the VT but kept the pedals.

Everybody I ride (6-7 regularly) with runs different combos of eggbeaters and none of us has ever had an issue except for one and that was simply high mileage wear and tear. Were replaced with another set of eggbeaters.

They get real sloppy with worn cleats but what doesn't? But had lots of problems with SPD's in mud and emergency unclips - never been an issue with eggbeaters. They may initially feel like you are not locked in but it is deceptive. Once you get used to them you won't notice it.

Did I mention I like eggbeaters? A lot.

I have used a number of CB pedals and am in need of one more set.
Eggbeaters, Acids, Candys and Smartys.
Eggbeaters have been excelent, Candys are great, Smartys lasted one ride and the Acids I have had nothing but trouble with! (when I explained my concerns Crank brothers told me to re-build my acids after every ride.... not cool for pedals worth so much....)
Im no light-weight either, 93kg, so I tend to be hard on gear!

+1 for the pedals
-1 for customer service

Dan76

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that guys I'll borrow a set and try them out and if I like them I'll be another egg beater convert. Thanks for the feedback.:D

clockworked

Like an orange
I once owned a set of new Triple Ti's. Personally, I didn't like them one bit. They would release way too easily even at the maximum float angle, and the entry had a very vague feel. The pedals would release unexpectedly causing some scary moments. I now use a pair of Time ATAC XS Ti Carbons. They're just awesome!
I had that problem - but putting the plastic spacer in sorted it for me. It seemed to need the extra 'height' for the cleat to fit snugly into the mechanism.

They're a tops pedal.

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
Tried both SPD's and egg beaters.

For "accidental" unclipping i can only recall one occasion on the SPD's very dangerous moment. Eggbeaters no problems at all. Simple effective.

The SPD's to me seem like it takes too much effort to clip in. Chunky, ugly, packs with sand/mud very easily. Especially when it does clog you have to literally slamm your foot in. Eggbeaters, no sand/mud at all. CLick click click.

The float on the eggbeaters are good for me. Minimal float is ok because its gives me more chance of comming out of a "need to plant foot" moment better.

I would really love to try Time attack one day but the cost of it is just way too up there.

Landon

Likes Dirt
Cleat Clearance

I had that problem - but putting the plastic spacer in sorted it for me. It seemed to need the extra 'height' for the cleat to fit snugly into the mechanism.

They're a tops pedal.
Yeah, that wasn't a problem with my Sidis. There was a perfect amount of clearance for the spring to close on the cleat.

I bought my 3ti's new, so there certainly weren't any wear issues. My mates shoes with Mallets on his BMX felt exactly the same; super vague and far too easy to accidentally release. The cleat is working against the spring as soon as you move your foot left or right and it’s just the lip on the cleat that changes the release angle. You feel a little resistance and then pop! They open and you’re out while climbing that nasty hill. It was always on my mind while riding and slowed me down. To be honest, they actually started to work a little better once the edges wore off the cleats. This allowed the wings to stay closed over a wider angle range, but this still wasn’t good enough. Maybe I should have tried filing them down a little.

In the end, I was left scratching my head. They're probably a great pedal for a beginner. There's no way you'd get stuck clipped in. But for me, they just didn’t work.

Time pedals carry a slight weight penalty over the eggbeaters, but the spring mechanism is far more secure. I have never once popped out of them accidentally! They’re probably not the best pedal to use after buying that first serious MTB, but if you like to be attached to your bike and only pop out when required; I feel they’re the best pedal design in the world.

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
I've been using eggbeaters since they came out and have gone through a few sets now. So far I have a had a bearing die on one set and broken a cage on one candy. For the amount of riding that I have done with them they have been superb. Easy in and easy out, don't get blocked with mud etc. Will never use shimano again. Haven't tried Time.

As for the unexpected release - the only time that has ever happened is when the cleat is really worn or I've hit a rock or log on the on the bottom of the pedal stroke which has released the cleat. Very, very rare and not a drama when it happens.

Highly, highly recommended pedal.

mushroom

Likes Dirt
Tried both SPD's and egg beaters.
For "accidental" unclipping i can only recall one occasion on the SPD's very dangerous moment.
Kicking the front spokes while pedalling hard down a FAST fireroad due to a SPD accidental release was enough to put me off them. Could have ended very badly.

I can't comment on the eggbeaters, but I switched to TIME pedals after that and I think they're heaps better. I've got aliums and ATAC XS pedals on two of my bikes, they feel pretty similar. They're easy to get in and out of, and I've never had an accidental release- or been unable to release.