Crank "click"?

dave3107

Likes Bikes
Having probs with a clicking noise in the right crank (Giant Trance X1 - 2008 with Evolve XC cranks). Have taken it to a good quality LBS who seem to make it stop for a while but it always returns - driving me nuts!! Unsure if it is crank or BB or whatever??!!

Any ideas?:confused:
Cheers.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Either of these two things.

1. BB needs greasing
2. Bolts on chain ring ar slightly loose

Id try tighting in the chain ring bolts first beacuse its quick an easy, if this fails try the BB.

Lorday

Eats Squid
When does it click?

If it is at a certain spot in the revolution on the cranks, it could be a bent tooth, which can lead to bent links in your chain, which the LBS may replace (and hence why the click goes away - until the next link or teo is bent).

It could also be a bearing in the pedal coming loose and grinding as the pedal comes to that certain point.

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mine does that to, ive found out that the races of the bearings in my bb are shagged.

i can re pack it, and it works fine for one ride, then it starts clicking again...

might be the same situation here, might not be:confused:

NCR

Likes Bikes
I also had some noises from my Race Face cranks, not what I would describe as a click though. Tightening the chainring bolts fixed it for me. I recomend a little grease on the threads and do them up just snug as it's very easy to shear the heads off the bolts (I learnt the hard way).

dave3107

Likes Bikes
Eureka!! (I think!)

After many long months, I think the problem is solved! Can you believe it was as simple as tightening up the deraillieur hanger - no shight! Thanks to Kerry at Phantom.:D

TheRidingDr.

Likes Bikes
there are a few things it could be

1 of them is that your chain needs oil or is had it
It could also be that your that your BB is loose or is shot
it could also be that your chian rings or cranks are loose on the spindle

If it is a dule suspension it could be that your bushes and pivots need to be re greesed or replaced