Crank-lock for better cornering

MARKL

Eats Squid
if you are SITTING on the seat all your weight is on the seat because you are pushing against it with your weight. When you STAND up all your weight on your body pushes against the pedals because you are standing over them. The pedals are lower to the ground and therefore this DOES LOWER your center of gravity.
I obviously can't resist banging my head againt a brick wall...still this thread is funny as!

Tono lets extend your "theory" about the pedals being lower to the ground and thus lowering your CoG WHEN YOU STAND UP...

Your pedals are conected to your cranks, then to frame and rest of bike which all sits on your wheels and tyres (hope your keeping up, I will type slower if it helps;)) your tyres are in contact with the ground. Now if we extend your theory that CoG depends on weight sitting on the lowest part of your bike...your CoG will transfer to where the tyres contact the ground and nothing that happens above this point will make any difference to your CoG...which is obviously moronic and wrong.

Last edited:

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have to say I haven't laughed so hard for ages.
The sheer stupidity in some of the posts is astonishing.
More surprisingly, throughout all this discussion, not once has inertia, corner radius nor traction been mentioned.
Mind you, that's probably irrelevant if you corner standing up with your cg 3 feet below the ground... :D

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Funny thread.

But seriously, all the "how to" mountain bike vids/books say that when you corner you want to put your weight through your outside foot (with a slightly bent leg). Why in the article in the OP does it talk about motor bike riders putting their weight through the inside foot for better cornering?
This is the quote from the article:
""I was taught by a world champion, and he taught me that you've gotta get your weight on the inside of the bike, as low as you can, and that's where all your cornering comes from. So you push down with that inside foot, and then you just gently adjust with your handlebars."
Notice that it says push down on the inside foot and then... blah blah. The pushing down on the inside foot is a way a motorbike rider can assist the "tipping" of the bike, BUT the weight doesn't stay on the inside peg through the corner as such. ;)

p.s. Bumping this thread feels awesome :p

This is the best thread ever! I bet there would be a few high school physics teachers rolling in their graves. By the way, standing on your pedals will give you more control over your bike via weight distribution but in no way lowers your CoG Oh and the product is a load of B.S