Crank Swapping - Need to change BB Cup???

Foggy

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

Quick question for those in the know. I just received my new Raceface Atlas crankset. I currently have a Raceface Ride DH crankset installed on my bike. They both use the same BB cup bearings.

My question is, when installing the new crank, can I just leave the existing BB cup in there, or do I have to replace that as well. I know when you replace your cassette that you need to replace your chain also. So is the crank one of those funny things, or can it just be swapped out?

Secondly (assuming it's OK to leave the existing BB cup), can I reuse the existing seals on the old crank and use them on the new one?

Thanks, - Mike.

Dicky

Punter God
Should be fine to leave the existing BB in the frame.

I swapped out my XT BB for a Diabolus a while back (deeper threads), no troubles.

Last I checked, Raceface cranks used a slightly unusual set of spindle (NOT cup) spacers to set the bearing preload. Make sure the spacer setup going on matches the one coming off, or your bearings will be too loose/tight and will wear out prematurely.

I haven't played with RF cranks for a while, so check your user's manual, or I'm sure someone else will pipe up with a more definite answer.

Foggy

Likes Dirt
Thanks Dicky,

I was definitely going to match the spacer setup. I've read that a lot of people have had trouble with Raceface cranks/bearings, which is a shame because they really are a nice crankset. Most problems appear to be from improper installation. It was for this reason that I didn't want to mess with the BB bearings, as mine works 100%!

Does anyone else have any comments/tips for me regarding this? - Mike.

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
i have race face evolve xc cranks
i dont know if this is problem with the cranks but when i really tighten them with the 8mm allen key that seem to a bit stiff and dont seem to spin as well compaired to if i dont tighten them as much.

how do i fix this apart from buying XT's:D

cheer
Brent

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
...buy XTs....

It sounds like your preloading the bearings too much...for them to really work properly, you need to torque them to the recommeded figure...Maybe try tightening the 8mm till it feels right...the 10mm cap over the end should prevent the 8mm from comming loose...

The above link has a trobleshooting section...check it out...

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
...buy XTs....

It sounds like your preloading the bearings too much...for them to really work properly, you need to torque them to the recommeded figure...Maybe try tightening the 8mm till it feels right...the 10mm cap over the end should prevent the 8mm from comming loose...

The above link has a trobleshooting section...check it out...
thanks for that. and the link. ill check it out:D

cheers
brent

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Basically you have too many spacers in there if it binds up. Remove one and see if it spins free when the bolt bottoms out. If not, remove another and repeat.