crankbros candy 1 vs anything else

callum1

Likes Dirt
i'v ridden flat pedals for years, but bought some candy 1's recently on an impulse, first clipless pedals (clipless doesn't make sense in my mind). is it just me being shit, or are these hard to clip into?
other riders i ride with have shimano and just seem to pop straight in, while im still sliding my foot around trying to find the bloody things.
has anyone gone from candy's to something else and found location easier.

Ivan

Eats Squid
i'v ridden flat pedals for years, but bought some candy 1's recently on an impulse, first clipless pedals (clipless doesn't make sense in my mind). is it just me being shit, or are these hard to clip into?
other riders i ride with have shimano and just seem to pop straight in, while im still sliding my foot around trying to find the bloody things.
has anyone gone from candy's to something else and found location easier.
Going from Shimano to Crank Bro's I did notice it was marginally more difficult to find the spot, but the difference is small. I know CB's are supposed to be easier to get into, as you can come at the pedal from different directions, but my brain is programed for sliding forward after using the shimano's first.

I did notice the wider release angle a lot more. It may have only been 1° , but after riding shimano's for so long it made a difference.

Last edited:

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stick with them, they just take some time to get used to, being quite different to other designs.

Personally, I moved away from them because of constant bearing issues, but that was years ago, maybe not a problem now.

T.3

Likes Dirt
After moving on from flats I have used the CB Candys. As said they just take some getting used to, it's a big jump flats to clip ins and I reckon most people have a settling in period. Having said That I haven't used any other clip in pedal besides these so I can't really compare them.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the candys are more toy like don't think they're robust enough for my liking - had a set fall apart in a month the plastic molding broke away from the pedal, I've used cb eggbeaters for years without an issue.

clipping in; only reason you'd have trouble is if there's not enough clearance so your shoe is not allowing it to engage, so spacer brass cleat that screws onto your shoe out.

from cbs faqs.
I'm having difficulty clipping into the pedals.
Many mountain bike shoes have thick tread on the sole. This can make it difficult to clip into the pedals. If you experience this, install one shim (thin black plastic wafer that goes between the sole and cleat) on each shoe. This will position the cleat farther away from the sole and closer to the pedal. A maximum of 2 shims per cleat may be used. If this does not work, slightly trim the shoes tread (in the contact area only) using a sharp blade or sanding wheel, Proceed in small increments and check fitment between each trimming. The tread should make contact with the pedal, but not so much that the tread compresses and allows the cleat to contact the spring (which causes difficulty clipping in).

Last edited:

Gripo

Eats Squid
I've found that of the 4 locations on CB pedals that you can clip in, some are easier than others and also offer more/less float depending on spring tension....so try all positions.

When you've found your favorite position on the pedal put a texter/paint stripe at that location.

Also put a similar marking on the outsides of your shoes to mark the cleat location.

All this will help you clip in without too much delay....

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yea i'v got the shims in. thanks for the experiences, practice makes perfect i suppose.
ok, then clip on just the shoe and check around the pedal for the tread interfering with the pedal if ok.

then yep it's practice, - bit of a tip, you're riding along in tight ST you unclip, navigate tight stuff you don't have to clip in straight away to get going, put your shoe on the pedal at the instep push down get moving then you can clip in without the pressure of clipping and pedaling under load. it's always tougher to clip in and pedal (simultaneously) with load to exit you out of tight stuff so get pedaling then clip in.

once you get really skilled up you will be able to slam your foot into cb without hesitating and also if your low speed balance is good you will find you rarely clip out as you can hold up and balance at very low speed.