Cranks

lethalweapon

Likes Dirt
Hey

I am starting to hit my pedals on the ground more often. So i belive it is time for an upgrade, Now my question is what length?
I am stuck between 165mm and 170mm, Now i am not short im just over 6ft.
Will there be an advatage to run 165mm over 170mm without there being a problem because of my height. Will there be a differance in performance wise either??

I am Going for a shimano crankset, but i cannot decide on which one's, Im either going for Saints or hone (big differance?, I also heard of a problem in fitting into crank holders?) Or Deore XT Cranks. Now they also need to be LIGHT

They are for a DH bike, not a freejibbing bike

Hope i havent asked for too much :eek:

Thanks guys

jollyollie

Likes Dirt
If the crank is shorter then you'll be able to pedal better at high speeds. If it's longer you'll get more power starting up. I wouldn't worry too much about your height or whats considered better in general or anything like that because crank length is really a personal preference thing. If you're running gears and don't want to hit your cranks then 165mm is the more logical desicion but it really depends on personal preference.

Can't help you with what actual crank arm you should get but I've heard good things about both Saint and Hone.

xc_machine

Likes Dirt
It's personal preferance. I'd go the 170's and learn to not hit them. Getting 165's will force you change to higher gearing.
165's feel too short for me. I like 170's just fine for the size of circle.

Think about it, how big are yuor current ones? maybe try some on a bike at your lbs..

lethalweapon

Likes Dirt
My current cranks are 175mm but i always hit them even if i put one pedal down and bounce on my bike they hit the ground....My bike's low...
I think i will go the 165mm

cheers

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saints are heavier than most people need, and they don't fit in some crank holsters.

XT's are super light, a little bit expensive, you can save a lot by buying XT's from OS. very popular with serious DH racers.

Hones are a little heavier than XT, a lot cheaper, they are black :) , they also have pedal inserts and a heavy duty axle.