Crankset recommendations for 1x10 conversion

tunsis

Likes Bikes
Am in the process of converting my drive train from a Shimano XTR M970 Triple to a 1x10.

I'm pretty sure that I can use my existing cranks however they are abit ugly with a Hope NW chainring so am pondering something else....

However navigating bottom brackets, spindles... all of it is a nightmare!

Thinking about:
- RaceFace Turbine Cinch (think it has some future proofing with diff. drive train standards)
- RaceFace Turbine 104 BCD (lots on sale, seem okay)
- Rotor 3D 104 BCD (pricey but I have one on my road bike and I rate these, very light and well made)
- Shimano Zee (cheap but pretty sure its heavy?)

Bike its going onto is this: http://www.specialized.com/ie/gb/bikes/archive/2008/s-worksmountain/s-worksstumpjumperfsr#specs

Any recommendations really appreciated.

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
For completeness a copy from the other website with this question ...

If you're going 1x10 then the higher level SRAM cranks offer direct mount capability, which is lighter. Zee is heavy but surely a different price bracket to Rotor gear ? 10 speed shimano stuff is discounted at the moment so you could pick up a decently price xtr or xt crankset and sell off the rings, depending on budget. 3x cranks or direct mount SRAM offer the best chainline for 1x10.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
For completeness a copy from the other website with this question ...

If you're going 1x10 then the higher level SRAM cranks offer direct mount capability, which is lighter. Zee is heavy but surely a different price bracket to Rotor gear ? 10 speed shimano stuff is discounted at the moment so you could pick up a decently price xtr or xt crankset and sell off the rings, depending on budget. 3x cranks or direct mount SRAM offer the best chainline for 1x10.
Agree with creaky, direct mount is the best way with 1x10.

Either X9/XO or RaceFace Cinch. Very happy with my X9 + works components direct mount. Don't bother with spider mount if you're planning on replacing your crankset anyway.

tunsis

Likes Bikes
... sorry if I seem like I havent done my research into this... its a bloody minefield!

Disclaimer, have the following bits already:

Deore XT M786 Shadow Plus Rear Derailleur
Deore XT 10 Speed Cassette
Deore XT M780 10 Speed Rapidfire Pods
SRAM PC1091 10 Speed Hollow Pin Chain - 114 Links
Hope 34T Narrow Wide 104 BCD Chain Ring

My existing BB is this, a 68mm threaded Hope:

http://www.hopetech.com/product/threaded/

What are the SRAM option that could be considered?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Any sram cranks will require a new bb, not really worth it if you already have a ring. A DM ring for SRAM GXP will set you back another $90 or so, 35-50 for the BB on top of the crankset.

ChopSticks

Banned
I just upgraded my old M980 XTR's to the Next SL

the FaceFace cinch system is awesome! so modular and should future proof the bike for a fear years.

HOWEVER! things to consider before going race face:
the threaded BSA30 bttom bracket is different to your hope/shimano BB's, and requires a special tool ($30~) so thats a cost you have to take into account. (ie completely new system)
the Race Face's direct mount ring standard isn't mainstream(yet?) which means only a selected range of rings. You do however have the option of purchasing the 2/3x 104BCD adaptor, to open up your options.... but that adaptor is $60~... and with the tool, BB, adaptor + cranks... it can REALLY add up.

Rotor I believe is also running on the 30mm spindle standard, so it too requires a special tool and BSA30 BB. its relatively light, and if Spanish bling is your thing... then go for it! Unlikely you'll see another set on the trails.

edit: just realised you have rotor on your road bike... so you prob have the rotor bb30 tool anyway?

IMO... if weight isnt a factor, then go Sram x9,xx1 cranks. NO new tools required. PLENTY of ring choice from all sorts of manufacturers, and has plenty of q-factors to choose from.
They should also be much cheaper than Raceface for a comparable set up. !?!

dont worry about your cassette/chain/mech/shifter etc... the only problem you nee to worry about in your situation is just the cranks

do you have a budget?

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
They are fucking sex with pedals, though. And lighter that a vegan Fart.
precisely why I got the Next SL's :third:

If youre leaning towards the older 104 turbine... then just grab a new M980 for $300 delivered (merlin), but I do vote for the cinch system

the cinch system is just awesome! all it takes is one lock ring to change chain rings (3 bolts on sram cranks?)... yes its unlikely you'll be flipping chain rings very often... but its a nice simple design when you do need to.
It also allows you to change spindles (to suit fat bikes), so both crank arms come off the spindle separately, and means you wont need to take your cranks off completely to chain rings (like Shimano).

If colour is your thing.... I contacted RF re: chainring colours, and they said "We have Blue, Green and Red DM ring colours now available. We will release new colours in the coming months...most likely including some purple power!" so they should have all colours covered.

My Next SL set up costed me $500~ aud delivered (cranks,BB,ring, no tool)... if thats your budget, then send me a pm

tunsis

Likes Bikes
so I'm wondering if some SRAM XX1 cranks would work... ?

PF30, q168... so I'd need a new BB but is there a BB what would work with my bike?

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so I'm wondering if some SRAM XX1 cranks would work... ?

PF30, q168... so I'd need a new BB but is there a BB what would work with my bike?
Get GXP cranks rather than BB30, and one of these while you are at it:
Or stick with your XTR, and get a hope NW in Red or Gunmetal...