Cranksets.Will it Fit?

timedward

Likes Dirt
G'day Guys,

I'm after a bit of advice with cranksets. I currently am investing in a new drivetrain for a Fuji Tahoe Comp and have come unstuck with regards to cranksets. The current crankset on the bike is a Truvativ 5D, which I'm also confused as to whether this is a square taper or ISIS setup (Any quick way to check?). Furthermore I am wondering if a Shimano Deore Hollowtech II crankset and external BB will fit on this frame. The BB is 73mm, Do the external BB's need to be faced or will it be a simple swap? (I know I need crank extractor etc to get cranks off)

Thanks in advance,
Tim.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Deore cranks with the Hollowtech BB will slot straight into a 73mm BB shell. Shimano BB's are very friendly in regard to facing and you can generally put them straight in without worrying.

If you had the Shimano set up on you and took it in with your bike into a shop it should take them about 5-10 minutes to do the swap.

If you wanted to do it yourself I'd look at getting the Truvativ cranks taken out at a shop and then install the Shimano gear with the designated tool. BBB make a good one with the finger preloader. Doing it that way would avoid having to buy tools for each BB type and would provide you with the tool to perform ongoing maintenance on the Shimano set up.

Happy spannering.