CRC - Possible Credit Card fraud

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
think i just got done this morning as i ordered stuff off CRC in Feb and April. spotted a very random $0.94 transaction so just called the bank and binned the card. Ah well 5 days with no card but better safe than sorry.
Watch out for these. They call them spots, or spotters.
A test transaction for a very small amount. If it is successful, they then attempt a higher transaction.
Sometimes though, a small transaction like that will show up as a visa authorisation.
Like if you book a Hotel over the phone they will do an authorisation for a dollar to make sure your'e legit. They are supposed to return it when you check out but often don't bother.

abevern

Likes Dirt
i sent them one aswell, hopefully nothing will happin, fingers crossed :)
I sent an email over a week ago and got no response. I asked why it was they'd taken no steps to notify customers and why it wasn't mentioned in their news page. Apparently being upset doesn't qualify you for a $50 voucher. :confused:

I'm pretty disappointed in CRC, having collectively pumped a significant amount through their coffers, they still have done nothing to notify anyone that they may've been compromised. That people are still stumbling onto this thread weeks after the event says that there are people being affected who don't even know why.

I'm certainly in no hurry to order anything from them.

Oh well, on the bright side it makes the LBS look like a better option.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://vimeo.com/23284279

seems they can process 24 orders/ min to over 100 countries....

I wonder how fast these hackers can steal our money and just how much they have got so far??? The buners who have written on this thread must total $20K plus by now.
Probably x20 Aust wide (Roadies etc and many who never get on here)or more, x20 for the bigest order countries= 8Mill + and not slowing down......

And still no word from CRC on their web site.

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
My bank notified me today about my card - on checking the account it seems I've been done too!

I haven't used my card for anything in the last 4ish months, except a purchase on CRC in March - so it's got to be this - and the other stuff was low risk stuff like rego payment etc.

A little annoyed - but pretty impressed that the Bank's systems are efficient enough to pick out unusual card usages like that.

Mine was 2 'spotters' for less than a dollar amount and one for $144. Scum.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
A test transaction for a very small amount. If it is successful, they then attempt a higher transaction.
Sometimes though, a small transaction like that will show up as a visa authorisation.
Like if you book a Hotel over the phone they will do an authorisation for a dollar to make sure your'e legit. They are supposed to return it when you check out but often don't bother.
yep bank called today and said that they had tried to make some purchases but as i had cancelled the card they didnt get through....

Too fast for those nigerian scammers!;)

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
CRC aren't Robinson Crusoe in this. Ribble had the same problem for quite some time and I got nailed last year (for the first time in a decade of online shopping) when solely shopping with Wiggle.

Apparently I purchased a flight to France (from Gatwick), a hire car in France and some shoes and babywear from French outlets.......it took NAB a while to sort out but they did indeed sort it very happily for me.

My bet is that there is something about the way British financial service providers to the cycle shops do business that allows holes in their systems. Rather than the shops themselves being the sole cause of the drama....

Never shopped at CRC as the freight cost typically makes the purchase not viable compared to Wiggle or Evans.

DeBloot

Feeling old
Does anyone know if this is an issue if you pay using paypal
Rather than just using credit card direct

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Does anyone know if this is an issue if you pay using paypal
Rather than just using credit card direct
I recently spent over $1,500 on parts over a period of about three weeks through CRC using only paypal and it worked fine. No probs. No credit card.

I have my paypal to do payments as an e-cheque so it takes a few days to clear out of your bank account and clear at their end, but so far it has been safe from my end.

Been doing this way for about three years and I trust it. Touch wood.

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have my paypal to do payments as an e-cheque so it takes a few days to clear out of your bank account and clear at their end, but so far it has been safe from my end.

Been doing this way for about three years and I trust it. Touch wood.
I have been using e-cheques via paypal in all my transactions with CRC over about a 5-6 year period. Never had a single problem and paypal don't get my credit card details either.

auskonrad

Likes Dirt
Apparently I purchased a flight to France (from Gatwick), a hire car in France and some shoes and babywear from French outlets......
Yeah, mine was also a purchase at 'Gatwick'. Although they made 2 other fake payments - fake because one was charged in a way to make it look like it was US itunes store, and another from Bond University on the Gold Coast. Don't know how you can make it look like those things, but they did. And they all had consistent spelling errors... so instead of Gatwick airport - Atwick Airport, and instead of Bond University Gold Coast, it was Bond University Old Coast.

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Yep. I got 2 less than a $1 transactions then boom $3.6k. Sadly only got a call from the bank when the $3.6k one happened (tho it all happened within a couple of hours). Still in the process of trying to get my money back. The way I understand it, for Visa at least, your bank doesn't do much of the work checking out the fraudulent transaction - Visa does. And Visa can take upto 45 days to investigate.

All signs point to getting the money back, but its still a worry.

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
Just come out the other end of the visa process- yes it can take time but all costs for the concert tickets in amsterdam netherlands and belguim (about 3.5 k worth) have been refunded, including interest, international transaction fees and overlimit fee. Sent crc an email and got the $50 voucher, which I promptly used via paypal...

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Just come out the other end of the visa process- yes it can take time but all costs for the concert tickets in amsterdam netherlands and belguim (about 3.5 k worth) have been refunded, including interest, international transaction fees and overlimit fee. Sent crc an email and got the $50 voucher, which I promptly used via paypal...
took me about 30 seconds from getting my voucher to spending it ha ha!

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt
quite sure i just got done a few days ago, last crc purchse was in like april, and i havn't made any credit card purchases other than insurance, so i think it may still be happening, ah well bank caught it and new card is on the way with no loss.

colesy01

Likes Bikes
Hey all, nice to hear that most of the stories have ended well however Paypal is not infallible either, I have had my Paypal account hacked previously though they were on their game and froze the account straight away and refunded the costs. The inconvenience still sucks though.