Creak Coming From Fork Area?

Wardrop

Likes Dirt
For a while now, I've had a creak coming from the front forks (or somewhere around there). I've ignored it for months, but am only now trying to get to the bottom of it. I've ruled out pretty much all but the headset, forks or front wheel. I've already pulled apart the headset to clean out sand and what not, but that didn't seem to help a great deal. One thing I noticed when putting the headset bake together was that the top bearing racer cup, didn't fit snug into the head tube; there was a bit of play in other words. I'm not sure if this is a problem or a potential source of the creak, but it's worth a mention. Also, just to clarify, the creak sounds whenever forward or backward force is applied to the front wheel. So whenever I use the front brakes, or hit a bit of a bump.

Could I also get some advise as to what to lube in the headset assembly. As far I can tell, the only thing that needs lubing are the bearings inside the racer cups. Do I have to put any lube between the racers and the head tube, or between the racers and the steering column? Maybe a lack of lubricate in and around there is causing the creak?

I'm mainly hoping to get advice as to where to look next. Is it worth taking a part my Fox air-based suspension? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Stint

Likes Dirt
I had a similar creak, more of a clicking actually, when I got my Fox 36's a couple of years ago. Bringing it back to the shop, it turns out that its a known issue that the connection between the steerer tube and the crown developed a creak. I would be guessing as to what the cause of it is, so I won't speculate.

Luckily, my forks were still under warranty, and so I ended up getting a new crown and steerer assembly.

macca21

Likes Dirt
use regular grease in the headset and just put it everywhere, can't use enough really.
try that and see how it goes.

Wardrop

Likes Dirt
What type of forks are they dude?
Fox 32 F120R

use regular grease in the headset and just put it everywhere, can't use enough really.
try that and see how it goes.
i had exactly the same creak dude, packed my headset full of grease.....now i have silence :)
Lube it is. The only question that remains is: whale lard, or teflon grease? :) I'll give teflon grease a go and see if that helps.

Thanks guys!

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ahhh ok im out sorry...

had a similiar thing with my 40s and i manage to fix the problem.

Hope you get it sorted!

aidz44

Likes Dirt
have you checked the stem? ie. the connection between the steer tube - stem and the connection from stem - handlebars.

If grease fails to work around the headset, then try around there.
I think graphite powder should work, but if someone can confirm that rather than just a hunch from myself.

tim_d

Likes Dirt
It's a long shot, and depends on the stem (this is a bad picture but you get the idea), if there is a gap where the arrow is in this picture:

Make sure it is the same sized gap top and bottom? A mate had it fully closed at the top on his bike, and open about 5mm at the bottom and he'd get a creaking sound coming from the front end when putting force (i.e braking etc) on the front end. Took a while to work out what it was but that solved it.
Like i said, long shot, but worth a look..

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
If it's an older Fox fork, it's highly likely that it's developed 'creaky crown syndrome'. It's fairly common and doesn't affect the function of the bike (though may drive the rider insane...).

Only real option is a new CSU...

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
. One thing I noticed when putting the headset bake together was that the top bearing racer cup, didn't fit snug into the head tube; there was a bit of play in other words. I'm not sure if this is a problem or a potential source of the creak, but it's worth a mention. Also, just to clarify, the creak sounds whenever forward or backward force is applied to the front wheel. So whenever I use the front brakes, or hit a bit of a bump.
This sounds like your frame (head tube)has been ovalized. And if it is, new frame, or time to call GripSport.......

Wardrop

Likes Dirt
Ovalised? I hope not, I only bought this Giant Trance X3 2010 a year ago, and I've hardly ridden it when you think about it (50 hours probably).

As for the creak, I've lubed up the inside and outside of all the racer cups (I didn't lube the outside of the bottom racers as I didn't know how to get them out). The creak is still there. With the forks out, I tested the forks for creaks independently of the frame but couldn't reproduce the creak.

For those who are hinting at the possibility that it could be something to do with the stem or handlebars, I'll have you know that I've been able to reproduce the creak with the stem completely removed. It's definitely looking like it's coming from the head tube. I think I need to get that bottom race out as that could certainly be where the problem lays.

Thanks for all the help and advise thus far!

scuba05

Likes Dirt
I know you said you ruled out the stem, but are you leaving your cap that goes on the top of your steerer tube torqued up to much? I've seen many a person have squeaks from that.
You can actually remove it after the stem has been tightened around the steerer tube.
Chances are slim that you have had it too tight multiple times, but thought it was worth a shot...

Wardrop

Likes Dirt
Yeah this was with everything removed from the steering column, except the racers of course. I'm really hoping that it's simply some caked up mud or something in that bottom racer, and not an inherit problem with my fork and frame combination.

The creak is certainly not the end of the world. I can live with it, but I don't like ignoring such sounds as they're a pretty good indicator that something isn't right.

Wardrop

Likes Dirt
Ok, since my last reply, I've taken out the bottom set of sealed bearings, which I've cleaned and lubed. After that didn't solve anything, I took the seals off the top and bottom sealed bearings and packed them with grease. This also didn't do anything to alleviate the creak.

The connection between the forks and head tube is also still a little wobbly (you can feel something moving back and forth as I pull back and forth on the bike), so I'm starting to think that maybe my head tube has in fact been ovalised, in which case I ask, how does one manage to ovalise their headtube in the first place? Have I done one too many endo's?

What I plan to do this afternoon when I get home, is take the forks off my brothers 2010 Giant Atlas, and fit them on my bike. If the creak still exists, we'll know for sure that there's something up with the head tube. Otherwise, it'll probably indicate a problem with the forks (an ovalised steering column even?).

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, since my last reply, I've taken out the bottom set of sealed bearings, which I've cleaned and lubed. After that didn't solve anything, I took the seals off the top and bottom sealed bearings and packed them with grease. This also didn't do anything to alleviate the creak.

The connection between the forks and head tube is also still a little wobbly (you can feel something moving back and forth as I pull back and forth on the bike), so I'm starting to think that maybe my head tube has in fact been ovalised, in which case I ask, how does one manage to ovalise their headtube in the first place? Have I done one too many endo's?

What I plan to do this afternoon when I get home, is take the forks off my brothers 2010 Giant Atlas, and fit them on my bike. If the creak still exists, we'll know for sure that there's something up with the head tube. Otherwise, it'll probably indicate a problem with the forks (an ovalised steering column even?).

Tried new bearings in the head set?

Greasing sealed bearings wont do much, because they're sealed, and if you take the seals off then the bearings are as good as finished anyway.

Go to a bearing supplier, take the bearings in and ask if they have any.
IT make just be that the bearings are worn out, especially if they were dry before you put grease in.

T-Rex

Template denier
What you are describing sounds like normal headset play that develops on any bike after a while. If you grab the front brake with your right hand and wrap your left hand around the top of the head tube and steerer right under the stem, and rock the bike back and forward, you can isolate if there's play in that area. I have mistaken loose axles, stuffed front bearings and even a loose brake caliper for headset play in the past.

The ovalising thing sounds unlikely to me. If your headset is ovalised, a cartridge (sealed) bearing either would not fit in, or if it did it would not turn freely.

Also, if you are going to tighten it up, make sure the top cap isn't bottoming out on the steerer tube. The uppermost headset spacer should extend about 3mm or so past the top of the steerer tube.

And don't forget to loosen the stem before tightening the top cap down.

Last edited:

Wardrop

Likes Dirt
Tried new bearings in the head set?

Greasing sealed bearings wont do much, because they're sealed, and if you take the seals off then the bearings are as good as finished anyway.
No I haven't tried new bearings, would you suggest any good online bearing stores (may be handy in the future if not now).

And why do you imply that taking seals off of sealed bearings ruin them? The seals go straight back on with no fuss. What's the go?

Wardrop

Likes Dirt
Also, if you are going to tighten it up, make sure the top cap isn't bottoming out on the steerer tube. The uppermost headset spacer should extend about 3mm or so past the top of the steerer tube.
I've pretty much ruled out the top cap and the rest of the stem assembly, as I can reproduce the creak without anything by the head tube on the steering column (no spacers or anything).

Swapping the forks will be interesting. I might also swap additional parts such as the bearing cartridges, assuming they fit.