Creaking cranks

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
I installed an external bb and zee cranks on my hardtail a few months back. Everything was good til a ride the over day. Now it creaks while putting pressure on the pedals, I swapped pedals but I've eliminated they're the issue. Should my next plan be to pull out the cranks, regrease the bb and cranks?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I installed an external bb and zee cranks on my hardtail a few months back. Everything was good til a ride the over day. Now it creaks while putting pressure on the pedals, I swapped pedals but I've eliminated they're the issue. Should my next plan be to pull out the cranks, regrease the bb and cranks?
Whip out the cranks and REMOVE the BB cups. Clean and grease the threads and re-install.
Make sure the pinch bolts and the crank arms are nipped up to the correct torque.

moorey

call me Mia
New bb? First step would be to remove cups, clean, regrease and refit nice and tight. Also make sure axle/crank are clean and add a smudge of grease.

edit. What he said. ^

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
After following the above, if you still creak...clean/grease pedal stubs and tighten chain ring bolts. You may get even need to decrease your pedal axles and bearings. The sound may actually be elsewhere in the frame...is your seat post wearing a thin slither of grease? You wouldn't want it getting stuck!

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
Did the chain ring bolts, bb and cranks, re lubed the chain too! Still bloody creaks! I'll try the seat post and pedal threads tomorrow. I can be standing beside the bike and apply pressure on the pedals and it creaks

moorey

call me Mia
Did the chain ring bolts, bb and cranks, re lubed the chain too! Still bloody creaks! I'll try the seat post and pedal threads tomorrow. I can be standing beside the bike and apply pressure on the pedals and it creaks
I've just lent a set of XT to a mate who's XT's creaked. It was definitely the crank. Stopped as soon as mine went in after trying everything else. Can you swap cranks to see?

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's common for the pedal threads to creak on xt cranks.

moorey

call me Mia
It's common for the pedal threads to creak on xt cranks.
sure.....because it's a special unobtainium they use in XT alone? :hand:
Using mainly SRAM cranks fir the DM now, but have run shimano cranks, mainly XT for 15 years, and never found this or heard this before my mates one set. He's a fugging big unit, I have to declare.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've ran more than my fair share of shimano cranks...and not had any creak issues. Even on the set I fucked the pinch bolts on. What are the chance of the led inserts on the crank loosening?

wavike

Likes Dirt
It could also be a crack in your frame. Found a creak in mates Trek ex turned out to be a crack after much searching.