Creaking in front end of Trance

camt44

Likes Bikes
Hey all,

So my 2013 Trance X1 makes a fair bit of noise when things get rough. On reasonably small bumps it makes a noticeable noise which sounds like it's coming from the front. When it gets very rough and fast it just gets noisier. Hard to describe the noise exactly, it doesn't sound like damaged parts or rattling or anything broken, it is more like things hitting against metal... I don't think there is anything wrong as such, but it just makes the bike sound dodgy when it starts making the noises. I think it is just the cables whacking against each other as that seems to make the same sound when I test it. Also, the internal cabling for the dropper post and derailleurs seems to be a culprit as I think it whacks against the inside of the frame (again, I can make the same noises by tugging on the cables..) I know chain slap will be in there too but it's a different noise to that.

Basically, I want to get rid of the noise so I can ride in peace. Does anyone have any suggestions about what could be making the noise (anything in addition to what I mentioned) and also how I could go about fixing it?

Thanks,

Cam

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Can't judge on the web but:

- headset adjustment
- internal cables - cable ties inside, foam shoved inside tube etc to stop rattle
- creaking fork crown

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
If you hear the creak when holding the front brake and rocking your bike back and forth it's likely the fork crown/stanchion. Bouncing the bike lightly on the back wheel should also make it creak a bit.

Testing the internal cabling, what does that involve?

My lady's bike had this creaking sound that really sounded like the headset was screwed, or the internal cabling was rattling, but the headset felt smooth and the cables didn't budge. Turns out it was the seat post bolt under the seat that needed tightening, and the sound was going right through the frame to the front end.

If it's not your fork, perhaps just go over the bike making sure everything is tight just to be sure. :)

Keachy

Likes Dirt
Been covered. Faulty csu ( crown steerer unit) if a fox on a 2013 trance. Tekin suspension directly should help you out with warranty to avoid lbs who have no idea and send forks to Rohan anyway. Cut out middle man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Been covered. Faulty csu ( crown steerer unit) if a fox on a 2013 trance. Tekin suspension directly should help you out with warranty to avoid lbs who have no idea and send forks to Rohan anyway. Cut out middle man.

Have not seen anything on this as I have a 2013 Trance XO. If it creaks or not should it be something to get sorted? Or are only some of them faulty? Read the link above but not much info.
My bike is only just over 6months old. What is the actual problem and is it dangerous etc loss of steering?

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
Noticed mine has started to make a similar sound over the weekend. Might take it for a quick spin around the block and see if I notice anything. 2014 Trance here.. but suspect that it is the Fox fork causing the problem here..

Keachy

Likes Dirt
I had the '13 X 29er 0 and allegedly nothing severely structural but severely annoying and was covered by warranty.

mojomodo

Likes Bikes
Creaking CSU Fox forks... It's a 2013 thing!

Had mine replaced for the 2nd time recently and looks like they finally fixed the problem.

teK--

Eats Squid
My 2014 Fox 34s do it after only 3-4 rides from new.

Used wicking grade Loctite on the stanchion/crown interface and resolved for a short ride but now creaking again. Will put some more on plus also on the steerer/crown interface as well.

CBF being without my bike for weeks whilst Fox fix it.

Keachy

Likes Dirt
Call tekin direct. They'll be doing the warranty work anyway.

camt44

Likes Bikes
Wow thanks for all the replies.

Ok so I think I might try the Loctite fix and give the bike a thorough working over and check all the bolts etc... If it is still playing up, I might speak to the Giant store where I bought it, see what they think, and if it is fixable under warranty I'll call that Tekin place. With Tekin, is that all under warranty? Is the idea just to go straight to them so I can get it fixed quicker than going through a retailer? As I said, it really doesn't sound like a catastrophic issue, it's more just a nuisance. But if warranty fixes it and gives me a new fork, then I wouldn't say no..

Ezkaton, I just meant pulling/pushing the cable which goes internal to the frame and it made this whacking sound on the inside of the frame.

Thanks,

Cam

Keachy

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty sure tekin is fox's go to man for all warranty claims so Rohan has a pretty good idea about all issues re fox warranty work.

Wombatone

Likes Dirt
Used Lanox MX4 on my 2013 forks and it stopped the creaks.
It is lanolin based lubricant and will not damage any plastic or rubber parts and will not wash off with water.
Turn the bike upside down and spray around the stanchions.Let it sit for a few minutes and wipe off access oil. This got rid of all the creaks on my Fox without the need to glue it.
So far 4 month quiet no creaks ,
might work for you as well before going down the warranty track and probably be without a fork for a few weeks.