Cressy Descent, 2013, Practice Sat

Padros

Squid
Hey Brooksy. Do you know what happened in the end with the race and to that guy? I actually came across it just after it happened and then was the one who lead the ambo up to the top of the fire road in my car. I left just after that as I had done my run and knew there would either be a long wait or they would cancel rest of the race.
I've been looking online for updates but have only found your pics so far.

Padros

Squid
Shit. I knew it wasn't good but didn't know it was that bad. I still have footage on my go pro which was running when I came across them giving him CPR. Hope he pulls through.
I'm guessing they wont be posting times of the people who did put down a run then?

Beej1

I'm guessing they wont be posting times of the people who did put down a run then?
You would think it's low on the list of priorities. In the grand scheme of things, everyone driving home in one piece had a small victory yesterday. That's how I felt anyway.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
If you're interested in your times they're still on the live timing part of the VDHS website - if it really matters after something like that...

Just hope Shawn pulls through - not how anyone wants a weekend to go.

For what it counts - hats off top the marshalls for handling the situation so well, and of course the ambos and mica guys.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is terrible news.

Sounds like full credit needs to be given to the first responders here. Quick defibrillation and CPR has hopefully given this guy the best chance possible.

Crossing fingers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Rockhopper

Likes Bikes
holy crap...

I hope Shaun recovers quickly from this terrible incident. No wonder the live timing results stopped early.
so glad I got out in once piece, after seeing 4 ambos heading in after I did my race run I was wondering what the heck!

great work to all the marshals and officials involved for a good weekend anyway.

we'll be back next year.

gts057

Squid
Im trying to figure out if he stacked because he went into cardiac arrest (as per the newspaper article) or if he went into it because he stacked and hit his head? As it says he was on a flat part of the track (where exactly can anyone tell me?) then it sounds like he might have had the heart attack which has caused him to come off?

Hope he is doing ok, if anyone can give an update im sure we'd all like to know and wish him all the best.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Im trying to figure out if he stacked because he went into cardiac arrest (as per the newspaper article) or if he went into it because he stacked and hit his head? As it says he was on a flat part of the track (where exactly can anyone tell me?) then it sounds like he might have had the heart attack which has caused him to come off?

Hope he is doing ok, if anyone can give an update im sure we'd all like to know and wish him all the best.
The accident happened a bit before half way down, just past the small drop were cressy's is at it's closest to turbulence, it occurred on a smooth relatively straight bit of track. No one actually saw it occur, which would have answered the most obvious question, for what ever reason he has come off and it appears the end of a log has gone under the visor and helmet opening at impacted just above the right eyebrow, the helmet looked unscathed (not sure if that was just were he ended up or was part of the incident itself).

I believe I was the first person with first aid training to reach him, he had no pulse or respiration - clinically dead as far as I am aware. The position he was in was very awkward, slumped over the bike - his airway was blocked, he was in that position for perhaps 2-3+ minutes, it's quite possible he suffocated resulting in cardiac arrest. That being said the marshal on site did the right thing by not moving him and calling for help very promptly, the first aid team got there extremely fast and were sensational - they saved his life and deserve full recognition for that. The guys that knocked down the gate, guided the first aiders in then ambos were also sensational.

It was a really, really good outcome from what would have otherwise been a catastrophic ending otherwise.

If anyone doesn't have first aid training out there, it's not expensive and may one day make the difference for someone.

http://www.redcross.org.au/first-aid.aspx
http://www.stjohn.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=25

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Well done MWI for keeping him going until a defib arrived, that is just an awesome job.

Sounds like you've given him the best chance possible.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Well done MWI for keeping him going until a defib arrived, that is just an awesome job.

Sounds like you've given him the best chance possible.
naw the first aid team got there about 30 seconds after me, I only helped them with CPR - someone else ran back to the vehicle for the AED, who ever that was probably was the most important person.

edit: also the marshal that called it in early and got the first aid moving up there, she deserves a lot of credit. Anyone that ever says a thing bad about marshals, who volunteer there time...

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
naw the first aid team got there about 30 seconds after me, I only helped them with CPR - someone else ran back to the vehicle for the AED, who ever that was probably was the most important person.

edit: also the marshal that called it in early and got the first aid moving up there, she deserves a lot of credit. Anyone that ever says a thing bad about marshals, who volunteer there time...
Don't be modest.

If you guys hadn't kept his heart oxygenated and perfused, there wouldn't have been anything to shock with the AED.

Respect.

Padros

Squid
You would think it's low on the list of priorities. In the grand scheme of things, everyone driving home in one piece had a small victory yesterday. That's how I felt anyway.
Um yeah I figured as much dude. That's why I wasn't bitching, just asking. I didn't know the dude but did all I could flying down to my car and getting the ambos to follow me up to the spot (they were trying to find their way in from the car park!)
So yeah its not the most important thing, but don't try and make me feel bad for being curious about what time I put down ffs..

Major

Likes Bikes
Good news at the end! I wish him good and quick recovery.

@Padros - no, these are not all, just few and better ones. I could find maybe 40-50 more (from almost 600 that I took), but not all of them were good (there were pretty crapy ones aswell) :).
I have actually borrowed that camera from my wife and I don't know how to use photo shop (neither i have time and machine to do that), so they are raw and straight from the card. if some wants to play with them, go ahead... I can send them via email in original size.

Cheers