Crit racing Rules?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
And I ride most days and train for 24hrs during the week. I will be fine. So bit of a positive attitude guys.

And seriously, I'm out to give it a go with what I've got, how is that so bad??? Stop whining at me or say something good alright.
It's the curse of riding single speed, you'll get told lots something cant be done by people that have never even tried. Just get out & try, I reckon you'll finish with the bunch easily.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Cheers. I think I'll be goin for about 80-85 with my 52:17. Hopefully I'll get a slow pack for my first one eyy??
Meh, rode my first Crit on the weekend... fun with a capital F U. The surging thing takes a bit to get used to but I reckon on the SS provided they don't decide to sustain the pace it'll work out awrite. Just put the effort in to hold the wheel and wait for the recovery... our race slowed up a bit after mid race as people prepare for the sprint.

Of course... thats unless you get some nutter (guilty) who decides that they can TT off the front with 3km to go... almost worked :) Not that popular with the sprinter boys though :)

I raced club A/B and we averaged about 38-40km/h for 40mins around Heffron... I think my max was 48 when I made a break but not that sustainable :) Data is at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/16518247##

Fixie God

Likes Dirt
It will be intersting to see how I go.

I'm gonna go down the first week and watch what happens and get my bike checked out by the officials, make sure it checks in

Then I'll do some racing

alexb618

Likes Dirt
i wouldnt think you would have many problems in E grade even on a smallish gear

this will likely change when you have to race against people who are stronger/smarter than you though :)

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Fixed????

Let's get this straight: I'm racing Singlespeed in E grade.
Ok, yeah you'll be fine.

alchemist said:
It's the curse of riding single speed, you'll get told lots something cant be done by people that have never even tried. Just get out & try, I reckon you'll finish with the bunch easily.
Dude, I ride a single speed! I just thought it sounded like he was going to rock up and pin a number on for a-grade.

Let us know how you go.

Martin318is

Likes Bikes
Likewise, I think this thread got pulled away from the OP's intentions by a bit of fixie mania introduced by others. Look, the situation is pretty much as I said - if you are strong enough to be competitive on gears in D grade or higher then you will be fine in E on SS (with the right ratio of course - you may not know what that is until after each race...)

Things to watch for or keep in mind on the day:
1) if you see any riders talking towards the front of the pack, expect to see someone jump away in the next lap or two (so get near the front)

2) Stay away from the rear of the pack - no matter how comfortable it feels to be there in the straights, when the pace starts to go on you will need to kill yourself just to catch the back of the main pack again in each straight due to the concertina effect in each corner where you will slam the brakes back on. (so get near the front)

3) Nobody says you HAVE to work turns (no matter whether people in the race actually yell at you to go to the front). (So get near the front - but not in the wind)

4) From about 3 or 4 laps to go, there will be a number of hero attempts by people who may or may not have the strength to last even half a lap at that pace. Don't fall for it and chase them - let someone else. (So get near the front but don't do any work)

5) You may very well feel awesomely strong with 3 laps or so to go but DON'T attack unless you are really sure you can get away (see point 4). There are a lot of other guys around you that may be hiding their good legs and they will mow you down if you don't get a really good break really fast.

6) Riders that are shouting are not necessarily strong - they could just be w@nkers so don't be afraid to hammer them.

7) Riders shouting to each other are not friends, riders talking to each other are not just friends, they are probably plotting against you (see point 1) so if you are reacting to one of those guys, always pay attention to what the other one is doing or you will be double teamed.

8) There will probably be a hero atack in first 2 laps. Pay attention to this one as if they are strong they could get away and make it stick. Also it could result in a counter attack that will be even more savage. Also, if people start jumping the gaps as individuals, pretty soon you will have to jump the gap by yourself too. (so stay near the front)

Summary: Save yourself and don't do anything you don't have to. Stay near the front and keep an eye on everybody even if they look really unfit.

FlyingOff

Likes Bikes
Okie, Thanks for all your help guys.

A few more things though.

How do most people racing crits keep track of time?
Watch? speedo with built in timer?
Or do most people just "go" when everyone starts to "go"

And i'll be running a 48x16 setup. Is there a max rollout in crits?

Prizes.
Cash. Whats it like just to get a rough idea?

climbo

Likes Dirt
Okie, Thanks for all your help guys.

A few more things though.

How do most people racing crits keep track of time?
Watch? speedo with built in timer?
Or do most people just "go" when everyone starts to "go"

And i'll be running a 48x16 setup. Is there a max rollout in crits?

Prizes.
Cash. Whats it like just to get a rough idea?
speedo or lap counting. And usually they have lap cards with 2 to go, 1 to go. No max rollout, ride whatever you want.

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Fixie God, are you racing the CCC wed night crits? SS probably isn't a real problem, as the track is pretty flat (no climbing, no need to change gears). Just dont ride it fixed, once or twice Ive slid my pedals on the ground through that corner, luckily never crashed though, but I try not to pedal through there anymore.