cromo and rust

Roastin

Likes Bikes
righty my gimp is finally in and is being built up as i'm typing this.... anyway its my first cromo bike since the 80's and i've forgotten how to care for it.....is there anyway to hold of rust and corrosion as long as possible?

i know i'll be keeping it nice and lubed and making sure muck doesn't build up, but what about the inside? is there anyway to prevent corrosion of the frame from the inside?

anyone had problems with rust on a cromo frame?

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Roastin, Gimps are solid as anything but all steel/CrMo frames rust from the inside out and the first you'll know about it is when a bubble appears under the paint. But this will take a LONG time... Years and years.

Bottom line there is NO way of keeping moisture out of a frame so if you're going to do anything then it needs to treat the inside obviously. A nice sticky lube... something you can squirt in and slosh around and let drain (years ago motorbikes used fish oil... it stank).

Of course that's going to attract and hold EVERY piece of dirt dust etc that get's in there AND leak little bits out over everything and look like crap.

I've got one of the very first Gimps brought into the country all cut up in the workshop and I can see into every tube and there's nothing but the occassional VERY light surface rust that rubs off with your fingers. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Roastin

Likes Bikes
cool thanks.. thats a huge relief to me.... i guess i'll only have to worry about it more when i bring it over to singapore where humidity is 80-90% most of the time.........