Cross Country tyres for a chick

*Turtle*

Likes Bikes
Hi there,

Just getting back into the scene and I am in desperate need of new tyres. I have 26" wheels and I am currently using Maxxis Ignitor 1.9 on the front and Maxis cross mark 2.1 on the back. I have been told that 2.35 would be good as it will help with my cornering.

I ride around the Sutherland area and at the moment I am mainly riding on fire trails, sand and loose rocks etc. I am getting a bit tired of my front wheel spinning when I get to the top of tricky ascents.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA.

*Turtle*

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Isn't 2.35 a bit big for XC?

I would have thought 2.25 would be the fattest you'd want for that type of gig.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
XC, maxxis Ikons, Ardents if you want a bit more aggressive tread, they're relatively big bags, so 2.2 is as big as you'd need in those. Pushys have the best prices on maxxis rubber in the country, and will have em at your door In a couple of days.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
Definitely go a 2.1 front and 1.9 or so on the rear.

Just out of interest you say your are struggling with the front on ascents?
Have you got anyone following you up? Is yes, try getting some one who is a better climber than you to watch you.
It could come down to bad weight distribution. It worked for me.

*No offence was intended with this post

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Unless you have really narrow rims (ie, 17mm wide between the beads), there is no way I'd be using any 2.1 or 1.9 wide tyres for any sort of XC riding. Higher volume and lower pressure is the way to go if you want to improve traction and with some of the better tyres from Continental and Schwalbe they'll probably end up being lighter as well.

For XC, I like a Conti X-King on the front and a Conti Race King on the rear. Try a 2.2 size front and rear or 2.4 X-King front and 2.2 Race King rear. In the Schwalbe's, a Racing Ralph front and Rocket Ron rear is a popular combo.

With some better rubber, if you're still having front wheel traction problems, then you may need to investigate your position on the bike. In particular, you may need to lower your bars so you can weight the front wheel sufficiently.

*Turtle*

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys for all the feedback so far. I agree my tyres won't solve all my problems and I need to work on my body position and get more weight on my front wheel. It is something I have struggled with for a while.

I am curious why it is good now to have a larger front than rear?

SummitFever, Good suggestion re:lowering front bars, might give that a try. I have a Giant Anthem and I think the rims are pretty standard.

Ducky1988, no offence taken! I appreciate the advice

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah, they are last years so hard to find the grams. Bit old school on the dial but this might help, 26x2.2 protection....
compound? not sure, pre-chilli but just as grippy.
]
View attachment 298747

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
... I have a Giant Anthem and I think the rims are pretty standard...
My daughter rides a medium Anthem X. Here's a side profile pic to see how I had to set it up so she could get a good weight distro on the front wheel:

The seatpost is a zero offset type and the saddle is a bit forward of the mid-point. The stem is short (60mm) but fitted as low as it can go (on the Anthem there is a 15mm conical spacer normally above the headset, this has been removed). The bars are also flat (not risers). However, the fork is a 120mm fork which raises the front end about 15mm over the normal 100mm fork. I can't remember how tall she is, but its a case of long legs and not so long upper torso.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
From my understanding. A wider tyre provides a greater patch of rubber to contact the dirt.
In turn making it better on the front.

A thinner rear lowers rolling resistance and aids in maintaining speed. It also allows a bit of drift to aid in cornering.

The same theories are also reflected in tyre pressure settings.

yada yada yada

Edit: I can't remember where I read it but a good rule of thumb is that the handle bars are best set so when looking from the side
the top of the bars are at the same height of the bottom of the saddle.

If wong please correct me

Last edited:

camo71

Likes Dirt
2.35 in the ignitor is a good size up front as they are quite small compared to other 2.1/2.2 s , good grippy front tyre .
I like the Ardent lust as well , just 2.25 is plenty big enough in that one . Works well on the back to .

stirk

Burner
Ducky

Good average sizing rule but we are all different in size, torso leg and arm length.

My seat height is probably lower than what I should have it set but it's comfortable peddling , even then I'm on my toes if stopped and seated.

I'm a noob but I have learnt by trial and error that tyre pressure makes so much more difference than width when it comes to tyre performance.

I'm 70kg and find 27psi rear 25psi front is good, a couple psi either way depending on the trail your on...

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
Ducky

Good average sizing rule but we are all different in size, torso leg and arm length.

My seat height is probably lower than what I should have it set but it's comfortable peddling , even then I'm on my toes if stopped and seated.

I'm a noob but I have learnt by trial and error that tyre pressure makes so much more difference than width when it comes to tyre performance.

I'm 70kg and find 27psi rear 25psi front is good, a couple psi either way depending on the trail your on...
Yeah man,

Everyones different. it's just a base to go by, I even adjust bar height to some trails

mint355

Likes Dirt
My wife's blur TRc runs Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 on the front and Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 on the rear it's a good combo for various terrain although more so a trail style bike than XC